Montagliani's successor as CSA president

Kent

I didn't read Smale as wanting to undo changes. I think he wants to extend an olive branch so that it's not such an angry relationship between Provinces and the CSA. He has a background in HR so that makes alot of sense.

Lets be honest, more harmony between the CSA and provinces would be a good thing.

However he's not saying he undoes the rules keeping the provinces from having all the power or anything.

@lazlo_80 and @Greatest Cockney Rip Off, I hope you guys are right. The article wasn't very specific so it was hard for me to tell, but I thought it left open that possibility that he could try to return to the dark old ways. From what I have heard from him though over the years I feel like he says the right things, so I would find it a bit surprising if he did in fact want to hand the CSA back over to the provinces. I don't recall his specific views on the CSA reform, but if I did hear his views at the time, I think they would probably be what you remembered GCRO (why should BBTB be the only user that gets an acronym!)

At the same time, with the recent Ottawa youth soccer drama where the OSA is deferring responsibility to the EODSA (hope I got that acronym right), it kind of mirrors the inverted power dynamic the CSA used to have. I guess the OSA hasn't been able to reform under Smale like the CSA did.

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

At the same time, with the recent Ottawa youth soccer drama where the OSA is deferring responsibility to the EODSA (hope I got that acronym right), it kind of mirrors the inverted power dynamic the CSA used to have. I guess the OSA hasn't been able to reform under Smale like the CSA did.

There is more in my mind too. How are SAAC clubs still not in the OPDL? How come that hasn't been fixed? I get that it comes down to a vote, but he needs to do something to win that vote. In fact, that will be a big part of his job at the top of the CSA. Ensuring that he can get the right votes from the key provincial associations to get stuff done.

9 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

There is more in my mind too. How are SAAC clubs still not in the OPDL? How come that hasn't been fixed? I get that it comes down to a vote, but he needs to do something to win that vote. In fact, that will be a big part of his job at the top of the CSA. Ensuring that he can get the right votes from the key provincial associations to get stuff done.

I could be wrong on this (and others who are closer feel free to say so) but I heard from little birdies that SAAC basically said in the end that they weren't interested and wanted to go their own way. The private academy/public club thing is complicated on a few different levels from things I've heard.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Is anyone able to shed some light on a couple things from the link above for me?

"Voting is based on numbers of registered players in regions across the country."

What does this mean? Who is voting on this? Is it like there is a representative from each province/territory, and their vote is weighted based on the number of registered players in their jurisdiction?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is registered clubs that vote. The amount of votes they get is based on the number of players they have. Not 100% sure about this though.

6 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I could be wrong on this (and others who are closer feel free to say so) but I heard from little birdies that SAAC basically said in the end that they weren't interested and wanted to go their own way. The private academy/public club thing is complicated on a few different levels from things I've heard.

That is correct. See the other thread, but essentially while they were originally barred from OPDL, the rules were relaxed, but they decided that subjecting their financials to audit was a cost too high.

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So...

Any info on Mr.Reed and what he stands for? His future plans for Canadian soccer?

Was the Vice President under Montagliani 

Went to the same University as Montagliani (SFU)

Seems like Victor will still have an influence/input into all things, just unofficially. Maybe its our turn to reap the benefits of a crooked CONCACAF? 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

So...

Any info on Mr.Reed and what he stands for? His future plans for Canadian soccer?

That's cool... I do hope he pushes the program even more. More games for all CNT when ever possible and more games in Canada, but spread out throughout the country obviously. Better promotion for games to get many more to come check out the games and find a better TV deal perhaps as well. CPL being created will help a lot, but keep pressuring MLS in making all Canadians in that league to be domestic. Keep the momentum of improvement going for the CSA....

• 3 years later...

Steven Reed won't be a candidate for reelection, current VP Nick Bontis will be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Bontis

For me it's a positive to have someone who seem more than just a manager and actually knows what they are doing. I might be wrong - just my impression

Sports Management Executive

Bontis was appointed Co-Chair, of the Sport Organizing Committee for Men's and Women's Soccer at the 2015 Pan American Games.

Bontis is currently serving his third term on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Soccer Association. As Chair of the Strategic Management Committee, Bontis was responsible for formulating the CSA’s Strategic Plan (2014 – 2018) entitled Leading a Soccer Nation.

On May 6, 2017 Bontis was appointed Vice President of Canada Soccer. On May 7, 2018 he was re-elected Vice President.

On February 11, 2019 Bontis spearheaded Canada Soccer's launch of an updated version (2019 - 2021) of the Strategic Plan entitled Canada Soccer Nation.

Edited by Ansem

I would love to see Mark Cohon come in and run the CSA. He would be amazing. He’s a great business man, understands what the fans want and cares. What he did for the CFL was huge. 

also I would love to see some former players join the board of Directors like Karina LeBlanc , Carmelina Moscato or Julian de Guzman, Dwayne De Rosario or Craig Forrest. DeRo foundation seems to be doing amazing work. 

Sentimentally I’d love to see Holger Osieck take over. I don’t know if he is coaching at the moment or if he would have any interest in this kind of role, but when he was manager 20 years ago he said we needed a league. You were right, and we’ve got that now Mr. Osieck, what next?

19 hours ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

All executive board members like the President and Vice President at provincial bodies (e.g., BC Soccer) and at the CSA are volunteers. So yiah, the pay is not glamorous.

That’s not true. 

Edit: apologies, I’m mistaken. I thought I had read that the CSA Pres and VP were paid positions but it’s been pointed out I was wrong.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He did secure the hosting of a WC in Canada, that is unprecedented.

I thought he was an upgrade on Reed. The 2014-2018 CSA strategic plan could be viewed as a major shift in Canadian Soccer which included a domestic league and World Cup while working with Montagliani.

Also including the willingness to revamp D3 to mirror D3.

I mean, what has Reed done in comparison?

For me, it's an upgrade. We are starting to see the benefits of the changes of direction in Canadian soccer.

At least the guy had ideas - bold might I add. Reed? Nothing - so it's a positive 

Edited by Ansem