2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

During the game they said the Alidore/Klesjtian (sp?) red were for violent conduct.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't reds for violent conduct generally carry a stiffer suspension then 1 game.  FIFA norm seems to be 3.  If that was the case, then Altidore could be out for the rest of the playoffs.

At the same time, I don't know if MLS would have the guts to suspend one of their marquee players for that long in the playoffs.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am shocked by the comments on the MLS site, and here as well. That was pretty obvious I thought.

Altidore deliberately sought the red IMO as he was not interested in playing the first leg away  in the US after the last bit of heckling at NYRB. He is betting on winning the cup by only playing at home from here on in. That is how I saw it, anyways. 

I think the question is not just the USMNT players being harassed and booed and insulted. It is also the religious question that seems to have really enraged him, which is why he made a complaint to the league. Usually, if you coach is really in your ear, that sort of self destruct would have been avoided nonetheless. I get they sense they are not really dealing with these sorts of problems at TFC properly. Being a winning team often means some high-maintenance of player egos and sensibilities.

TFC dominated, and when they click are fun to watch, but that was an overall poor performance with no flow to the play, no consistency, and a lot of sloppiness. They are acting like it is all a foregone conclusion, and are coasting, and frankly they have been worse in the last 6 weeks than during the whole year, in terms of mentality, team play, and ambition. I think they'll be lucky to win the Cup they way they are going.

EDIT: take all those "what is it with the empty seats" comments on this thread from last week at New York, and stuff them back, there were plenty of empties in TO today too. Let's see how the TFC excuses work now that they NYRB excuses have been fully discounted as valid.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

EDIT: take all those "what is it with the empty seats" comments on this thread from last week at New York, and stuff them back, there were plenty of empties in TO today too. Let's see how the TFC excuses work now that they NYRB excuses have been fully discounted as valid.

It was full, sold out, just took a while to get everyone in.

First leg had 18,000, this game had 29000, i'm not sure what some empty seats at either game has to do with anything, unless you have an axe to grind.  As for the dust up, it looked like the two of them really had some animosity going.  Maybe some residual USMNT finger pointing between Alitodore and Kljesten.  And to suggest a professional thats played on the biggest stages (world cups/European leagues etc) sought out an incident to get red and miss a playoff game because of the hostile crowd is ridiculous.  He has been known to lose his temper and engage these sort donnybrooks.  I dont think there is anything more nefarious about it.  

I still haven’t yet seen any of the footage but Wheeler and Dunfield said that the footage showed that Klejstan and several NYRB players  we are in an area in the hallways that the opposition players never have any reason or need to be  when whatever it was that happened happened. If that is true, unless several NYRB players got dragged there against their will by mysterious forces, It certainly seems like the New York players instigated whatever happened. In the stands we had no idea what was going on at the time and only noticed something when 10 players came out for each team at the half

Sherm..I dont think Bradley was the guy to settle Altidore down as he got a yellow probably a minute before Jozy got his red.  Not sure what Vanney was doing, I sure would like to know exaclty what happened in the tunnel.  Overall, ugly game, they were lucky not to lose it.  They will be lucky to get much in that next game with the suspensions.  

And if they call up Spencer for that game and not Hamilton...my head really will explode.  

Regardless of who started what, I still think its somewhat shocking to see such animosity between national team teammates. It wouldn't surprise me if the equivalent happened in hockey because the international game isn't what it was and is less of the game overall. But here......imagine seeing footage of Ricketts & De Jong trading punches in a TFC-Caps playoff game (for example)? I tried to imagine it, and I can't.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Let's not forget the NY goal was a total fluke and TFC had 2 probably good goals called back.

Does anyone have any idea why the the Osorio goal was disallowed?  On the way back from the game on street car some people were saying it was due to an offside call.  I watched the replay on the phone and saw no offside.  Now i am reading on the mls site that it was due to a foul.  So i watched again, and i cant find a foul. 

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Does anyone have any idea why the the Osorio goal was disallowed?  On the way back from the game on street car some people were saying it was due to an offside call.  I watched the replay on the phone and saw no offside.  Now i am reading on the mls site that it was due to a foul.  So i watched again, and i cant find a foul. 

On the replay, the linesman had his flag up in the air.  However, the ref did not make any indication that he blew his whistle due to an offside call, as he did not make any of the normal arm motions that refs make when calling offside.  All of his mannerisms seem to indicate he was calling a foul.

I personally did not see anything that looked like a foul.  The tv broadcast showed one replay trying to figure out if Osorio was offside, but it was from a very poor angle.

Any idea why the Vazquez goal was called back?  Unless you ask for 10 yards, you can take it as quickly as you want (unless the ref wants to discuss things with the offender/give out a card).  Caldwell was saying Vazquez must not have asked to take it quickly, but as far as I know, you don't have to ask to do that.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I didn’t see any empty seats other than the few from the traditional slow to arrive fans and I was at the stadium. It was announced as a 30,000 seat sell out and looked like it to me.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

It was full, sold out, just took a while to get everyone in.

Yes.  It was sold out .  And they even added some additional stands behind the north end.   I dont know how anyone who wasnt there could claim otherwise.  

PS when the presale went on roughly two weeks ago,  i went in but was already late by one hour.   Wanted some extras for guests.   The tickets were Already gone there was nothing left.

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

First leg had 18,000, this game had 29000, i'm not sure what some empty seats at either game has to do with anything, unless you have an axe to grind.  

Yup, I saw quite a few empty seats on tv, whatever the attendance numbers you are hawking down might say. And I am talking late 2nd half. Or maybe I was just obsessed about red spots with no people in them.

The axe, as you call it, was pulled out by TFC fans regarding the first leg, just look above on this same thread. Just seems a bit hypocritical to be remarking on poor NYRB support and then playing invisible when it's your turn.

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

It was offside.  Referee's assistant was decisive and in a good position. 

I haven't seen the first half yet but from what I saw in the second half, not having Altidore as a target outlet really showed

Well I am going to stay shocked. At the comments. 

Jozy ruled himself out of the away match at Columbus, seemed obvious as hell to me. I have seen that done literally dozens of times, often by the best players out there. It may not be professional but amongst high-level professionals, it is really quite common.

Are you sure you have really been following the story properly out there, about his being insulted by NYRB fans and then a few picking on his choice to not be ostentatious about his nationalilty, related to his JW background? Otherwise, there is no point to fabricate all that garbage, it was pure theatre.  

6 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Any idea why the Vazquez goal was called back?  Unless you ask for 10 yards, you can take it as quickly as you want (unless the ref wants to discuss things with the offender/give out a card).  Caldwell was saying Vazquez must not have asked to take it quickly, but as far as I know, you don't have to ask to do that.

AFAIK you don't have to ask either. Should have been a goal.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I am going to stay shocked. At the comments. 

Jozy ruled himself out of the away match at Columbus, seemed obvious as hell to me. I have seen that done literally dozens of times, often by the best players out there. It may not be professional but amongst high-level professionals, it is really quite common.

Are you sure you have really been following the story properly out there, about his being insulted by NYRB fans and then a few picking on his choice to not be ostentatious about his nationalilty, related to his JW background? Otherwise, there is no point to fabricate all that garbage, it was pure theatre.  

Don't worry, Jozy has an agreement with Vanney to sit out the first leg. It was all planned. 

This footage of the fight certainly supports the claim that the NYRB players were not even in the right part of the dressing room areas in the first place, hence you can hear (who I think is) Bradley screaming "Why are you here?"

I am not sure who from TFC shouts "Get the fuck out of here!" at the 1:11 mark of this video, but whoever it was, Kevin McKenna would be proud.

I do see Bradley Wright-Phillips throwing a punch at Jon Conway, the goalkeeper coach for TFC.

Go ahead and clutch your pearls UT.  As for online and in stadium abuse, I imagine Altidore has seen alot and probably worse over the years.  If he really wanted to miss the game, he could have faked a hamstring pull in training etc.  No need to get a suspension which could have and still might turn out to be more than 1 game.  And why do you think it was fabricated??  A scuffle in a tunnel between multiple players was all orchestrated for Jozy??  Maybe you should get back to the JFK papers if you are looking for conspiracies. 

23 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Mainly it was due to an incompetent Ref who didn't know the rules (and lost control of the game early on). Although I will give him credit for at least admitting he erred on this play after the game.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Mainly it was due to an incompetent Ref who didn't know the rules (and lost control of the game early on). Although I will give him credit for at least admitting he erred on this play after the game.

Oddly enough, this particular play does not appear to be included in the mls website's game highlights video of the match.

26 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  It was sold out .  And they even added some additional stands behind the north end.   I dont know how anyone who wasnt there could claim otherwise.  

PS when the presale went on roughly two weeks ago,  i went in but was already late by one hour.   Wanted some extras for guests.   The tickets were Already gone there was nothing left.

There were also additional seats added in the north corners (in some ugly looking tent-things with the fans encased in glass) and behind the south end (an even uglier tent-canopy thing with the fans also encased in glass). I am glad they were able to add in extra seats and increase the capacity for the sell out but I am also glad I wasn't sitting in those glass cases

10 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Oddly enough, this particular play does not appear to be included in the mls website's game highlights video of the match.

Just watched it - Neither goal, nor the Giovinco pk shout, nor the obvious trip of Altidore outside the box were shown. I guess the MLS website editor is a biased American or the PRO Referees have more power than I thought

Archived