Upcoming HON vs. SLV Matches

Tuscan

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

To be clear - most weren't ripping on them because they were El Salvador.  Most were ripping on them because they we playing like the local U-12 team, and we still couldn't grind out a win.

In that case Mexico should have won 10-0

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

ES saved our ass. Honduras deserved to win, they looked better against ES "A" team than we did against their B team.

But in the end it doesnt matter how good u look. Its the result that counts. 

Here is hoping for another draw or el salvador win on tuesday

15 minutes ago, king1010 said:

But in the end it doesnt matter how good u look. Its the result that counts. 

Here is hoping for another draw or el salvador win on tuesday

I was insinuating we should have beaten ES B team. We looked shittier against a shittier team than Honduras did. We have a new lease on life, but not sure we're gonna make much use of it after what i saw tonight.

Just now, jpg75 said:

I was insinuating we should have beaten ES B team. We looked shittier against a shittier team than Honduras did. We have a new lease on life, but not sure we're gonna make much use of it after what i saw tonight.

mexico has that effect on teams. probably more of the same on tuesday. our fate lies against honduras and el salvador. 

Reaction from Honduras fans in El Salvador:

http://cdn.video.playwire.com/1001252/videos/4723849/video-sd.mp4

Johnny Palacios got a yellow against Mexico in November and another yellow last night. Pinto has called Jonathan Paz into their squad to replace him on Tuesday. I don't think Paz will start though.

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/943426-99/jorge-luis-pinto-convoca-de-%C3%BAltima-hora-al-defensa-jonathan-paz

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Paz

11 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

This was such a seriously fantastic result for us. El Salvador could become our best friends if they find a way to tie them or even beat them next game.

An ES win is a serious stretch, but if those crappy bastards can somehow pull off a semi-miracle of getting a draw in Honduras it would turn this thing around. Right now the odds are against us making the Hex.

13 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

An ES win is a serious stretch, but if those crappy bastards can somehow pull off a semi-miracle of getting a draw in Honduras it would turn this thing around. Right now the odds are against us making the Hex.

I think thats a stretch. had honduras won last night yes the odds would be against us. Id say the odds are even right now. 50-50 we make the hex

I have been surfing the web and A LOT of fans (Mexican and American) would rather have Canada in the Hex over Honduras not because they think we are worse but because they just hate playing Honduras in general (away games, there team is filled with dicks, etc)

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

I have been surfing the web and A LOT of fans (Mexican and American) would rather have Canada in the Hex over Honduras not because they think we are worse but because they just hate playing Honduras in general (away games, there team is filled with dicks, etc)

then lets hope Mexico pounds Honduras on the last matchday

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

I think thats a stretch. had honduras won last night yes the odds would be against us. Id say the odds are even right now. 50-50 we make the hex

Honduras have scored more goals than us and they lost by one less goal at home to Mexico. Their chances of beating ES at home by a greater margin are also higher because they are a more offensively gifted team. The only thing that isn't skewing the odds massively in their favour is that they haven't accomplished their home victory over us yet, in the head-to-head, the way we have.

At this point 

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Honduras have scored more goals than us and they lost by one less goal at home to Mexico. Their chances of beating ES at home by a greater margin are also higher because they are a more offensively gifted team. The only thing that isn't skewing the odds massively in their favour is that they haven't accomplished their home victory over us yet, in the head-to-head, the way we have.

At this point I kind of feel like even if EL Slavador doesn't get the tie for us in Honduras and it ends up being up to us to get the tie in Honduras so be it. If this program wants to show its turned the corner that's the type of result we need to grind out with floro ball. If we can't do that we really haven't improved enough to deserve that spot in the hex. 

I'm trying to not give into my cynical side that says we're already out because of our ES away result. It felt like the kind of thing that was going to bite us at the time, and it feels even more so now.

If we wanna get into the hex we really, REALLY need another draw in the next ES/HON game. Otherwise our backs are really up against it.

I see your point but I don't see it totally like that. I honestly think we could tie Honduras in Honduras. Watching that game last night I'm not sold that they're as good as they were last cycle. 

Mexico is on such a different level from every other team in this group. 

But im with you. "Go El Salvador!!"

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

At this point 

At this point I kind of feel like even if EL Slavador doesn't get the tie for us in Honduras and it ends up being up to us to get the tie in Honduras so be it. If this program wants to show its turned the corner that's the type of result we need to grind out with floro ball. If we can't do that we really haven't improved enough to deserve that spot in the hex. 

If we can't get a draw in Honduras why do we even have Floro has as our coach? He is suppose to get us points away and if he can't do that what is he good for (other than committing players).

What are the scenarios from the ES perspective? I'm sure they are thinking, "let's get a draw in Honduras, a win in Canada (that team can't score :P ) and a draw at home against Mex and we're in!"

Right?

Anyway, ES should have plenty of motivation to try to get a result away vs Honduras.

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

If we can't get a draw in Honduras why do we even have Floro has as our coach? He is suppose to get us points away and if he can't do that what is he good for (other than committing players).

This is kind of my perspective as well.  If we can't beat a shitty El Salvador team, and if Honduras have their way with us every time, we have no business whatsoever in the Hex, in the WC, or in any major tourney until we get our act together.  

Sure I would love to see us on the big stage - hugely so.  But not at the price of us being humiliated because we can still be clearly outclassed by at-best mediocre teams.  

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

What are the scenarios from the ES perspective? I'm sure they are thinking, "let's get a draw in Honduras, a win in Canada (that team can't score :P ) and a draw at home against Mex and we're in!"

Right?

Anyway, ES should have plenty of motivation to try to get a result away vs Honduras.

I could be wrong but if El Salvador grind out a tie in Honduras the likely scenario (I.e. Mexico winning the rest of its games) that they're looking at is similar to what we are. It would all come down to that last game between them and us. Winner advances. They still have everything to play for. 

Mexico will play mostly their B and fringe players vs El Salvador with first place locked up.

I do believe at home in front of the Azteca crowd vs Honduras, more regulars will play and Mexico will beat Honduras easily to end the semi final round.

I will say it once and will say it again, if Mexico drops any points this round it will be the away game in El Salvador. Only based on the fact, they have 1st place locked up, it is an away game, will be a long season for the regulars (COPA), and game will be played on a very poor quality field.  You can bet chicarito and others don't see the pitch in that game in El Salvador. Luckily mexico has depth, and I am not saying Mexico won't win, but that is where I could see them potentially not collecting all 18 points.

So decide who you want to cheer for, but I am still always cheering for a tie.

Mexico 12

Canada 4

El Salvador 3

Honduras 2

Every one says we missed that huge opportunity in El Salvador, we did and it sucked Larin couldn't finish 2x. Honestly, I am just glad Borjan made that huge breakaway save and we didn't lose that game! You can reference back and many people predicting Canada would get max 3 points, lucky even 2 points. As an optimist but realist, for the final 2 games, I just wanted us to be in the position we likely now will be in/.... need 3-6 points from our final 2 games. 

Archived