Montagliani's successor as CSA president

Kent

So if I am not mistaken, we are 5 days away from a new president of the CSA being elected. We have known for a year that this day was coming. As far as I know we have heard absolutely nothing about who could possibly be the successor. I haven't followed this kind of thing in the past, is this normal for the CSA?

Is there any chance we could see a ceremonial president change, where the new guy is just a puppet for Montagliani? Don't get me wrong, for the most part I like Vic, but anybody that wins a CONCACAF election has a strong possibility of being dirty or at least politically questionable. To be honest, when he first got the CONCACAF job, I was hoping he would step down as CSA president ASAP to avoid conflict of interest issues.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see who takes over, and what their priorities will be. If you hear any rumours about who it might be, post it in this thread.

12 hours ago, matty said:

He has a PhD rather than an MD, for what it's worth. Arguably not the most modest of individuals as you can probably tell from his website, but would no doubt be a lot more competent than the people that have emerged from having clambered their way up through the various tiers of amateur soccer association in the past, which means he probably has no chance given it's the CSA that is involved. Think Peter Montopoli would be the most likely more of the same sort of candidate, but happy to be told that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

33 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Is anyone able to shed some light on a couple things from the link above for me?

"Voting is based on numbers of registered players in regions across the country."

What does this mean? Who is voting on this? Is it like there is a representative from each province/territory, and their vote is weighted based on the number of registered players in their jurisdiction?

"Smale spent three years on the CSA board before it was restructured, denying automatic access to provincial association presidents.

Like Reed, he sees the world Cup bid and CPL as two pillars of the future. He'd also like to see some tweaking of the association's governance, to improve communication and ensure the provinces are a bigger part of the decision-making process."

Is it just me, or does the second paragraph make it sound like Smale wants to undo the changes alluded to in the first paragraph? Power was taken away from the provinces, and now he wants the provinces to be a bigger part of decision-making?

Anyways, glad to finally have some info on this!

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I sincerely hope Ron Smale is not elected if he's looking to pull us back into the past with a governance structure led by the provinces.

I totally agree, isn't that what they tried to move away from when they restructured the board a few years ago?

Does anyone think we are we going to get real time updates on these votes via twitter?

My biggest fears have been realized. We have:

Smale

- wants more provincial power

- Created an absolute mess of a development system in Ontario with Acronyms out the wazoo

Florin

- he was involved in the Quebec Turban ban... woohoo

BC guy

- proposes new league without having involved clubs, two teams choose to go to PDL when he could have convinced them on BCt3

- league doesn't even get off the ground