How should the CPL win over Canadian Euro snobs

Guys, I need your advice. I have this young guy in his late 20s born in Poland. He immigrated to Canada when he was 13 with his parents. He's now a Canadian citizen as of 10 years ago. Every Saturday, he devotes his time to the local soccer community in my district. He also trains referees at the local level. He really cares about the grassroots in our community. I command him for his great effort and his compassion to the local soccer community.

Yesterday, I approached him and talked to him about the CPL. He started to laugh at me and called me crazy. He even said that the whole CPL is a complete joke and it will never be better than the Premiership, la LIGA, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc... Other than that, he even thinks that MLS is a Mickey Mouse crappy league. I was really upset with him that I wanted tell him: "So why are you in this country, if our league system is so bad...." but I didn't.

The bottom line: How do you win over these types of EURO-CENTRIC SNOBS? What does the CPL needs to do to win over these types of people?

you can't really...perhaps his kids will someday

He's from Poland, cut him some slack :D

You got to see it from his perspective too. My dad lived in France before moving here and can't take North American soccer seriously...except Mexico

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

you can't really...perhaps his kids will someday

He's from Poland, cut him some slack :D

You got to see it from his perspective too. My dad lived in France before moving here and can't take North American soccer seriously...except Mexico

Thanx Ansem...But I was really hurt by his comments.

It doesn't seem like he's a real football fan. He may be volunteering because it's something he can relate to and enjoys doing something for others but it doesn't sound like he's a fan of football.

To me real fans of any sport can find enjoyment in any level. I enjoy CIS level sports for what they are. I enjoy the NASL for what it is. I enjoy junior hockey for for what it is. I also enjoy the NCAA, the EPL and the NHL. 

I don't know him so I really can't judge, but that's my two cents.

I don't really think it needs to win them over to succeed (the casual fans are who it needs) and I've found most that original hate on MLS when they come over adapt and watch it. Knew a few Irish guys, 1 a massive Liverpool nut and the other a Man U fan, that totally thought MLS was shit but over time they casually started watching it because A) it's pretty easy to follow and B ) there is no league soccer aside from it going on in the summer. They both thought it was shit compared to EPL but both watched (one got really into the Sounders too).

2 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't really think it needs to win them over to succeed (the casual fans are who it needs) and I've found most that original hate on MLS when they come over adapt and watch it. Knew a few Irish guys, 1 a massive Liverpool nut and the other a Man U fan, that totally thought MLS was shit but over time they casual started watching it because A) it's pretty easy to follow and B ) there is no league soccer aside from it going on in the summer. They both thought it was shit compared to EPL but both watched (one got really into the Sounders too).

Do you think over time, this Polish guy will buy into the MLS and CPL idea. 

I think there is an argument to be made to at the very least give him something to chew on that stems from the fact that he volunteers in grassroots soccer. Simply ask him, do you want grassroots soccer in Canada to get better? Would you like if the steep decline in enrolment when kids approach their teenage years to slow down? Do you want the kids you coach to have a realistic and tangible professional soccer goal to which they can aspire? Then support your local leagues whatever they may be, not just CanPL, but MLS, NASL, USL, CIS, PDL, L1O, or whatever is around. 

I had a similar experience with a longtime friend and colleague who coaches at several levels and played CIS. He said he would never go watch the CanMNT because they are crap. Now besides the fact that he hadn't actually watched a game and couldn't name any of the players, I used the rationale above but took it two steps further. First I said that his kids should know who their potential local/Canadian soccer heroes are because if they don't, making EPL or La Liga and being Messi seems like a pretty far off dream. But secondly, I said that he played at a reasonably high level, but was never anywhere close to being good enough to play for the CanMNT, so to call them crap is basically insulting himself, all the guys he ever played with, and all the guys he ever coached (in fact one guy he plays with is an ex CanMNT so this hit home a bit). Additionally, people came to watch him play for the UofS Huskies, and those who did likely weren't sitting on the sidelines belly-aching about the fact that it wasn't Champions League. 

Anyway, I hear you and I've felt the same numerous times. But to be honest, being hyper-sensitive about what people say about the national teams, CanPL, MLS, Canadian soccer in general, etc, etc is such a major character flaw in practically all of us (myself included) that we would do well to come to grips with this proclivity. It certainly doesn't serve us well. 

Well I would ask him why Poland has a league? They will never be better than the EPL or Bundesliga etc.

Anyone who thinks we are trying to make something that would in any way, shape or form be the equal of these top leagues is ignorant of how football works.

Yeah, you won't win him over in one conversation. If you have a local team that you can go to games, tell him the next day or whatever "I was at the Winnipeg Valour game last night. They went down a goal early but got one back in the 60th, and then after a penalty save later on, got the winner in the 87th! It was a great time." If he says "That league is shit though. I bet it was my grandmother that scored the winner!" Just reiterate "I had a great time. My voice is still a bit rough after yelling and singing" and move on. Over time, he might open up to it, or he might not.

I do also like Rob's response. That's good for a one off conversation.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I think it's simple. Forget about this guy. Focus your energy on those who show an interest. Don't waste your time on those who think CPL is a joke. There will be a lot of them.

This.  On all counts.

There will be many people who shit on all aspects of CPL.  When it is announced.  When it is launched and only gathering limited support.  And even when it is humming along nicely.  They will still see it as bush league.  

Fans of Canadian footy will support the league not only for what it is, but what it does for player development and what it could become.  But lots of people won't have the same buy-in.  The best bet, for all involved, is to collectively grow the league to a point where the quality of the product on the field, and the experience in the stands, will attract the neutrals.  Because at the end of the day, patriotism and hope will not be enough to sustain the league over the long term.

4 hours ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Guys, I need your advice. I have this young guy in his late 20s born in Poland. He immigrated to Canada when he was 13 with his parents. He's now a Canadian citizen as of 10 years ago. Every Saturday, he devotes his time to the local soccer community in my district. He also trains referees at the local level. He really cares about the grassroots in our community. I command him for his great effort and his compassion to the local soccer community.

Yesterday, I approached him and talked to him about the CPL. He started to laugh at me and called me crazy. He even said that the whole CPL is a complete joke and it will never be better than the Premiership, la LIGA, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc... Other than that, he even thinks that MLS is a Mickey Mouse crappy league. I was really upset with him that I wanted tell him: "So why are you in this country, if our league system is so bad...." but I didn't.

The bottom line: How do you win over these types of EURO-CENTRIC SNOBS? What does the CPL needs to do to win over these types of people?

I find a lot of these types tend to be the ones who go "soccer isn't big over here, and never will be," and they're not people who hate the game, but ones who have grown up with it and love the sport. BBTB fits the bill. Anyhow, I do find that these individuals will come out of the woodwork and see a game live if they're nudged and/or it becomes trendy, ala TFC. IMO, like Kent said, give it time and they'll eventually come over.

It's odd considering it may actually be easier to convert a soccer hater into a CPL/MLS lover than a EURO soccer lover into a CPL/MLS lover. The irony.

The easiest way to win over Euro snobs is to cut off all ties with MLS and our rubbish neighbours. The US and shitty MLS really taint the game. All CPL needs to do is be better than MLS and get people that can develop the game properly without gimmicks.

Btw MLS is total rubbish and the more Canadians belittle that league the more respect we will get from the world.

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This.  On all counts.

There will be many people who shit on all aspects of CPL.  When it is announced.  When it is launched and only gathering limited support.  And even when it is humming along nicely.  They will still see it as bush league.  

Fans of Canadian footy will support the league not only for what it is, but what it does for player development and what it could become.  But lots of people won't have the same buy-in.  The best bet, for all involved, is to collectively grow the league to a point where the quality of the product on the field, and the experience in the stands, will attract the neutrals.  Because at the end of the day, patriotism and hope will not be enough to sustain the league over the long term.

CPL can EASILY be better than MLS. MLS is bush league, it has been for the past 20 years and will still be 20 years from now.

And to the OP, tell your Polish friend that Canada HAS NOTHING TO DO with the USA and agree that MLS is a crappy Mickey Mouse league (because in reality it is). Tell him that Canadians are more knowledgeable and tolerant towards Europe than our neighbours and the CPL is serious about improving Canada's game and we're open to advice and ideas from European leagues. Sure, the CPL won't reach the Europe top 5, but it can and should be an effective place to grown and develop players for the PL, La Liga, etc.

Bottom line Canadians agree that MLS is an unskilled bush league that will never improve and Canada needs to disassociate with that pile of crap and launching the CPL is the 1st step.

For me the answer is simple. If you wanna follow a team in one of the top European teams you sit in front of your monitor streaming the games or if your lucky enough to be in a major city watch them at a sports pub. If you choose to also support a CPL team you can sit in a stadium with thousands of other fans, enjoy some warm sun, sip on some cold beer and cheer on your team in person.

This is why I think it is important to have teams coast to coast INCLUDING the east coast.

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

For me the answer is simple. If you wanna follow a team in one of the top European teams you sit in front of your monitor streaming the games or if your lucky enough to be in a major city watch them at a sports pub. If you choose to also support a CPL team you can sit in a stadium with thousands of other fans, enjoy some warm sun, sip on some cold beer and cheer on your team in person.

This is why I think it is important to have teams coast to coast INCLUDING the east coast.

And this is the solution in all honesty. To continue what I was saying before, those Eurosnobs that shit on MLS and local soccer, still come out to see a handful of games. Converting them 100% is not necessary. However, appealing to their social side is.

3 hours ago, grande said:

I really think it's interesting how many people say "isn't it awful how people shit on different leagues" then turn around and shit on the CFL...

Do a lot of people do this? (honest question)

I am not a CFL fan, but I certainly respect the fact that we have sustained a Canadian pro football league.  Like the sport or not, I don't get why people would shit on the league itself. 

Odds are that you won't change his mind by arguing. There is one example that you can throw at him though. Ask him if MLS is so bad then why is the top goal scorer in the Polish Ektstraklasa Nemamja Nikolic from Legia going to Chicago Fire then. I'm sure that it is not because it's alesser challenge.

2 hours ago, to70 said:

Odds are that you won't change his mind by arguing. There is one example that you can throw at him though. Ask him if MLS is so bad then why is the top goal scorer in the Polish Ektstraklasa Nemamja Nikolic from Legia going to Chicago Fire then. I'm sure that it is not because it's alesser challenge.

Yeah, don't argue. Persuading and being cordial about it is key.

As for the Polish league's top scorer, he clearly came over for the cheddah. Screams of a DP signing. 

Archived