MLS Cup 2016 - Toronto FC vs. Seattle Sounders

jpg75

11 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Actually more like most of the ROC relishing Toronto's pain. As a Torontonian living out west i can confirm that petty regionalism is alive and well and that western rednecks love to cheer against Toronto.

Well not me and not others I know out here. We were pulling for TFC. In my case it was hoping for the same result as 1979. The outpouring of interest at all levels would have been massive. Having Montreal and Toronto both go at it was great and I think that will have a big boost but mostly in Ontario and Quebec.

The reporters who say there is no following outside the 3 major centers is just plain wrong. It might be minor but it is there. That and those 3 major centers cover around 50% of the population.

Better luck next year (unless you play us, naturally).

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just curious how people have drawn that conclusion in the first place.  A bunch of redneck Albertans (note above) are not representative.  And I think Reed is a bit offside when noting that it isn't Canada's team and that somehow that is a major issue.  Of course not - TFC had to eliminate another one of Canada's teams to get to the final.  

I guess i am just pissy due to the result and lack of sleep.  I seem to be arguing in two threads this morning, so I should probably go down to the man cave for a breath of fresh air...  I just don't know why people would invent an issue immediately after the conclusion of an enjoyable, if disappointing, game.

Good article by Nigel Reed on how TFC is really an American club in a Canadian city. I don't think this fact will matter much to the casual fan, but it does to me, and explains why I couldn't get 100% behind TFC's run (although I was still rooting for them)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc-not-canada-team-1.3891444

Because I'm a fan, I'm thrilled a Canadian team reached the MLS Cup. I'm ecstatic there wasn't an empty seat in the house. I shouldn't care who was and who wasn't on the field. Surely the result is all that really matters.

Except I do care. I care deeply about the fact that this proud Canadian team is short on Canadians.

Very short indeed. Only briefly was there more than one Canadian on the field. Jonathan Osorio started the game only to be replaced by Will Johnson late in the second half. Striker Tosaint Ricketts had to wait until midway through extra time for his opportunity.

This is a team built by Americans, for Americans. There were eight of them in the TFC starting lineup, including captain Michael Bradley. They were selected by an American coach who reports to an American GM who, in turn, takes his cues from an American president.

Also, don't kid yourself, petty regionalism is very alive and well in Canada, largely driven by the oil and gas industry vs the rest of the country. All you have to do is bring up the topic of equalization payments or pipeline approval in Calgary to see it come out.

I don't think regionalism really applies to last night's game, but it is definitely a thing.

16 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Good article by Nigel Reed on how TFC is really an American club in a Canadian city. I don't think this fact will matter much to the casual fan, but it does to me, and explains why I couldn't get 100% behind TFC's run (although I was still rooting for them)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc-not-canada-team-1.3891444

Same. While I wanted TFC to win, I was only going to be happy with it if Osorio, Johnson, Ricketts, Gio or Cheyrou scored. I was relieved when Altidore's looping header got saved.

27 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Also, don't kid yourself, petty regionalism is very alive and well in Canada, largely driven by the oil and gas industry vs the rest of the country. All you have to do is bring up the topic of equalization payments or pipeline approval in Calgary to see it come out.

I don't think regionalism really applies to last night's game, but it is definitely a thing.

It seems to be a rule that people take statements from a few people and extrapolate them to cover an entire group of people. Sure there is a fair amount of petty regionalism. I doubt that will ever leave this country. But I know waaaay more prairie folks that were actively or casually cheering for TFC than cheering against them. And I remember the NEP days and we are not even close to that level of regional antagonism. 

Otoh, watch the prairie's economy continue to slump, and the carbon tax advancement ...

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Only three Canadians involved in TFCs playoffs, and only one as a starter.  Not good enough. Here's an interesting take by Nigel Reed, couldn't agree more.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc-not-canada-team-1.3891444

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1004873/bilan-saison-joey-saputo-impact-montreal-soccer

Yet, thats actually three times more than the other canadian team that made the playoffs.   Furthermore, the Impact, this week, released two of their Cnds from their roster.  A club, whose front office and coach, is comprised entirely of cnadians.   Its high time that we start holding others cnd clubs to same standards.  And it shouldnt be just the posters on this forum from TO and southern ontario carrying the flag.  How about having some from other parts do some of the lifting as well?

Usually I like Nigel Reed but BOOOOO to that article.  I agree with what he says, but why wait until after they lose to loudly proclaim they arent Canadas team.  If he put that out a week before the game it would have shown some fortitude.  Many of us are TFC fans (and on the praires) and have bemoaned the american journeymen taking roster spots that CDN should be getting, and have done so for years.  But as someone else pointed out, TFC are giving more minutes to CDN than the other 2 MLS squads, so you cant really give them too much flak.  Has any other team in a final played 3CDNs??  Maybe Onstad, Dero, Serioux back with Dynamo in 2006??  

As for the game, they should have done better with the home field. GIO dribbling into 3 defenders over and over and whining about not getting enough calls is something he has done all season.  But losing on penalties is nothing to be ashamed of.  I am still proud of the team, and proud that even in the finals, we got 3 CDN on the field.  And all 3 deserved to be there, there was no charity involved.  Hopefully some investors with DEEP POCKETS were watching the fans go nuts in Monteal and Toronto (and WWC) and it entices them to look into this new CPL that everyone is talking about.  Because the funny business with the FURY/USL FARMCLUB, and rumors about FCED/NASL going under were making me depressed.  

I think Canadian regionalism is alive because of the media always flaming the issue.  Just look at Terry Dunfield's twitter comment about TFC helping inspire city and country.  Maybe the city but the country??  Outside of the Montreal and Vancouver maybe but most Locals support the local team.  I supported Seattle because I feel closer to a Cascadia rival geographically and historically speaking than any other Canadian team.  Regionalism is alive and well here in Canada and rhe USA.  Just look at the how regionally divided the States are too.

2 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Yeah. I'm quite disappointed with their broadcast with the final and the Eastern Final. Impartial my ass. Doesn't surprise me. They cater to Ontario Tdot however I think they forget they are a national broadcast. They focus so much on TFC and blow roses up their ass but I know it's just to sell it and put sugar on it. What pisses me off is that they seem to forget there are two teams playing here. What kind of coverage do they give the opposition? They don't give much of a backdrop nor do they interview the other team so the public can know more about them (all except Frei). Seattle won the cup and they go to Morrow who shanked it - stupid why'd they bother the kid after that mess up. 

For instance the East Final was between two Cdn clubs yet it seemed like only one existed. 

Not only that, even the way they direct the shooting of the game is horrible. Too much talking nonsense with the panel and their other butt kissers. Too many replays you end up missing live action. Just poor.

Fox surprisingly were a way better production. Don't believe me? Compare your PVR of the TSN match of the East Final to that of someone's webcast on YouTube by Fox. You'll get it right from the start. 

Edit note: here's the link. You'll see how Fox brings you into the action letting the images do the talking. You're in the red tunnel, you can feel the emotion and electricity, the players come out, the graphics for the line up, no bs bla bla from homers KJ and Andi Patrillo.

TSN's coverage is pro TFC. Their treatment of the Impact in the 2 matches was awful. But they have no shame since their game analyst is a TFC employee.

For Canada matches, it's hit or miss whether they show the national anthem when it should be a must while they do show meaningless anthems for MLS games. And for Premier League, unlike Sportsnet, they can't be bothered to have their studio show for all matches but leach off NBCSN. So, we're watching an American cable net broadcasting a non-American league via a world feed - again TSN has no shame.

But the Fox coverage wasn't great either. Their audio was muted compared to TSN. They missed showing the massive TIFO (TSN also missed it).

They basically missed the winning penalty kick and then cut away too early for commercials and got lots of flack for it.

http://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/fox-basically-missed-the-winning-penalty-kick-of-mls-cup-2016.html

They kept on showing the same group of fans for reactions. Rarely showed the Seattle supporters. But who decided they should be in the upper deck - should have been in lower bowl.

The other stuff is usual American soccer coverage weakness - lots of hype on the American players at the expense of everybody else. Strong misidentified Ricketts as Jozy a couple of times. Fox panelists were better than TSN. KJ's Gio rant at the end was way off the mark. 

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I think Canadian regionalism is alive because of the media always flaming the issue.  Just look at Terry Dunfield's twitter comment about TFC helping inspire city and country.  Maybe the city but the country??  Outside of the Montreal and Vancouver maybe but most Locals support the local team.  I supported Seattle because I feel closer to a Cascadia rival geographically and historically speaking than any other Canadian team.  Regionalism is alive and well here in Canada and rhe USA.  Just look at the how regionally divided the States are too.

I don't think that's out of bounds. I proudly wore my TFC scarf here in Calgary Alberta. Still numb, the win would have been absolutely massive for Canadian soccer.

The Nigel Reed article is misplaced and insulting to Montreal and Vancouver and arguably Edmonton and Ottawa as well. TFC isn't Canada's team not because of the nationalities of their players but because they can't possibly be with other Canadian teams in the league. It also seems silly to take Toronto to task for a lack of Canadians when they were the top MLS team at giving Canadians playing opportunities this year.

55 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Ya ok I'm going to watch a Canadian team in a final but only cheer if a Canadian scores and will be happy if a non Canadian on the Canadian team misses an opportunity to score , give me a break really lol wow !

Cheyrou and Gio aren't Canadian. Also, what do you find hard to beleive? 

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The Nigel Reed article is misplaced and insulting to Montreal and Vancouver and arguably Edmonton and Ottawa as well. TFC isn't Canada's team not because of the nationalities of their players but because they can't possibly be with other Canadian teams in the league. It also seems silly to take Toronto to task for a lack of Canadians when they were the top MLS team at giving Canadians playing opportunities this year.

Actually, it isn't insulting to cities outside of Toronto.

We've seen this same, stupid routine that has been fed for decades that Toronto sports teams are "Canada's Teams" and we should be prepared to be force fed.

Any positive about how Ottawa Fury did during the CCL? Nope

Positive on FC Edmonton for the season it had? Nope

Any positive on Vancouver during the CCL? Nope

Montreal? Only because Toronto was involved

Toronto: Nothing but *blush*Gio is a god*bush*we sign Canadians*blush*Our fans are genuine*blush*

Add to all the BS in MLS Cup about this is great for Canada and how it would expand the sport is just the latest.

Don't complain when it all comes back and hits you in the face.

As far as "club" games goes TFC is Toronto (hence the T in TFC). When my team is out I'll default to cheering for either of the other 2 Canadian "club" teams over any of the USA teams. If Orlando or Dallas played I would hope that Cyle and Tesho had great games but would still pull for the Canadian "club" team.

A national team that represents all of Canada would be our "national" teams not the "club" teams.

I hope that clears it up for Nigel. I have plans for him  :)

9 minutes ago, TRM said:

As far as "club" games goes TFC is Toronto (hence the T in TFC). When my team is out I'll default to cheering for either of the other 2 Canadian "club" teams over any of the USA teams. If Orlando or Dallas played I would hope that Cyle and Tesho had great games but would still pull for the Canadian "club" team.

A national team that represents all of Canada would be our "national" teams not the "club" teams.

Got to remember that the classic Toronto team thing to do is to suddenly wrap yourself in the flag the second it becomes marketable to do so. I think Reed is partly responding to that

10 minutes ago, TRM said:

Got to remember that the classic Toronto team thing to do is to suddenly wrap yourself in the flag the second it becomes marketable to do so. I think Reed is partly responding to that

Everybody relax. He's just saying TFC doesn't have enough Canadians playing to be warranted as a Canadian club. I don't think his article has anything to do with how Toronto likes to refer to itself as "Canada's team", a term which actually started with the Calgary Flames' playoff run in 2004. It's not even close to being a Toronto only thing. He just used that term in a different context.

10 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Actually, it isn't insulting to cities outside of Toronto.

We've seen this same, stupid routine that has been fed for decades that Toronto sports teams are "Canada's Teams" and we should be prepared to be force fed.

In the case of the Blue Jays & the Raptors, there's a reason why in recent years the media refers to them as Canada's teams - even you might be able to count high enough to figure out what that reason is. You don't see that happen very much with the Leafs (except sometimes in relation to how popular they are in Western Canada) and never with the Argos. These days it shouldn't happen with TFC either. I find your argument as to why its not insulting to other Canadian cities - before going on to suggest reasons why it is - to be unintelligible. But I'm not really bothered by it. The vultures fly high - they circle over us all.

Archived