2018 FIFA WCQ CONCACAF Rd 4, Matchday 4: Tues 29 Mar 2016, Canada @ Mexico, 1030pm ET, 730pm PT

Yohan

Just now, jpg75 said:

Sure, but the point everyone who is griping is trying to make is that it was completely unnecessary for us to need that road draw if we had accepted the gift handed to us with the ES player strike. Inexcusable.

I agree that was sitting there waiting for us and we didn't take advantage.

now we have to figure out how to get a road draw in Honduras.

I don't want to be writing the post saying "Now we got to figure out how to beat el salvador by 5 due to our wretched point total"

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a result in Honduras will be so difficult and then keep in mind how serious will Mexico play at home to Honduras when Mexico will have nothing to play for, I don't know does not look good at all the fat lady is just about singing.

1 minute ago, Bully said:

Darn. Well that was fun lads. Too bad there was a lot of hype and again the train is going to crash. 

Guess we can look forward to the gold cup!

thats the 3 game tournament where we don't score goals. 

the only thing we can look forward to is playing dominica, cuba and BVI in round 2 for 2022 Qatar.

Well, it was a valiant effort, but Canada just doesn't have the players or technical skill to get a win down in Central America.  I honestly would prefer if Floro brings in the youth movement of Bustos, Froese, Crepeau, Adekugbe, and others to get them used to be playing for the Senior Nats.   I hope the CSA and the academies realize we need better ball control players that can dribble, 1 touch, and better technical skills.  That we're relying on Div. 2 journeyman for our backline says a lot about the current state of Canadian futbol.  I honestly don't want to see another Turtle, Turtle formation.  Floro and his son can fly back to Spain.

Just now, Soccerpro said:

We have 1 goal in 4 games. That goal was a header that bounced off a Canadian player's back, who was lying on the ground.

Ill let that settle in.

Coincidentally, that game/result is the only quality result we've achieved since last June.

wait. You guys realize the last two games have been against Mexico, right? Honduras and El Salvador are not Mexico. losing badly to Mexico doesn't automatically mean we can't get a tie in Honduras. 

But don't let me stop the pity party if you all prefer to wallow. I'm just saying it ain't over.

3 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Getting a result in Honduras will be so difficult and then keep in mind how serious will Mexico play at home to Honduras when Mexico will have nothing to play for, I don't know does not look good at all the fat lady is just about singing.

The mexican players themselves have lots to play for.   They are competing for positions, and won't want to lose their spot on the field.

Refresher (just to pile on). These were Floro's subs in the nil-nil El Salvador match.

71'
On    Samuel Piette
Off    Will Johnson

72'
On    David Edgar
Off    Julian de Guzmán

81'
On    Tesho Akindele
Off    Junior Hoilett

Clear enough, to me, that nil-nil was the desired outcome.

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

wait. You guys realize the last two games have been against Mexico, right? Honduras and El Salvador are not Mexico. losing badly to Mexico doesn't automatically mean we can't get a tie in Honduras. 

But don't let me stop the pity party if you all prefer to wallow. I'm just saying it ain't over.

but this is all part of the fun of being a Voyageur IMO.

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

It's just reality really. We can't score at home, nevermind away. And I've watched the CMNT play in C.America for years and years to know what's going to happen. In fact, I may as well make some money on it this time because if I lose money it'll be because Canada did something remarkable and I won't even be mad. 

More than a lack of trust in our team - because I do think we have some talent - it's having no faith in Floro to play positive football anywhere. That combined with the raucious crowd, the poor conditions, the heat, the ref, etc. etc. my expectations are low to protect my psyche!

EDIT - the poster who listed Floro's subs in El Salvador is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. We constantly play not to lose instead of to win.

Just now, kingvikingstad said:

It's just reality really. We can't score at home, nevermind away. And I've watched the CMNT play in C.America for years and years to know what's going to happen. In fact, I may as well make some money on it this time because if I lose money it'll be because Canada did something remarkable and I won't even be mad. 

More than a lack of trust in our team - because I do think we have some talent - it's having no faith in Floro to play positive football anywhere. That combined with the raucious crowd, the poor conditions, the heat, the ref, etc. etc. my expectations are low to protect my psyche!

we don't need to score away.

we've proven we can score at home to a better team than El Salvador.

Again, don't let me stop the tears from falling in your beer (as Ryan pointed out that's part of the fun)

but we'll all dust ourselves off after this. Buy into the hype in september and still have meaningful soccer to watch.

Maybe other people were expecting a different result from this round.

Frankly I thought we were going to lose the entire time and that draw between El Salvador and Honduras was a blessing. We have a shot. Me and you can argue about how full the glass is but we have a shot.

Again, feel free to abandon the team here, but I don't think you can say "well we got swept by Mexico, which means we'll never tie a crap Honduras team". Just my two cents.

Archived