2018 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship

tc-in-bc

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[  1  ]   Priestman's team looked tired in the last half hour and  she used the same starting  11 in today's match   that was used in  Canada's  last group stage match. In contrast,  Haiti, Mexico, and the USA all rested players in their final group stage matches

[ 2  ]   Canada had the younger team today.  Mexico has no 2001 birth dates on their roster. In contrast, Canada started three 2001 birth dates  : Huitema, Riviere, Antoine.  In addition, Mexico  only have  two 2000 birth dates  on their team and only one started today: Reyes.  In contrast, Canada  has  five 2000 birth dates on their roster and three started today:  Cathro, Grosso and Regan.  Furthermore, 10  out of 11 Mexican starters  are either  1998 or 1999 birth dates compared to Canada's  four in that age range: Foster, Carle, Stratigakis,Taylor.

[ 3  ]  Liga MX femenil is a new  "professional"   Mexican women's league  backed by the big men's league ( save for two  teams )  with a youth development focus.  Everyone is being paid 2500-3000 pesos/month  which an unlivable  amount ( 167-199/month  CAD )  but some clubs have  bumped that amount up to  30 000 pesos/month (  2000/month  CAD ). Rosters are restricted to four players above U23 and four players must be U17s, and all players must be born in Mexico ( no American's with Mexico connection.) Furthermore, the league  --  in it's first year of existence --  got strong attendance figures in 2017. As for youth development, Liga MX femenil  may already be paying  off for Mexico.  13 of Mexico's  U20 roster play in Liga MX femenil and 9 of them began playing last May ( 2017 ) in the Copa Mx tournament. Additionally,  10 of these U20 players played as recently as January 5-6 , 2018  in the first  round of the Liga MX femenil  Clausura 2018.  Though Mexico U20 has six Americans ( some college, some youth )  on their roster;   all of Mexico's group stage goals were scored by  Mexican  Liga MX femenil players like  Cazares, Ovalle, Martinez  and Belen Cruz ( coming  off the bench )  As long as CONCACAF has three slots then Canada  shouldn't be too worried, but  Liga MX femenil is giving Mexican  youth development a bump up

[ 4 ]  We get to see the real Haiti on Sunday.

Full congratulations to Mexico. Yes their league would go a long way to developing quality youth talent and as aptly recognized and put - go figure. 

Youth soccer is very much about passion. Because of the fractured play, more limited awareness and fragile mental skills, at the young ages you can ride it to great lengths.

Our female game used to be about that decades ago when teams feared to play us because of our physicality. Since the millennium our game has become more technical and we're no longer like a Canadian hockey team. That's a good thing at the senior level but at the youth we're probably a bit less effective as a result.

Unfortunate result but we're on the right path. Imagine the girls are pretty disappointed and will come out focused and motivated on Sunday.

There's been a lot of conversation about gender and coaching lately, and I could be wrong but think it may be that the five times men have coached this team they've made the final and the two times women have they haven't. There's of course far more to it than that, but an observation nonetheless.

I don't buy much into the gender of a coach though, there are plenty of men more in tune with women than some women, and conversely some women far more in tune with men then some men. It's about being able to connect with your players and get the most out of them as a collective, and that is genderless. 

Thought we looked nervous going into the shootout and the Mexicans were lighter and more confident. Always foreboding when that happens. The price of being a favourite and young psyches. Not a big fan of the extended-arm-in-arm chanting before PKs. If you want to do that, do it when you've won. The Mexicans had a better approach in letting their players have time and space to collect themselves individually. They also had the right approach in the slow walk up to the ball to keep their heart rates low.

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Also, cough, Jessie, cough, Fleming, cough...

Yes, she would have made a big difference.  However, these tournaments are about providing high-level experience to young players, and about evaluating them at those levels.  Fleming doesn't require either (nor Deanne Rose).  I'm all for using these tournaments to broaden the pool for the senior team, rather than focusing on winning them with the best players possible.

I thought we were either tired or cracking under the pressure today, because there wasn't a lot of continuity to our play.  Carle stood out for me, for providing quality on the field.  She must have been as tired as anyone else on the team, yet her passes and decisions seemed better.  I'm thinking she's got the stuff to make the senior squad some day.

Well if we miss the World Cup there is far more limited evaluating players at the highest level. Reminds me of the old "the greatest good of the greatest number." Would be an interesting debate.

Last thought, the announcers said Jordyn Huitema's PK was weak, I disagree, her sell was ok, unfortunately the goalkeeper wasn't reading her and was going that direction regardless. Sometimes bringing a gun to a knife fight isn't enough.

I agree that using the tournament to test new players is a gamble that can backfire.  But I don't see it as a Utilitarian principle, providing good for the most.  At that age, we mostly don't know who will turn out and who won't.  Many blossom later when they see the path is open for them.  It's too early to weed out all but the best at the time.

The greatest good of the greatest number was a reference to her being there to help ensure they do progress so more players can have a better development opportunity and experience.

And back to Carle, think she has a number of senior Caps already. You could make the argument for her as well.

13 hours ago, Vic said:

Also, cough, Jessie, cough, Fleming, cough...

If we manage a win tomorrow do you think Fleming and Rose will be called up to the world Cup? I get that we are trying to nurture talent but we would be a formidable opponent with a loaded roster.

Foster's keeper play in the 76th, 88th, and 89th minutes was stellar keeping Canada in the game.  I am disappointed not to see Canada advance against the USA in the finals.  Team speed for the USA seems to be lacking somewhat for this age group as evidenced against Haiti and Jamaica.  I think Canada would have matched up well against them.  Canada wasn't really tested until the semis.  I wonder if that hurt them a bit against a good Mexican squad?

This is exactly how Kennedy Faulknor suffered a severe concussion almost two years ago now.(Concacaf u17)

She was unable to play for 18 months. The same dirty nasty and vile play by the very same Haitian team. This is no coincidence or accident. It is deliberate, dangerous and it is evil.

This incident occurred yesterday in the U20 Concacaf semi-finals Haiti v USA

Thanks for posting that.

Yes Haiti are very physical. Didn't see that one but did see the player in question go into some wild challenges before she got thrown out. Perhaps had she been properly warned it never happens.

It was reckless and certainly deserves the red but I don't think she had intent to injure. Just was out of control and didn't have any respect for the opponent or the game.

2 hours ago, Jith12 said:

If we manage a win tomorrow do you think Fleming and Rose will be called up to the world Cup? I get that we are trying to nurture talent but we would be a formidable opponent with a loaded roster.

Wouldn't be the first time a team did something like that but I don't think we'd change tack halfway.

7 minutes ago, Vic said:

Thanks for posting that.

Yes Haiti are very physical. Didn't see that one but did see the player in question go into some wild challenges before she got thrown out. Perhaps had she been properly warned it never happens.

It was reckless and certainly deserves the red but I don't think she had intent to injure. Just was out of control and didn't have any respect for the opponent or the game.

Played and coached ball all my life. I know the distiction between reckless and dirty. Respectfully I disagree. Watch the foul again and look at the placement of her knee as well.

Sure, appreciate your opinion and level headed reply.

I thought she was reckless other times in the game before that. Going in hard and then thinking. I think this was just another example. If you want to take a player out going in with your face isn't a way you'd choose.

I took a very similar tackle  once, but a lot more serious. I never saw it coming but when I came to later was told who did it. The guy was just awkward and reckless. He had no reason to try and end me, he was just competing in the way he knew. 

At the highest levels of the men's game when someone gets taken out, it's usually on purpose as the players are in complete control of their bodies. At lower ends, and especially women's, you get a lot of players who aren't and as a result often some ugly fouls like this.

She had a yellow and the announcers were saying it was a definite yellow, I thought it was a definite red and she should have been sent off prior yellow or not regardless.

I was a little disappointed Canada didn't adapt to that style of play from Mexico.   The pressure was heavy, and perhaps Priestman expected the Mexicans to tire out.  They didn't though.  I was impressed with the Canadian ability to make short, sharp passes and I know that close space, pressured  passing drills are all the rage with youth coaches these days.  The Canadians got caught up against the sideline too often trying to make pretty triangles while the Mexicans poured more defenders in to the fray.  When Mexico pressured and then brought numbers those kinds of short passes weren't going to do the job.  Canada needed to move the ball more than five yards to get away from that.  I wonder why Canada didn't look to switch sides more quickly and isolate the overloaded Mexican pressure?  That, and I havn't been impressed with the finishing by Canada.  I get these are teenagers, but I didn't see much attacking creativity. 

That's just me, though.  I hope they beat up on Haiti, but I am concerned that Haiti is technically sounds, fast, and physical.

15 hours ago, rkomar said:

I thought we were either tired or cracking under the pressure today, because there wasn't a lot of continuity to our play.  Carle stood out for me, for providing quality on the field.  She must have been as tired as anyone else on the team, yet her passes and decisions seemed better.  I'm thinking she's got the stuff to make the senior squad some day.

Carle was so so in my view. She gave up the ball that led to Taylor's foul which led to the free kick goal. This happened a few times thereafter where she would turn back against the goal in her own half to evade Mexican pressure. Flynn also had trouble navigating the pressure. And Huitema was basically marked out the match.

Carle has nice ball skills but her movements are ungainly. Lot of her efforts end up in dead ends.  

11 hours ago, Jith12 said:

If we advance, I think we take Fleming & Rose. Development wise, the U20 tournament is beneath them, but these are players that will be in France the next year. Why not take the opportunity to give them a run out 1 year before, in the country and stadiums of the World Cup the next year? 

17 minutes ago, MrsC said:

If we advance, I think we take Fleming & Rose. Development wise, the U20 tournament is beneath them, but these are players that will be in France the next year. Why not take the opportunity to give them a run out 1 year before, in the country and stadiums of the World Cup the next year? 

Actually, it won't be at stadiums of next year's World's Cup. 

Archived