2018 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship

tc-in-bc

I like to know why Canadian women youth players don't complain about calls. There were at least 2 really bad calls in the Costa Rica match but the feed didn't show 1 Canadian player questioning the bad decision.

Are they told not to or just naive given their age and Canadian soccer upbringing. In contrast, the Mexican & Central American women youth players all know the ins and outs.

You have to at least let the ref they screwed up to make them self-aware of their mistakes.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CONCACAF is sending three teams to the U20 World Cup. I think the odds of Canada and the USA not being two of those three would be over 100-1. It's a fait accompli, the tournament is nothing but a formality.

The group games are against very weak and low-ranking programs.

Costa RIca are 7x our rank and 1/7th of our population and probably 1/70th our player pool.

T&T is the size of Edmonton, they're ranked about 50th. The kids play high school.

Jamaican senior women haven't had a game in years, they were ranked about 125 before they lost their ranking to not playing.

We run extremely intense and committed programs from about the age of 13. These kids we're playing are so far behind us in terms of money, commitment, competition, etc that these games indicate slim to none.  There is very little measure that comes from them. It's like ManU playing Yeovil in the Cup next week. If they load the lineup they'll win, maybe 3-1, maybe 8-1. The score doesn't really matter.

The only real score that matters is how do we do against the Americans. That's our tournament result. The rest is all fake news. 

• 2002 we lost 1-0 to them in the final
  • 2004 we beat them 2-1 in the final
  • 2006 we lost 3-2 to them in the final
  • 2008 we beat them 1-0 in the final
  • 2010 we Morace'd and never played them
  • 2012 we lost 2-1 to them in the final
  • 2014 we qualified as host and never played them
  • 2015 we lost to them 1-0 in the final

Every CONCACAF  U20 final except the year we automatically qualified and the year Morace was involved has been a Canada/USA final and every final has been decided by a single goal.

I don't see it as fake news.  The women's game is progressing.  If we are still on top with the USA, it's because we are progressing, as well.  The opposition is weaker than us, but they have skills and tactics and resolve, and they aren't pushovers.  This is step one in proving we still know what we're doing in developing young players.

I'll agree to disagree. To me it's like the England men playing Andorra or Malta, or perhaps the Faroe Islands. They can frustrate and keep it close but 99/100 times they're going to lose. I see this as similar.

When you're playing countries with a small fraction of your player pool, investment, commitment, intensity of programs, etc - I lean to beating them means just that, as opposed to the quality of your development system.

Flip things around and they smoke us off the field, regardless of who is running their program or how they're running it.

Haiti beat us at the U17 Championship 2 years ago. I don't think we can understimate anyone. I wouldn' t be shocked if we miss a youth World Cup because the goal of the program is to develop players for the senior national team and not to win, so we have about half of the roster that is eligible for the next cycle at the U20's. Heck even at the last U20 World Cup, Mexico did much better than us.

Sure anything can happen. That's the beauty of sport. We've all seen plenty of Cinderella stories.

But they're one-offs and don't repeat or affect the pattern.

I'll buy that to some extent but you could make the same development argument for our senior team. I think we're in this tournament to beat the US and win it, and if there was someone else we thought could help us do that they'd be there.

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Haiti beat us at the U17 Championship 2 years ago. I don't think we can understimate anyone. I wouldn' t be shocked if we miss a youth World Cup because the goal of the program is to develop players for the senior national team and not to win, so we have about half of the roster that is eligible for the next cycle at the U20's. Heck even at the last U20 World Cup, Mexico did much better than us.

Yup.

http://www.concacaf.com/category/under-17s-women/game-detail/260816

If during the next game, Canada isn't better organised, especially in the first 20 minutes, Nérilia Mondésir can lead Haiti to victory. This is especially true if we rest key players like Huitema for the next game.

I'm with Vic. This is akin to England vs Gibraltar. Even the announcers yesterday said the Caribbean nations are far behind and there is nothing on the horizon where we'll likely see some improvement. You'll see some individual skill but no organized team play, no clue what to do beyond the half way line, not athletic enough, weak goalkeepers and poor fitness levels. They mentioned T&T u20 hasn't scored in the second half in about 10 years.

That being said, Canada has been good box to box but missing the final touches to create lots of good scoring touches and then finishing them. Three of Huitema's goals were mostly due to her hustle which will be neutralized when playing actual competitive teams like the USA. In the box defending has also been suspect with Taylor's gaffes and lack of tight marking on corner kicks.

18 hours ago, rkomar said:

I don't see it as fake news.  The women's game is progressing.  If we are still on top with the USA, it's because we are progressing, as well.  The opposition is weaker than us, but they have skills and tactics and resolve, and they aren't pushovers.  This is step one in proving we still know what we're doing in developing young players.

It's not fake. It all happened. It's just a matter of how seriously we take those results. We do have to keep things in perspective.

Not that kind of fake news. Fake news i.e. "Yay we won 4-1. Who did we beat? Are they good? It doesn't matter, we won 4-1! Yay!"

The USA/Jamaica game is pretty crazy. The Jamaican's tied it 1-1 in the 88th minute and the Americans go up 2-1 seconds later. Jamaicans are wild but they're very fast and love to 1v1. Their pace put the fear into the Americans.

8 hours ago, red card said:

That being said, Canada has been good box to box but missing the final touches to create lots of good scoring touches and then finishing them.

A lot of our goals have been questionable goalkeeping. One thing you won't see on an American team with a player pool that big and a country raised on hand-eye sports is weak goalkeeping.

15 hours ago, Vic said:

A lot of our goals have been questionable goalkeeping. One thing you won't see on an American team with a player pool that big and a country raised on hand-eye sports is weak goalkeeping.

Yeah, our third goal was especially questionable. Our finishing must improve, that would never go in against the States. Overall, we're pretty strong, we just have to start on time.

2018  CONCACAF  Women's U20 Championship Trinidad & Tobago .

Haiti  vs Canada                     Monday , January  22 ,  2018      12 pm ( noon )  PT,    3 pm ET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJdsjlzjwc

Nerilia Mondesir plays soccer professionally .  Montpellier gave her a pro contract in August 2016 ( when she was 17 ) and then a  five year extension in  early 2017 --although to date, Mondesir has  only made a few appearances with the first team in Division 1 Feminine and mostly plays with Montpellier U19.  Over the last couple of years, Nerilia  Mondesir has been a real pesky thorn  in  Bev  Priestman's side , with 4 goals scored in 3 appearances over 2 CONCACAF youth tournaments.(  Mondesir was the golden boot winner or shared the golden boot in both of those tournaments.)  Suffice to say, It probably would not look good for Bev Priestman if  Mondesir has a great game today.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:17 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yup.

http://www.concacaf.com/category/under-17s-women/game-detail/260816

If during the next game, Canada isn't better organised, especially in the first 20 minutes, Nérilia Mondésir can lead Haiti to victory. This is especially true if we rest key players like Huitema for the next game.

So will she rest some of the key players or play to win? What would you do? I kind of lean toward giving more players some experience and resting Huitema etc. if they've already qualified for SF

6 minutes ago, BreadBoy said:

So will she rest some of the key players or play to win? What would you do? I kind of lean toward giving more players some experience and resting Huitema etc. if they've already qualified for SF

I think that playing to win makes sense, since it would likely mean avoiding the US in the next game.  I'm assuming that the US will beat Mexico, although I'm not all that certain they will, judging by their game against Jamaica.

2 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I think that playing to win makes sense, since it would likely mean avoiding the US in the next game.  I'm assuming that the US will beat Mexico, although I'm not all that certain they will, judging by their game against Jamaica.

and it looks like Haiti is resting Mondesir

image.thumb.png.b1e1748c8f0172ffd883eb6e6dd2850f.png

Haiti are looking past Canada and are saving their roster for the semi-finals with an eye  towards the first place  match  or third place match.(  winning that third match /third slot is probably Haiti's ultimate goal here )   It's a shame, i enjoyed the battles they gave Canada in the past and Nerilia  Mondesir  always seemed to have Canada's number. 

Archived