2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Seattle is up on Houston 1-0 but Houston is playing with 10 men but Lodeiro missed the PK.  Sounders definitely in the driver seat but that PK miss gives Houston some life.  Would think it will be a rematch of the Final last year if all goes according to plan.  

Seattle now up 2-0 and a man :rolleyes:. Please TFC, on the behalf of non-Seattle Cascadia, don't let these fancy coffee drinking assholes win back to back MLS Cups.

50 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Complete bullshit.  Only legitimate explanation is injury but why do I think that is not the case.  Solid road game without major stars.  Win one game at home and now back to the final.  Hurts not getting the away goal but with a full team next week I would hope we dominate from the word go and put Columbus on the road to Austin.  

I hope so too and that we don't play anywhere near as conservative and tentative as we did tonight. Also have to have better composure on the ball when trying to kill the game off because most of the Columbus chances near the end were created from TFC kamikaze give-aways in their own zone and not even from pressure that was that intense.

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

TFC was lucky to get the draw.  Solid result considering the absences, but Columbus pressed them hard for lots of the game and were unlucky not to get a goal out of all that pressure.

See, I"m not even sure there was all that much pressure from Columbus - I thought TFC invited it half the time by playing the ball slowly or getting too fancy and cute with it, which both Bradley and Cooper were guilty of late in the game (it was unfortunately Cooper's only contribution to the game - can we have Cheyrou next time please?)

14 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

See, I"m not even sure there was all that much pressure from Columbus - I thought TFC invited it half the time by playing the ball slowly or getting too fancy and cute with it, which both Bradley and Cooper were guilty of late in the game (it was unfortunately Cooper's only contribution to the game - can we have Cheyrou next time please?)

We were a disaster late in the game.  It's like we were trying to time waste with the ball in our own half but continually failing.. they made no effort to get out of their half it was really strange and should have cost them the game.  

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I dont recall a single chance that CLB had in the first half.  The only chances they had was late in the second half (maybe two) but overall there werent  many chances by either team.   It was a boring game when you think about it.  The first half was the opportunity for TFC to seize the initiative on this tie, but they lacked ideas and couldnt create anything in the attacking half.  But this wasnt because of anything that CLB was doing defensively.

It was as if, they didnt know how to get Ricketts into the game.  With Ricketts you need to get him out into open space and get the balls to him.   The one or two times he was,  the quality balls were lacking; he could have done better on one of them.   Overall TfC controlled possesion well at times.  But when that penetrating ball was needed, they resorted kick and hope balls and crosses and there is no point to this unless unless you have an aerial presence in the box.

i wanted to see cheyrou as well.  It was a good ideas to take out delgado.  He has been invisible to me in these playoffs. But when your first sub is going to bring in a defender, that tells us, what vanney objective was inthis tie.  0-0 is not ateerble result but getting that awaygoalis very important.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Anyone know if Hamilton is out of contract at the end of this season?

Funny you should mentioned.  That might not have been a bad substitution to make in the seond half.  Ricketts for Hamilton instead of Cooper for Hassler.  Dont know why Hassler was taken out for Cooper.  I thought Hassler was Ok. 

When it looked like that they couldnt play the ball into the scoring area and were resorting to hit and hope balls, why not get that poacher in there whose good in the air. 

47 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Funny you should mentioned.  That might not have been a bad substitution to make in the seond half.  Ricketts for Hamilton instead of Cooper for Hassler.  Dont know why Hassler was taken out for Cooper.  I thought Hassler was Ok. 

When it looked like that they couldnt play the ball into the scoring area and were resorting to hit and hope balls, why not get that poacher in there whose good in the air.

Yeah would have been great to have Hamilton dressed for the game, but apparently Vanney thought Ben "no goals" Spencer was the better option sitting on the bench.

9 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Yeah would have been great to have Hamilton dressed for the game, but apparently Vanney thought Ben "no goals" Spencer was the better option sitting on the bench.

As others have said, unless Hamilton is injured this is another questionable move by Vanney, if Ricketts had to come off can you really say Spencer would be a better option than Hamilton? Vanney is always going on about Spencer being the natural replacement for Jozy even though he is no good in the air and Jozy wasn't there to be replaced! Osorio had a good solid match keeping good possession, he tracked back well also, of course he will be nailed back to the bench in the return leg for the very ineffective Delgado but this is how Vanney rolls and who are we to dare question his success? 

29 minutes ago, gator said:

As others have said, unless Hamilton is injured this is another questionable move by Vanney, if Ricketts had to come off can you really say Spencer would be a better option than Hamilton? Vanney is always going on about Spencer being the natural replacement for Jozy even though he is no good in the air and Jozy wasn't there to be replaced! Osorio had a good solid match keeping good possession, he tracked back well also, of course he will be nailed back to the bench in the return leg for the very ineffective Delgado but this is how Vanney rolls and who are we to dare question his success? 

Vanney spells his success S E B A and J O Z Y.  I feel almost like the VAN fans, the team is doing well almost inspite of the manager sometimes.  Delgado continues to start when he isnt playing well, and he leaves a proven scorer off the roster and brings in Captain never scores.  Oh well...I hope his strategy doesnt backfire with a Crew road goal in the return leg.  

On 5/2/2017 at 4:37 PM, Big_M said:

It's pretty clear that he prefers Spencer and Hamilton is not in his plans anymore. Disappointing but not shocking as it's not something new from the club this year.

You can't balm TFC they can't play in that level  Osario is doing Ok. 

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

TFC was lucky to get the draw.  Solid result considering the absences, but Columbus pressed them hard for lots of the game and were unlucky not to get a goal out of all that pressure.

Columbus had only 3 chances. Bradley other than last 10 minutes he was amazing 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

0-0 often works against the home team in the return leg more than you would expect at first glance, because it sets up the scenario of the away team scoring first and then parking the proverbial bus.

It's not ideal (as Vanney said they would have liked to score in Columbus), but it's a hell of a lot better than being down 1-0 or 2-0.

Yeah, that is sort of like the idea that 2-0 so the most dangerous lead in hockey.   Sure there may be a bit of truth to it, but in the grand scheme of things I think it is mostly bullshit.

With 2 of 3 DP's out (pretty much their entire attacking threat), grinding out a nil-nil away isn't bad.  At the start of the series, if you had offered Vanney a single must-win at home to advance, I suspect he would have taken it.

Archived