MLS Cup 2016 - Toronto FC vs. Seattle Sounders

jpg75

Forgive me if this has been covered here, but I'm curious why the conference finals are decided on home-and-home aggregate scores, but the league final is a single game.  It just seems weird to me that they would try harder to keep things even in the conference finals and less even in the finals.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rkomar said:

Forgive me if this has been covered here, but I'm curious why the conference finals are decided on home-and-home aggregate scores, but the league final is a single game.  It just seems weird to me that they would try harder to keep things even in the conference finals and less even in the finals.

Like Champions League, Europa league. Though they go to pure draws at quarter finals, no seeding, they have already eliminated dozens of teams.

But you are right, in the past there were home and away series to decide major club championships, including UEFA Cup.

I agree with a short playoff you should seed, since doing well in the season should favour you. But to what point?

If MLS had real power people would travel for a final, anywhere in North America, like your Grey Cups and SuperBowls. It doesn't though, and nothing worse than a final with tons of fans not supporting either team, like would happen if Sporting KC had bid for the final and a couple thousand from each team made the trip only. So the current solution continues to favour the team doing well in league, while ensuring a lively atmosphere for the final itself. It is reasonable as I see it.

I have no problem with the current set up.  I like the single game format of the MLS Final, and awarding home field to the top seed makes league placement quite meaningful.  Maybe I am just influenced by TFC's favoured position this year, but when you look at the way this has turned out for fans, it seems like a finale worth the hype.

When MLS first proposed the play-off format, I know a lot of traditionalists were opposed and screamed about the need to do things Old World style.  However, I have to admit that i have no issues with that particular North American modification of the process.  Other teams in other leagues can be plagued with a whole host of unexciting, meaningless games at the end of a season.  In MLS, unless you are mathematically out of playoff contention, there is always a chance.  The process prevents ridiculous upsets, but it keeps games meaningful. 

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have no problem with the current set up.  I like the single game format of the MLS Final, and awarding home field to the top seed makes league placement quite meaningful.  Maybe I am just influenced by TFC's favoured position this year, but when you look at the way this has turned out for fans, it seems like a finale worth the hype.

I, on the other hand, love the two-game home and away format and dislike the single game final. I find the play and momentum shifts much more entertaining whereas with a single game, teams tend to play ultra-cautious and afraid. I also think it is a fairer way to decide which team is better, an unlucky call or bounce is less likely to be the deciding factor.

I am fine with the format (was glad when they introduced it a few years back, so my opinion isn't just based on the fact that TFC are hosting it this year). But I am wondering. Are there any examples of single game championships that aren't played at a pre-determined location? Champions League, Europa League, Grey Cup, and the Superbowl all have pre-determined hosts. Obviously international tournaments like World Cup, Euro, Gold Cup (kinda, it's always USA), etc have predetermined hosts.

Other North American leagues play more than a single game, like MLB, NBA, and NHL. So are there any top tier leagues/tournaments somewhere that has this same system as MLS?

Perhaps the MLS still doesn't have enough die-hard fans to fill the stands in a pre-determined location?

The NWSL went that route this year, including many other activities to make the trip worthwhile for fans and their families, but the crowd still looked pretty sparse.  Playing the game in the favourite's stadium would likely fill the stands and look and sound better on TV.  In that sense, the game in BMO Field should be a success.

36 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Perhaps the MLS still doesn't have enough die-hard fans to fill the stands in a pre-determined location?

I would have probably brought that up. ie in 2010 when Toronto hosted the Cup Final - what is that game was in Columbus, for example? How many people from Colorado/Dallas would have traveled and how many from Columbus gone just for the game? What if that ticket was not part of the season ticket package and was stand-alone?

The other leagues/competitions mentioned, I would argue even in neutral locations there are often enough die-hard supporters that they would travel to fill up large sections of the stadium. I don't think you can say that for most MLS teams.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I am fine with the format (was glad when they introduced it a few years back, so my opinion isn't just based on the fact that TFC are hosting it this year). But I am wondering. Are there any examples of single game championships that aren't played at a pre-determined location? Champions League, Europa League, Grey Cup, and the Superbowl all have pre-determined hosts. Obviously international tournaments like World Cup, Euro, Gold Cup (kinda, it's always USA), etc have predetermined hosts.

Other North American leagues play more than a single game, like MLB, NBA, and NHL. So are there any top tier leagues/tournaments somewhere that has this same system as MLS?

Good question. There's this: Davis Cup finals.

They are major events with a lot of presence of visiting fans (the Argies in Croatia this year were a huge contingent). Each year who hosts is determined by a rather complex rotation system, not based on seeding. If you are facing a team you faced recently, they change hosts. If not, the system is hard to follow, why Canada is hosting Great Britain in Ottawa in February I don't quite catch, but host determines playing surface, another key advantage.

They recently announced they are considering planning Davis Cup finals in neutral venues for next year even, as the problem some believe is to find a suitable venue free and organize properly with such short notice. So they say. I've been to a final in Barcelona (Spain-Czechs) and it seemed perfect, and I think pretty everywhere you can find a sports pavilion free for a weekend. If not in one city, in another. Still, this is the question: if you bid for the final, you plan, you promote, you organize properly: but you lose the specific charm we see with the MLS final, at least one team with a massive supporter contingent, and the other sending out enough to not be alone.

How many seats do Sounders get at BMO by the way?

I'm flying into Toronto tomorrow morning from St. John's to catch this game. Huge TFC fan, so getting to be there at their first MLS Cup performance (and win!) is a dream come true. Parents are season ticket holders and had wanted to buy two more seats so they can take people to the game. They went ahead and pulled the trigger early so they could secure 4 tickets to the final. Naturally, I'm overjoyed. 

I only get to see one or two TFC games a year. Being able to go to this game means a ton to me. 

Let's go Reds! I see them taking this home. Altidore will continue with his form and Giovinco will be Giovinco. I don't think Seattle is ready for what TFC is going to throw at them. 

I get the sense that the TFC supporters might already be thinking about the parade route.  I'm curious to see how they deal with Lodeiro (first time they have faced him, I believe).  At least going back to the Osorio-Cooper tandem in front of Bradley sends more of going-for-it message.  I don't mind that for a final at home.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Go Sounders, as a Caps fan, have more im common with our Cascadia brethren.  Also want the Caps to be the 1st MLS team to hoist the Cup instead :D:P

Sorry dude but I can stand Portland but couldn't for the life of me give a shit about Seattle. GO TFC

Archived