2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

11 hours ago, Free kick said:

Point taken Behrouz.   Another interesting tidbit about this match was when the cameras showed the stands.   I saw an aweful lot of empty seats.   What is it about New Jersey that sports teams there draw so poorly?  They lost their NBA team because of poor attendance, their hockey teams has been known for not having the greatest support even in their championship years.   I saw it only from outside, but they may have the best soccer stadium in MLS.  Yet they draw flies.  Teams on one side of the river always draw well out but the teams on the other side of the river its always lousy.    

I now know why the league was so keen to add at team in the city.  

Part of it is also that they weren't expecting necessarily to host a home playoff game as they upset Chicago so they only had three or four days to sell tickets (including to the season-ticket holders) and the game being on a Monday night isn't the greatest either. Although I'm sure the points made by Grizzly also apply.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Club Linesman said:

If the game was held in Toronto under those conditions it would have been a sell out without a doubt.  It was disappointing to see so many empty seats for a playoff game. 

A playoff game in Toronto period is a guaranteed sell out these days. We're starting to become mainstream now on the Toronto sports scene. For the first time ever I heard the announcer state the TFC score on this morning's radio news. We're making strides!

40 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

A playoff game in Toronto period is a guaranteed sell out these days. We're starting to become mainstream now on the Toronto sports scene. For the first time ever I heard the announcer state the TFC score on this morning's radio news. We're making strides!

It should not ever have been this way.  This club has been around for ten years.  The attendance has always been good,  even in the lean years.  And only now it's part of the mainstream?  It's not like this in other Canadian cities with MLS teams, they are every bit a part of the mainstream in those cities and regardless of their record.   For example,  the piece like the one on Vazquez.  We never get that.

55 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

The temporary seats were up last year for the MLS final right?  So the attendance was close to 40 000?  How big of a stadium do you think we could sell out for the MLS final with the Reds playing in it 50 60 thousand?

They were set up for the Grey Cup and the Leafs-Wings Heritage Classic game, but MLSE took advantage of TFC’s playoff run and used them for all 4 TFC home playoff games including MLS Cup 

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

I'd think we could sell out a 55-60,000 seat stadium for a final. I'm not basing this off any fact or supply/demand stat, just my opinion :D

They sold out the skydome for a Concacaf Champions league match in early March a few years back.   Ok, that was a game where David Beckham was in the line up.  But still.  

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

I'd think we could sell out a 55-60,000 seat stadium for a final. I'm not basing this off any fact or supply/demand stat, just my opinion :D

The final last year sold out in half an hour last year IIRC.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

They sold out the skydome for a Concacaf Champions league match in early March a few years back.   Ok, that was a game where David Beckham was in the line up.  But still.  

That was when we were awful too. The team has grown a ton since then both in class and popularity.  Montreal, Atlanta and even Canada have got 60k+ for matches in the last 2 years.. for smaller games than a final. I'd bet anything Toronto fc could sell 90k+ for a final if it were a possibility and that's still being modest.

17 hours ago, jpg75 said:

NYCFC are still the same fragile team as last year. Vieira is a tactical fool. His team were playing as if it was a league game, trying to even the score instead of eyeing the 2nd leg and trying to prevent the blowout.

The keeping didn't help.

Well that was a display of no discipline whatsoever. Gio "I dive when touched" and Jozy "In your face when it is none of my business" will miss the first leg of the next series. 

Oh well at least TFC made it through so I still have a team to cheer for but that type of behaviour doesn't bode well. 

4 minutes ago, TRM said:

Well that was a display of no discipline whatsoever. Gio "I dive when touched" and Jozy "In your face when it is none of my business" will miss the first leg of the next series. 

Oh well at least TFC made it through so I still have a team to cheer for but that type of behaviour doesn't bode well. 

While their behaviour was completely unnecessary given the situation, I wish somebody on the Whitecaps showed half the passion that was in this match during our tie with Seattle.

12 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

While their behaviour was completely unnecessary given the situation, I wish somebody on the Whitecaps showed half the passion that was in this match during our tie with Seattle.

Passion? Total lack of discipline more like it. A contest between Gio & Jozy to see who could be the biggest diving wanker more like it. I was laughing so hard on some of the replays. 

Oh well, season isn't over for canuck teams yet so some good came out of today. 

24 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I'll take the high road and not rail on about the ref. The silver living in Gio and Jozy being suspended is Ricketts starting next week. Maybe even Hamilton...who am i kidding.

It will be Rickets and Osorio. Vazquez will push up to where Gio normally plays.they have shown that look before in the regular season. I can’t see them going with someone less experienced.

That was some really poor leadership skills from all three DPs. Those three were the most heated and completely deserved the cards they got. That being said, in a game where the three top paid players were poor and the refs were overwhelmed to the point of incompetence TFC still pulled through. TFC deserved to go through as well, they didn’t play well, but they were the better team today still. 

Hopefully the team will be more calm in the next game. TFC isn’t really in trouble for the next game. Even without their top two strikers they are better defensively than any other team and more than capable to pop in an away goal.

21 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It will be Rickets and Osorio. Vazquez will push up to where Gio normally plays.they have shown that look before in the regular season. I can’t see them going with someone less experienced.

Well that would be good, but i'm half-expecting Ben Spencer in the Altidore role.

Archived