Upcoming HON vs. SLV Matches

Tuscan

5 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I don't like the idea of playing for a loss at home. Away sure but we should take advantage of our home field advantage. You are assuming we lose to Honduras away correct? If we played for a draw in both of those games we would atleast get 1 draw imo.

Im not and never would accept the idea of playing for a loss.  Just saying stick to the game plan.  I think the style of play that we've been using since Floro took over (compact, holding our shape, minimizing mistakes, playing the ball on the deck and taking our chances when they come) can get us goals and a win on Friday.  Even if we are down a goal or 2, our system can lead to a goal and a comeback.  

I'm just saying not to panic, not to change the game plan.  Its not a do or die game.   

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is reaching the realm of being too technical, but we will know just after half what the result of Honduras/El Salvador is.  If Honduras does get a win on the road this does become a match where we absolutely need a point at a minimum.

Let's just win and make it easier

On 3/22/2016 at 9:31 AM, Floortom said:

In terms of my order of preference formhowntheae two games go:

1) two draws (ES gets 2 points, Honduras gets 2 points)

2. Each gets a win (ES gets 3 points, Hinidtas gets three points)

3. ES gets one win and one draw (ES gets 4 points, Honduras gets 1 point)

4. Honduras gets one win and one draw (Honduras gets 4 points, ES gets one point)

5. ES gets two wins (ES gets 6 points, Honduras gets none)

6. Honduras gets two wins ( Honduras gets 6 points, ES gets none)

scenarios 1 or 2 would put us in very good position.

scenario 3 would be good

scenario 4 would put us in dead heat with Honduras

scenarios 5 or 6 would suck

Nailed it!

On 3/22/2016 at 10:31 AM, Floortom said:

In terms of my order of preference formhowntheae two games go:

1) two draws (ES gets 2 points, Honduras gets 2 points)

2. Each gets a win (ES gets 3 points, Hinidtas gets three points)

3. ES gets one win and one draw (ES gets 4 points, Honduras gets 1 point)

4. Honduras gets one win and one draw (Honduras gets 4 points, ES gets one point)

5. ES gets two wins (ES gets 6 points, Honduras gets none)

6. Honduras gets two wins ( Honduras gets 6 points, ES gets none)

scenarios 1 or 2 would put us in very good position.

scenario 3 would be good

scenario 4 would put us in dead heat with Honduras

scenarios 5 or 6 would suck

Scenarios #4, #5 and #6 would all suck, with #4 potentially being worse than #5, but I do get your point. Cheers!

4 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Good decision. They know the win would help them more than the loss would hurt them. Even if they lose, they would have a great chance to advance if they win their two home matches against us and ES 

I don't agree - a loss would hurt them a lot. I actually expect both sides to be pretty passive and wouldn't be surprised with a draw.

lets say Honduras loses that first match and then wins at home. They're at 3 points while SLV and Canada are at 4 points (assuming we lose both matches against Mexico). That's means that even with a win against us, Honduras would end at 6 points (assuming they lose at Azteca on the last match). The only way 6 points could get them through is if Canada and SLV lose all their matches against Mexico (which is likely) AND the last Canada / SLV game ends in a draw.

30 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don't agree - a loss would hurt them a lot. I actually expect both sides to be pretty passive and wouldn't be surprised with a draw.

lets say Honduras loses that first match and then wins at home. They're at 3 points while SLV and Canada are at 4 points (assuming we lose both matches against Mexico). That's means that even with a win against us, Honduras would end at 6 points (assuming they lose at Azteca on the last match). The only way 6 points could get them through is if Canada and SLV lose all their matches against Mexico (which is likely) AND the last Canada / SLV game ends in a draw.

Was going to say the exact same thing.

22 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Honduras going with 2 forwards in ES:

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/942616-99/pinto-apuesta-por-la-dupla-choco-lozano-costly-para-este-viernes

Costly and Lozano up top, so guess Najar on the left and Garcia on the right...Espinoza and Acosta or Claros in the middle.

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/942869-99/el-mediocampo-el-dilema-de-pinto-para-enfrentar-a-el-salvador

This article states that it will be either Claros or Mejia alongside Espinoza and either Martinez or Garcia on the right flank opposite Najar.

Espinoza was held out of training today for preventative physio, but will be playing tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Supersonic78 said:

Someone remind me how we failed to beat ES down there...they are SHIT.

Floro loves to park his bus in games we should win.

Archived