2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

Relax everyone, UT has spoken  Now he can get back to posting in the Vancouver playoff thread...OOPS!  There isnt one.  I've seen this many times before, Posters whose team was eliminated, shit posting in another teams thread.  Posters who want to get home early for x-mas etc etc.  Anecdotal comments about empty seats when he ignores the actual attendance numbers.  Staged fights in the tunnel (how they got all the Red bull players to cooperate I'm dont know) so guys can get home and binge watch NETFLIX. 

If players dont skip games in front of racist banana throwing fans, why would Jozy worry about USMNT hecklers??   

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also add that I think that the 2 yellow cards in two tournament games equals a suspension is a dumb rule.  If you don't have a harsh rule like that in the regular season, where I think you have to get 5 before you are suspended, why bring one in like that just for the playoffs?

I think the World Cup does something similar and it is equally dumb.  The end result always is a vital player getting suspended for picking up two ticky-tack cards in previous games, some of which are totally dependent on which ref you happened to have.

3 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I would also add that I think that the 2 yellow cards in two tournament games equals a suspension is a dumb rule.  If you don't have a harsh rule like that in the regular season, where I think you have to get 5 before you are suspended, why bring one in like that just for the playoffs?

I think the World Cup does something similar and it is equally dumb.  The end result always is a vital player getting suspended for picking up two ticky-tack cards in previous games, some of which are totally dependent on which ref you happened to have.

Amen that two yellow card rule in the playoffs is a joke, it's not that hard to accumulate two yellow cards in two games makes no sense.

3 hours ago, gator said:

You know this will be the case, Vanney constantly says Spencer is a better replacement for Altidore even though he is poor in the air and cannot score!

I suspect they will just play Ricketts as a lone striker and have Hamilton on the bench as his replacement. Spencer is not a like for like replacement for Ricketts by any stretch of the imagination and Not even Vanney can make a personnel decision based upon nepotism in a playoff game.

More worrying to me is that in a five man midfield, Vanney will stick with starting Delgado who has been poor two playoff games in a row and I am not getting a good vibe that this streak of his will end absent a benching. I would prefer Cheyrou to start in Columbus. I would also prefer Edwards over Morrow when we go on the attack but I won’t hold my breath for that one

Now we return you back to your regularly scheduled program ....

About Columbus. Discount their ability and current form (hot keeper) at your own peril. One thing you need to really keep in mind is that your defenders are a banged up bunch and they will be facing Manneh who is fast as they get. I'm not sure how your defence will fare against him. 

Good luck and for goodness sake stay focused!!!

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

More worrying to me is that in a five man midfield, Vanney will stick with starting Delgado who has been poor two playoff games in a row and I am not getting a good vibe that this streak of his will end absent a benching.

In this match he was the highest rated starting mid for TFC according to the analytics available online, fwiw.  I only saw the second half and wasn't really paying special attention to his play (apart from a poor pass played behind Beitashour). 

I too, think it will be Ricketts as the sole forward. And perhaps Osorio starting in midfield.  Also I didnt see anything from Delgado in these two games, so i suspect he may sit.  I like the idea playing Cheyrou, especially on the road in Columbus whereby you would have two d-mids with Bradley and Cheyrou. 

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I suspect they will just play Ricketts as a lone striker and have Hamilton on the bench as his replacement. Spencer is not a like for like replacement for Ricketts by any stretch of the imagination and Not even Vanney can make a personnel decision based upon nepotism in a playoff game.

More worrying to me is that in a five man midfield, Vanney will stick with starting Delgado who has been poor two playoff games in a row and I am not getting a good vibe that this streak of his will end absent a benching. I would prefer Cheyrou to start in Columbus. I would also prefer Edwards over Morrow when we go on the attack but I won’t hold my breath for that one

Ricketts as lone striker makes sense for first leg, with a midfield clogged five across. Delgado wasn't as awful as you suggest. The entire midfield was not especially strong, to be honest. Morrow seemed to be struggling, but I credit NYRB for how they never really let TFC find their groove. I DO like the idea of Cheyrou, especially when Bradley will likely be forced to play an even more defensive role in Columbus. I want Edwards to become amazing, but I'd be reluctant to put him. Seems too much of a liability, at least relative to Morrow.

If TFC is disciplined in Columbus--i.e. keep their shape and make it difficult for Columbus to break them down--then I could see TFC nicking the away goal.  

I think the big difference between Giovinco/Altidore and Ricketts is that Giovinco and Altidore can create their own opportunities where as Ricketts seems to be a be in the right place at the right time type of player.  So if TFC plays more of a defensive game in the first leg, asking Ricketts to create his own scoring opportunities up front by himself may be too much to ask.  Of course, if TFC's whole strategy is to catch Columbus on the counter, then Ricketts speed and a Vazquez through ball/long ball might be all TFC needs.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

In this match he was the highest rated starting mid for TFC according to the analytics available online, fwiw.  I only saw the second half and wasn't really paying special attention to his play (apart from a poor pass played behind Beitashour). 

If he was that shows that the stats can be really deceptive. When Osorio was being brought on I was positive it was going to be for Delgado and apparently I wasn’t alone as Dunfield said the same thing on the radio after the game. The consensus seemed to be that so far the occasion has somewhat overwhelmed him 

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If he was that shows that the stats can be really deceptive. When Osorio was being brought on I was positive it was going to be for Delgado and apparently I wasn’t alone as Dunfield said the same thing on the radio after the game. The consensus seemed to be that so far the occasion has somewhat overwhelmed him 

Like I said, I haven't seen the whole game so I can't put a real eyeball test on Delgado's performance.  And you can certainly take these analytical assessments with a block of salt because I can think of some players in the past whose style of play is stats-friendly but at the end of the day doesn't contribute much.  

Cheyrou wasn't on the bench for either NYRB leg, right?  I wonder if the coaching staff has doubts about whether or not he has the wheels and the engine to deal with the defensive side of the task at hand?  I could see him being a late game option to sit on the ball and help with possession but I really don't see him starting, not if they plan to continue with three in the back wingbacks.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:04 AM, Gian-Luca said:

The problem is that once the play is restarted, the VAR loses any chance to have his say, and NYRB put the ball into play again almost right away. It's a flaw in the process. The VAR may (and now having seen the play on the replays, should) have flagged this for the Ref to review because Osorio was definitely on-side - Long, the furthest back of the three NYRB confronting Giovinco, definitely plays him on. But it's only the third replay angle they show which proves that and I bet by the time the VAR sees that, the game is back on and there isn't anything the VAR can do about it.

I was surprised that Osorio didnt much argue the play other than to act surprised.  That was another problem.  This proves that it pays to have those situations whereby players suround the ref and take turns pleading their case.  

On 06/11/2017 at 12:04 AM, Gian-Luca said:

The problem is that once the play is restarted, the VAR loses any chance to have his say, and NYRB put the ball into play again almost right away. It's a flaw in the process. The VAR may (and now having seen the play on the replays, should) have flagged this for the Ref to review because Osorio was definitely on-side - Long, the furthest back of the three NYRB confronting Giovinco, definitely plays him on. But it's only the third replay angle they show which proves that and I bet by the time the VAR sees that, the game is back on and there isn't anything the VAR can do about it.

So then why doesn't the ref prevent the free kick from being taken before VAR makes their decision? It is a loophole in the system so that if a team kicks off quickly VAR can't complete It's review.

Now we get to see Tos run wild and the extensive depth of our team come into play.  Not having Altidore and the talented but petulant Giovinco, we will truly need to use our depth and vary our tactics to at least ensure a draw in leg 1.  Columbus will be a relative challenge missing some key pieces but as Dub Narcotic said above, maybe a bit easier for TFC then the Bulls of Red.  Try to steal an away goal, but settle for 0-0 and come home and play with a full squad and on the the Final!

On 10/24/2017 at 11:39 AM, Jith12 said:

This is great to see! Surprised that they didn't invite Beitashour. I swear that he is Kadri's long lost twin.Steven-Beitashour.jpg?null&itok=SJyP4FfFnazem-kadri-2015-38.jpg

So in tonight's Leaf game they did in fact invite Beitashour and interview him on TSN during the 2nd period and he admitted that Kadri was his favourite Leaf player by default because everyone tells him they look alike and assumes they are related. Hilarious!

Ben Spencer on the subs bench instead of Jordan Hamilton for leg one of the semi final. If Hamilton is not injured then it's a completely unjustifiable selection and reluctantly Jordan may have to leave town to get past what appears to be a biased coach who favours prodigal sons. Or if someone else can justify it based on 2017 production or Spencer being a more like for like replacement for Ricketts, be my guest

Complete bullshit.  Only legitimate explanation is injury but why do I think that is not the case.  Solid road game without major stars.  Win one game at home and now back to the final.  Hurts not getting the away goal but with a full team next week I would hope we dominate from the word go and put Columbus on the road to Austin.  

Archived