Montagliani's successor as CSA president

Kent

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He did secure the hosting of a WC in Canada, that is unprecedented.

Did he though ??? Or was he just a passenger on the Victor’s ride. In my view I think he did jack... 2026 was victor’s baby. Also I truly believe the Americans needed Mexico and Canada to get the votes. Remember the Americans were hated on because of Trump during the vote. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Did he though ??? Or was he just a passenger on the Victor’s ride. In my view I think he did jack... 2026 was victor’s baby. Also I truly believe the Americans needed Mexico and Canada to get the votes. Remember the Americans were hated on because of Trump during the vote. 

Well Vic left in 2016 and the vote was in 2018. Regardless of whether you think you can accurately assess the mindset of all voting members Reed plaid a major part in negotiating the right to host. You can be critical but acknowledge the obvious otherwise you just come off as you normally do, like a troll.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Mark Cohon made 500,000 a year ( 4 year deal) at the CFL. So I would think that would be the starting price for a solid executive to be president of the national governing body. 

That's the Montopoli role of General Secretary AKA the CEO.  That's the executive who is paid to run the CSA.   

President is technically a voluntary governance role who hires and fires the Chief Executive

18 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I would love to see Mark Cohon come in and run the CSA. He would be amazing. He’s a great business man, understands what the fans want and cares. What he did for the CFL was huge. 

also I would love to see some former players join the board of Directors like Karina LeBlanc , Carmelina Moscato or Julian de Guzman, Dwayne De Rosario or Craig Forrest. DeRo foundation seems to be doing amazing work. 

Isn't Jason De Vos part of the board or am I mistaken.

Just so we are clear the President and Board of Directors are volunteers

https://www.canadasoccer.com/about-landing-page/board-of-directors/

Board of Directors

The Board of Directors of Canada Soccer consists of a combination of elected and appointed members representing all facets of soccer in Canada who serve on a volunteer basis to guide the organization’s strategic objectives.

Edited by DigzTFC

• 5 weeks later...

I know Nick from my time at McMaster (I was a Commerce student, he was head of the Commerce Faculty). This was about 14 years ago. We played intramural soccer together as well. He was highly competitive and had an incredible amount of energy. Just a great guy all around and I think we’re getting a guy with lots of charisma and enthusiasm. 

3 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

I know Nick from my time at McMaster (I was a Commerce student, he was head of the Commerce Faculty). This was about 14 years ago. We played intramural soccer together as well. He was highly competitive and had an incredible amount of energy. Just a great guy all around and I think we’re getting a guy with lots of charisma and enthusiasm. 

Just curious did he not play for the McMaster university team, I remember him being a very good player, I think he was a striker from my days in coaching youth and men’s soccer and remembering him as a player.

I have hope that Bontis will be a very good choice as president, he has been involved with soccer for a long time at many different levels and obviously has a very strong business background! He has a son who has been involved with the TFC Academy set up as well and he has played the game himself, Nick also showed up to a couple of our Barton Street Battalion meetings before the CPL ever existed, a good choice IMHO!

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Just curious did he not play for the McMaster university team, I remember him being a very good player, I think he was a striker from my days in coaching youth and men’s soccer and remembering him as a player.

Pretty sure he was a striker at Western. 

10 hours ago, SoccMan said:

He was a professor and ran the faculty. We were playing recreational football within the school. I'd assume he was in his 40's at that time. 

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

Yep..  because #Canadian 🙄

If you think a Canadian women's league is viable, you're totally out to lunch. The jury's still out whether a national men's league is actually viable.

If we can get an NWSL club in Vancouver or Toronto, and get a core of the CWNT playing together for that club, it'd be a great advantage for our ladies on the international stage.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you think a Canadian women's league is viable, you're totally out to lunch. The jury's still out whether a national men's league is actually viable.

This tweet sums it up for me

The planet: Invest in women's football, launch a national championship, help clubs to develop.

Canada: Let's sell the idea of buying a franchise in the neighbor's women's championship to private investors.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If we can get an NWSL club in Vancouver or Toronto, and get a core of the CWNT playing together for that club, it'd be a great advantage for our ladies on the international stage.

1. Wasn't that what was supposed to happen when we entered MLS?
  2. Roster Rules? At the end of the day, NWSL, just like MLS sets the rules, not us
  3. A clause that move said team to a Canadian league once it launches?

If those questions were answered with a few "lessons learned" - I'll be the first one celebrating a NWSL club, otherwise you can't be surprised that going the same route as we did with MLS for the women wouldn't worry some fans

• 11 months later...