Upcoming HON vs. SLV Matches

Tuscan

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they are. Honduras have Lozano, Najar and Espinoza back as i had predicted back in November. ES is thankfully back to full strength to give them a fighters chance next week.

We really did miss a golden opportunity to put this group in a stranglehold.

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Yes they are. Honduras have Lozano, Najar and Espinoza back as i had predicted back in November. ES is thankfully back to full strength to give them a fighters chance next week.

We really did miss a golden opportunity to put this group in a stranglehold.

Hey but it was in Central America and we would be lucky to even get a draw in Central America no matter what team we are facing.

8 hours ago, canta15 said:

Hey but it was in Central America and we would be lucky to even get a draw in Central America no matter what team we are facing.

That just reaks of excuses. Good teams win wherever, just ask Panama or T&T.

29 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Maybe we lost a big opportunity in El Salvador to show that we are a good team but now we have the chance to take 3 pts out of Mexico. Tougher than getting 3 pts in Salvador but good teams have the ability to rebound from a disappointing result. Let's hope the players are ready for this!

27 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Maybe we lost a big opportunity in El Salvador to show that we are a good team but now we have the chance to take 3 pts out of Mexico. Tougher than getting 3 pts in Salvador but good teams have the ability to rebound from a disappointing result. Let's hope the players are ready for this!

Yes we do. If we can beat Mexico on Friday then we're in the drivers seat. The results of ES and Hon would have little bearing on us anymore, we would control our own destiny.

They called Carlo Costly back into the team. the CA teams have a lot of strikers who were born between 81 and 82 who have been large parts of their national teams. Costly for Panama, Luis Tejeda and Blas Perez for Panama, Alvaro Saborio for Costa Rica. Always found that interesting.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I was being sarcastic and mocking those with phobias of central america.

5 hours ago, Vince193 said:

They called Carlo Costly back into the team. the CA teams have a lot of strikers who were born between 81 and 82 who have been large parts of their national teams. Costly for Panama, Luis Tejeda and Blas Perez for Panama, Alvaro Saborio for Costa Rica. Always found that interesting.

Carlos 'Pescado' Ruiz for Guatemala as well.

El Salvador a slight favorite over Honduras on the betting odds. Likely as the result of El Salvador being the home team. oh man if Larin just buried that header or scored on his mini-breakaway in the 90+ min. I guess same could be said if Borjan didn't make that huge save!  Let's hope Larin buries one vs Mexico!!!

Not sure about you guys but I am cheering for the double tie in the ELS-HON games hehe. Even if we put up a double goose egg vs the best team in CONCACAF..... we are still in the driver's seat with the double tie.

As much as it would be awesome for them to draw both games, I am not counting on Honduras being held to a draw at home by El Salvador. Realistically the best scenario i see is for them to split the wins, 3 points each. If we can win at home and they split their games we'll be on the verge of qualifying.

In terms of my order of preference formhowntheae two games go:

1) two draws (ES gets 2 points, Honduras gets 2 points)

2. Each gets a win (ES gets 3 points, Hinidtas gets three points)

3. ES gets one win and one draw (ES gets 4 points, Honduras gets 1 point)

4. Honduras gets one win and one draw (Honduras gets 4 points, ES gets one point)

5. ES gets two wins (ES gets 6 points, Honduras gets none)

6. Honduras gets two wins ( Honduras gets 6 points, ES gets none)

scenarios 1 or 2 would put us in very good position.

scenario 3 would be good

scenario 4 would put us in dead heat with Honduras

scenarios 5 or 6 would suck

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

In terms of my order of preference formhowntheae two games go:

1) two draws (ES gets 2 points, Honduras gets 2 points)

2. Each gets a win (ES gets 3 points, Hinidtas gets three points)

3. ES gets one win and one draw (ES gets 4 points, Honduras gets 1 point)

4. Honduras gets one win and one draw (Honduras gets 4 points, ES gets one point)

5. ES gets two wins (ES gets 6 points, Honduras gets none)

6. Honduras gets two wins ( Honduras gets 6 points, ES gets none)

scenarios 1 or 2 would put us in very good position.

scenario 3 would be good

scenario 4 would put us in dead heat with Honduras

scenarios 5 or 6 would suck

5 wouldn't be that bad

5 is bad because if we drop two to Mexico then El Salvador can advance with a point at home against an indifferent Mexican team (a lot different than them playing in the Azteca against Honduras).

1-2 are optimal regardless of what happens, 3-4 are optimal if we get a point and acceptable if we don't, 5-6 are...not optimal

Regardless of what happens for us versus Mexico... If Honduras can't get a win against El Salvador and we manage to beat El Salvador we make it through, am I right? This is assuming Neither of them can get results against Mexico. Lots of pressure on Honduras at the moment.

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

Regardless of what happens for us versus Mexico... If Honduras can't get a win against El Salvador and we manage to beat El Salvador we make it through, am I right? This is assuming Neither of them can get results against Mexico. Lots of pressure on Honduras at the moment.

Not necessarily, could be a scenario where goal differential comes into play (as it is FIFA's first tiebreaker, not head-to-head.....bush league), so we need to at least compete against Mexico and Honduras. Or hope Mexico completely pumps ES to get their GD down.

On 2016-03-17 at 4:58 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure Zika would affect this cycle, but it would certainly impact their nats' heading ability in 20+ years.

That made me laugh out loud in my office and now my boss is wondering what I'm working on that's so damned funny.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Not necessarily, could be a scenario where goal differential comes into play (as it is FIFA's first tiebreaker, not head-to-head.....bush league), so we need to at least compete against Mexico and Honduras. Or hope Mexico completely pumps ES to get their GD down.

Yes, goal differential is crucial.  Perhaps the most likely scenario is that we go into the last 2 games tied for second place with Honduras on 4 points, and we each finish the round on 7 points with goal differential deciding it.  They are already -2 so we have an edge.

If we are down a goal against Mexico, we can't lose our heads and game plan and throw everything forward looking for an equalizer.  Mexico will open us up.  Remember, a one goal loss to Mexico at home is better than what Honduras managed.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Yes, goal differential is crucial.  Perhaps the most likely scenario is that we go into the last 2 games tied for second place with Honduras on 4 points, and we each finish the round on 7 points with goal differential deciding it.  They are already -2 so we have an edge.

If we are down a goal against Mexico, we can't lose our heads and game plan and throw everything forward looking for an equalizer.  Mexico will open us up.  Remember, a one goal loss to Mexico at home is better than what Honduras managed.

I don't like the idea of playing for a loss at home. Away sure but we should take advantage of our home field advantage. You are assuming we lose to Honduras away correct? If we played for a draw in both of those games we would atleast get 1 draw imo.

Archived