How should the CPL win over Canadian Euro snobs

On 1/5/2017 at 2:27 PM, Pat Carrasco said:

Thanx Ansem...But I was really hurt by his comments.

Then you need to talk to him about your feelings and how hurtful his comments were and that he's going to have to work hard to make it up to you. Then laugh and punch him in the face. Maybe buy him a beer afterwards?

On 1/5/2017 at 2:11 PM, Pat Carrasco said:

Guys, I need your advice. I have this young guy in his late 20s born in Poland. He immigrated to Canada when he was 13 with his parents. He's now a Canadian citizen as of 10 years ago. Every Saturday, he devotes his time to the local soccer community in my district. He also trains referees at the local level. He really cares about the grassroots in our community. I command him for his great effort and his compassion to the local soccer community.

Yesterday, I approached him and talked to him about the CPL. He started to laugh at me and called me crazy. He even said that the whole CPL is a complete joke and it will never be better than the Premiership, la LIGA, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc... Other than that, he even thinks that MLS is a Mickey Mouse crappy league. I was really upset with him that I wanted tell him: "So why are you in this country, if our league system is so bad...." but I didn't.

The bottom line: How do you win over these types of EURO-CENTRIC SNOBS? What does the CPL needs to do to win over these types of people?

Have you ever read malcolm gladwell's tipping point?  I would highly recommend it for everyone who will be encountering situations like this.  

I think some people might disagree with some of this so take it with a grain of salt.

Firstly, don't "approach" anyone.  It comes across as desperate.  It's like women(forgive me ladies on this forum, I swear i'm not a complete misogynist), if you approach them, you are already setting yourself up as the seller in the buyer-seller dynamic.  

Always keep in mind, WE are the ones who are onto something cool.  Not them.  Sure I get it, euro leagues are high quality - blah blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, supporting a local product IS cool.  And don't let any euro faggot tell you differently(no disrespect to actual faggots - you guys are legit).

if you don't read the book, then at least google this part - the role of "mavens" - thats what all of us are.  Basically what a maven is, is an early adopter.  But it's also not as simple as just being an early adopter.  The key is that you don't give a flying fuck what others think.  Really let that sink in.  You don't give a flying fuck.  Or a sitting fuck.  Or a standing fuck.  You don't give a fuck.

You don't give enough of a fuck to change your mind.  You don't give enough of a fuck to let doubt even enter your mind whatsoever.  You sure as fuck don't give enough of a fucking fuck to let some euro fuck make you fucking question what you are doing.

Just wear your CPL shit, whatever it is, go about your day, and let the buyers come to you.  You don't need to go about selling anyone on anything.  By all means, if you are going somewhere where there will be eurosnobs wear your CPL pin, but you don't bring it up at all until they do.  If they bring it up, well it's their fault, and you now have free reign to be a dick.  Being a maven is about doing your thang and not really being concerned by others opinions, good or bad.

K now this last part will be the worst and I'm not suggesting this for everyone but I've already had a few encounters like this (one more like yours and one more like the one i'm going to advise).  You make them feel shitty.  Are they a fucking canadian or just some import who should go back to their own country?  You're polish?  Well maybe it's time you go back to Poland then.  I love Canada being multicultural, but at some point, people have to decide if they're part of it or not.  No one says you have to stop supporting your original nations national team, but if you're canadian,  maybe you should invest in your adopted country, OR maybe you should FUCK OFF.  Canada is better than ingrateful fucks like this guy.  Take it from an "old stock" Canadian.  Cultural Mosaic for the win, but if you just want all the benefits of the mosaic, without actually giving anything back to it, then you're a fucking asshole.  

If you make it about civic pride and nationality, you're not going to win over everyone, but you're going to make an impact.

please.  check out the book though.

2 minutes ago, ted said:

I don't shit on the league, I just shit on hand-egg or pointy-ball in general. ;)

don't necessarily disagree but I've been trying to do this less.  After all, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

The more soccer haters the better I say.  If we weren't doing something right they wouldn't be talking about us ;)

On 2017/01/07 at 5:58 AM, GimliJetsMan said:

People will shit on the league constantly, and the majority will be Canadians living in Canada.

CFL fans in Canada get this from NFL guys all the time, but the vast majority of NFL fans respect the CFL. It's NFL guy in Canada who hates the CFL.

Have to say that in 20+ years of living in London, Ont I never met anybody who could sensibly be described as a CFL fan, but can think of any number of people that have a favourite NFL team and spend their Sundays doing the couch potato thing watching the games. Beyond the Grey Cup weekend it really isn't on the radar screen. Think there needs to be a team reasonably close before people take a keen interest in the CFL and it isn't the national obsession it is built up to be. NHL hockey on the other hand...

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have to say that in 20+ years of living in London, Ont I never met anybody who could sensibly be described as a CFL fan, but can think of any number of people that have a favourite NFL team and spend their Sundays doing the couch potato thing watching the games. Beyond the Grey Cup weekend it really isn't on the radar screen. Think there needs to be a team reasonably close before people take a keen interest in the CFL and it isn't the national obsession it is built up to be. NHL hockey on the other hand...

Getting off topic, but I really wish a CFL team could survive with around 10k fans. If that was possible, it'd open up a lot more markets for the league.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Even in Toronto there are not many CFL fans. When I lived there they ran a promotion one season that if you bring in a Gatorade label you could sit anywhere in the upper deck for free. We went to a few games on Saturday afternoons and even with free admission I would say the stadium was still only 30-40% full. 

I also lived in Edmonton as well - CFL was much more popular out there. Still unless Calgary or Saskatchewan was in town the stadium was usually 50% full at best. Although I actually had to pay for tickets to get into Edmonton games  lol

I dont think I have ever heard the CFL portrayed as a 'National obsession'. I would say the only team that I would even term as very popular is their market is Saskatchwan.  

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Even in Toronto there are not many CFL fans. When I lived there they ran a promotion one season that if you bring in a Gatorade label you could sit anywhere in the upper deck for free. We went to a few games on Saturday afternoons and even with free admission I would say the stadium was still only 30-40% full. 

I also lived in Edmonton as well - CFL was much more popular out there. Still unless Calgary or Saskatchewan was in town the stadium was usually 50% full at best. Although I actually had to pay for tickets to get into Edmonton games  lol

I dont think I have ever heard the CFL portrayed as a 'National obsession'. I would say the only team that I would even term as very popular is their market is Saskatchwan.  

and, to be fair, they don't have any other "big league" teams.  If they somehow got an NHL franchise I bet the riders wouldn't be nearly as popular.

10 hours ago, dsqpr said:

And for the record, I think it was a bit mean spirited (sorry, because I know the emotion is coming from a good place). If others don't want to get involved or look on the CPL (if it ever happens) with contempt, I won't feel the need to berate them. So far as I am concerned, that will just be their loss.

You're not wrong.  And there is certainly lots of room for nuance here.  

But I would prefer people to go a little to far in the contempt direction than to let any little man make them feel ashamed to be part of this.  

Partially I was trying to cheer OP up, he seemed a little down.  

On 1/6/2017 at 8:28 PM, Macksam said:

Yeah, don't argue. Persuading and being cordial about it is key.

As for the Polish league's top scorer, he clearly came over for the cheddah. Screams of a DP signing. 

MLS would be too easy for him as even bottom Polish league teams are several tiers better.

8 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

CPL doesn't need to worry about Eurosnobs since most of Europe have favourable opinions about Canada and would love for Canada to be a decent soccer country. Just assert that we have nothing in common with our southern neighbours and the CPL won't be ANYTHING like MLS or US leagues.

I hope you're right as much as is possible, but I do fear that the reality of the situation will force CPLs hand into emulating some parts.  But I do feel like, per capita anyways, we can outdo MLS.  Overall maybe not, but per capita I think we are a more footballing nation.  Maybe its the loyalists in us ;)

You don't, they can only be won over with strong supporters culture or a higher level of play. If they were exposed to the level of play in Europe and can't stomach the level of play here/the not full stadium breaking out in song level of support, you'll never convince them, because fundamentally, they aren't there to watch soccer, they are only there to watch the best soccer. All you can do is shrug, say "That's your call, but I prefer supporting a local team because, well Manchester is not here and I'd like to see Canada have a competative team."

Apart from that, turning the conversation to what part of Madrid, or Milan they are from and expressing genuine interest if they are actually from there, or what is was like when they visited and went to a game, or when they are planning on visiting might do the trick.

38 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

You don't, they can only be won over with strong supporters culture or a higher level of play. If they were exposed to the level of play in Europe and can't stomach the level of play here/the not full stadium breaking out in song level of support, you'll never convince them, because fundamentally, they aren't there to watch soccer, they are only there to watch the best soccer. All you can do is shrug, say "That's your call, but I prefer supporting a local team because, well Manchester is not here and I'd like to see Canada have a competative team."

Apart from that, turning the conversation to what part of Madrid, or Milan they are from and expressing genuine interest if they are actually from there, or what is was like when they visited and went to a game, or when they are planning on visiting might do the trick.

yea, lol as much as I meant what I said in the moment earlier, this is probably the better approach lol.

Unless of course you're in the mood to throw down haha

5 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

yea, lol as much as I meant what I said in the moment earlier, this is probably the better approach lol.

Unless of course you're in the mood to throw down haha

Out soccering them might do the trick "Yeah, I've been to Old Trafford, but I still support the local team. Have you? You should go sometime."

Of course, calling it out soccering clearly indicates that I can't out soccer anyone, or out Football if you prefer.

On 2017-01-10 at 0:51 AM, Mister215Guy said:

CPL doesn't need to worry about Eurosnobs since most of Europe have favourable opinions about Canada...

You do understand that therm "Eurosnob" refers to someone who lives in Canada, right? Nothing to do with actual Europeans but rather Canadian and American citizens (often second or third generation). They usually wear Barcelona or ManUre shirts and seldom actually watch league or cup games except for "big" ones and the latter stages of the World Cup or Euros. 

9 minutes ago, ted said:

You do understand that therm "Eurosnob" refers to someone who lives in Canada, right? Nothing to do with actual Europeans but rather Canadian and American citizens (often second or third generation). They usually wear Barcelona or ManUre shirts and seldom actually watch league or cup games except for "big" ones and the latter stages of the World Cup or Euros. 

He's a troll

Archived