March in Scotland

Fifth Official

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, David C. said:

So, will this be the long awaited debut for Gasparotto (despite not playing much lately)?

He's started every game for Falkirk this year except the last two, one of which he subbed on. He's by far our leading CB at the moment in terms of minutes.

I would like to see him make his debut. It's time.

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

I'd imagine we'll be having a second friendly if we're in Europe for that window.

The best scenario based on current qualifiers and friendlies  scheduled would be Scotland and then play Wales on the Tuesday (in Wales). No need to even leave the UK. The Welsh have a WCQ on Friday night and no second opponent for a friendly on the days after. There was talk of Spain and Argentina but both options seem to have been unrealistic.

I know everyone, or almost, clamours for a second friendly immediately after getting a first. It is automatic on this board. We'd play three if someone could dream it up (and do a logo for the three games ;)

Fact is, if you play games you can't train. You can't train the day of, and the next day those who had minutes can't do a full session either. So two days lost. 3 or 4 if you play twice. So if there is a coach with an idea about what sort of team he wants, he can't train any of it with any effectivity. This is why, I think ,you have to play a single game, and work on everything else in intense, team-building scrimmages and training.

In any case, all the guys on the call-up will have been playing games. None will have been training with his Canada teammates. 

Of course, if we dont have a new coach in place, and have no serious plan about about preparing for the Gold Cup, and we call up anyone who cares who and be refused by guys for who knows what reason --- hey let's get the guys in Scotland third division, because it doesn't matter, and we may as well add Feroe Islands in there, the more friendlies the merrier.

BTW, I am happy we are playing, bothered we have heard nothing about who is going to use these experiences to prepare our summer tournament.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:54 PM, shermanator said:

He's started every game for Falkirk this year except the last two, one of which he subbed on. He's by far our leading CB at the moment in terms of minutes.

I would like to see him make his debut. It's time.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I still agree that Luca is well deserving to be part of the CMNT going forward. My worry, on the club side, is that he appears to have lost his starting spot to a kid named Peter Grant (b. 1994). His recent starts were mainly due to their captain David McCracken being out (presumably injured). Anyway - hopefully Luca regains his regular starting spot soon. McCracken (b. 1981) is getting up there in age, so you never know. Cheers!

On 14/01/2017 at 7:08 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

and we may as well add Feroe Islands in there, the more friendlies the merrier.

FUCK I actually now want this game. Findlay wants games here so let's whine to the CSA and make the first Arctic Cup happen! Whoever wins gets it and they hold the title until they lose to a fellow Arctic nation.

BAM! Canada is now actively in competition with the Faroes, the US, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Russia!

After 2 years of living in Manchester and waiting for a senior mens game in the UK while watching the WCQ back in my home of Vancouver via crappy streams early in the morning, I finally get my wish of a game here. Only to realize I'll be back in Vancouver for my best friends wedding. DAMN YOU CRUEL WORLD! AND CSA!

1 hour ago, DerHoota said:

After 2 years of living in Manchester and waiting for a senior mens game in the UK while watching the WCQ back in my home of Vancouver via crappy streams early in the morning, I finally get my wish of a game here. Only to realize I'll be back in Vancouver for my best friends wedding. DAMN YOU CRUEL WORLD! AND CSA!

For safety's sake, I hope we never meet.  I think we're the same person from different universes.

2 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone have any concrete info on this? I really want to get everything booked asap before train prices get too expensive. 

Also, anyone thinking of going? I might go solo and would like to split a hotel or air bnb.  

I'm thinking of going up from Ipswich, kind of hoping it will be in Edinburgh as I have a friend at uni there. But I'd most likely be looking at something like that too

On 1/17/2017 at 2:32 AM, matty said:

FUCK I actually now want this game. Findlay wants games here so let's whine to the CSA and make the first Arctic Cup happen! Whoever wins gets it and they hold the title until they lose to a fellow Arctic nation.

BAM! Canada is now actively in competition with the Faroes, the US, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Russia!

I thought this 'Arctic Cup' was a really interesting idea, so last night I whipped up a script to pull every result from one of those teams from the FIFA website and compile them. I awarded a trophy on a challenge basis (beat the holder, win the trophy).

In brief:
- 780 games have been played between Arctic countries, stretching back to 1908
- 125 of those were 'title games'
- Russia are the current holders of the Arctic Cup, and they've held it since 2012
- Every team save Canada and Faroe Islands has held it
- Sweden has held it the most times: Seven
- Russia held it for the most consecutive defenses (17), but Sweden has had the most successful defenses of all time (36)
- Canada has played 52 matches with other Arctic countries and has a 11-15-25 record.
- Canada has played for the Arctic Cup four times: 1976 & 1986 vs USSR, 1989 vs Denmark, and 2008 vs USA.

Here's who's won the "Arctic Cup" so far (number in brackets is the number of successful defenses of the cup they had).

1908: Sweden (6)
1913: Russia (3)
1958: Sweden (7)
1960: Norway (0)
1961: Finland (0)
1961: Sweden (3)
1962: Norway (1)
1963: Finland (2)
1964: Norway (1)
1964: Denmark (0)
1965: Soviet Union (17)
1985: Denmark (0)
1985: Soviet Union (7)
1987: Sweden (4)
1988: Denmark (7)
1991: Sweden (6)
1994: Denmark (0)
1994: Norway (0)
1994: Sweden (5)
1996: Denmark (0)
1996: Norway (2)
2000: Finland (2)
2003: Norway (0)
2004: Denmark (6)
2006: Sweden (5)
2007: USA (2)
2009: Denmark (6)
2012: Russia (5)

Here's a link to every single game between two Arctic nations: http://pastebin.com/EH9NgQJY

27 minutes ago, grande said:

I thought this 'Arctic Cup' was a really interesting idea, so last night I whipped up a script to pull every result from one of those teams from the FIFA website and compile them. I awarded a trophy on a challenge basis (beat the holder, win the trophy).

In brief:
- 780 games have been played between Arctic countries, stretching back to 1908
- 125 of those were 'title games'
- Russia are the current holders of the Arctic Cup, and they've held it since 2012
- Every team save Canada and Faroe Islands has held it
- Sweden has held it the most times: Seven
- Russia held it for the most consecutive defenses (17), but Sweden has had the most successful defenses of all time (36)
- Canada has played 52 matches with other Arctic countries and has a 11-15-25 record.
- Canada has played for the Arctic Cup four times: 1976 & 1986 vs USSR, 1989 vs Denmark, and 2008 vs USA.

Here's who's won the "Arctic Cup" so far (number in brackets is the number of successful defenses of the cup they had).

1908: Sweden (6)
1913: Russia (3)
1958: Sweden (7)
1960: Norway (0)
1961: Finland (0)
1961: Sweden (3)
1962: Norway (1)
1963: Finland (2)
1964: Norway (1)
1964: Denmark (0)
1965: Soviet Union (17)
1985: Denmark (0)
1985: Soviet Union (7)
1987: Sweden (4)
1988: Denmark (7)
1991: Sweden (6)
1994: Denmark (0)
1994: Norway (0)
1994: Sweden (5)
1996: Denmark (0)
1996: Norway (2)
2000: Finland (2)
2003: Norway (0)
2004: Denmark (6)
2006: Sweden (5)
2007: USA (2)
2009: Denmark (6)
2012: Russia (5)

Here's a link to every single game between two Arctic nations: http://pastebin.com/EH9NgQJY

Did you not count the 1904 olympics?

Archived