March in Scotland

Fifth Official

14 hours ago, matty said:

Did you not count the 1904 olympics?

No; I was using the data on the FIFA website, and they don't include it, as FIFA doesn't consider them to be official matches. Possibly because they weren't national teams, but that's speculation on my part.

Edit: I just noticed that it's currently including age-grade games, so it's not entirely accurate... I'll see if I can filter those out.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, grande said:

No; I was using the data on the FIFA website, and they don't include it, as FIFA doesn't consider them to be official matches. Possibly because they weren't national teams, but that's speculation on my part.

Edit: I just noticed that it's currently including age-grade games, so it's not entirely accurate... I'll see if I can filter those out.

Fair enough most do not

I really like what you've done here @grande, and since you seemed to be able to generate this so quickly, I wonder about what the "modern era" arctic cup champions would look like.

My idea/curiosity is this. Sweden were the initial champions because they won the first game that was held between arctic nations (against Norway). What would happen if you gave a cup to each country that won their first game against an arctic nation. For example, Denmark won their first game against Norway, so they get a second cup. USA won their first game against Sweden, so they get a third cup, etc. At what point would all these cups become unified, thus making a more comprehensive champion?

Sidenote: Holy crap Denmark was stomping teams early on!

On 1/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone have any concrete info on this? I really want to get everything booked asap before train prices get too expensive. 

Also, anyone thinking of going? I might go solo and would like to split a hotel or air bnb.  

Thinking of taking the day off work - flying up then taking a late night train back if this materialises. 

On 1/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone have any concrete info on this? I really want to get everything booked asap before train prices get too expensive. 

Also, anyone thinking of going? I might go solo and would like to split a hotel or air bnb.  

Hoping to catch a train back from Manchester if my flight from Vancouver gets back in time. I'll be jaded if I can't see this game, especially since one of my buddies from my program here is a tartan army supporter.

I moved to England last year, and if this match is a go, then I'm on the train north and I'll be there.

Now that I think of it, I believe I've only ever been to two Canada matches that were actually in Canada -- I guess I'm a bit of an expat-only Voyageur.

I went in 2002. We went through Morgan Quarry to arrange a section with the Scottish FA. They gave us section 10 (about 330 seats) in upper corner and we sold them all. There were only about 15 of us from the forum that went, but it filled up with expats and exchange students and what-not. We had our own private entrance and a few security guards between us and the rest of the ground. 

I assume it would't be hard to have the same arrangement this time and probably something even a bit more modern and organized. 

cheers,

matthew

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

thanks for the info.  Just tweeted the SFA, i'll see if they get back to me unless someone has an email address?

Let me know what you get for a reply. Im done uni in a week and halfand will be more than happy to help sort anything out. Would love to get the word out and fill a potential supporters section with any and all canadians over here and from home.

1 minute ago, DerHoota said:

Let me know what you get for a reply. Im done uni in a week and halfand will be more than happy to help sort anything out. Would love to get the word out and fill a potential supporters section with any and all canadians over here and from home.

Cool. I'll keep you updated. I also emailed the generic SFA address from their website. So hopefully one way or another, I get some info. 

2 hours ago, matthew said:

I went in 2002. We went through Morgan Quarry to arrange a section with the Scottish FA. They gave us section 10 (about 330 seats) in upper corner and we sold them all. There were only about 15 of us from the forum that went, but it filled up with expats and exchange students and what-not. We had our own private entrance and a few security guards between us and the rest of the ground.

I don't even think it was many as 15 from Voyageurs - I think there was maybe about 8 of us. And it's really strange to think that that game & trip was almost 15 years ago now......

21 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Just heard back from the SFA, they said any tickets sold for a Canada section would be done through the CSA. 

Now does anyone know who at the CSA I should contact about this?

Probably Morgan Quarry. He took care of our tickets in San Pedro Sula. Also it seems like Arfield's brother and father (and maybe other friends and family) want to be in the away section with you guys. :)

Archived