Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

9 hours ago, shermanator said:

Bekker is in the starting lineup for the Impact. Lefevre, Bernier and Jackson-Hamel are on the bench. Really surprising to see how Tissot has fallen off the map out of nowhere for Montreal. He played pretty well in his limited minutes last year. I guess the Shipp and Venegas acquisitions just mean there's no room for him anymore.

Another great game from Bekker, looking like a good MLS starter at the moment. Ontivero and his usual sub Venegas looked good for the first 2 games of the season but have been pretty poor since then. Today both were terrible. I would like to see Tissot given a chance soon at the very least as a sub.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Osorio could sue TSN's never-shut-up colour commentator (whoever the hell he was) for defamation on that New England goal. Note to the said commentator -Osorio wears #21 and was on the other side of the field from the player you identified as the culprit on the goal. I will also acknowledge the poor officiating was on TFC's side for once

Janusz Michallik? He's terrible. Never stops talking. 

I didn't think Osorio was great today but he was constantly grinding on Osorio.

I thought Johnson was fantastic but on the other hand Osorio was a steep drop off.  Osorio is a good MLS player but really nothing special, I can see why Floro chooses to go with the potential of Bekker over Oso.  In the system we play with the CMNT there isn't room for a player like Osorio, he is the type of guy to look good when his team is attacking because he's definitely skilled/creative but under pressure he looks lost/sloppy.  

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

I thought Johnson was fantastic but on the other hand Osorio was a steep drop off.  Osorio is a good MLS player but really nothing special, I can see why Floro chooses to go with the potential of Bekker over Oso.  In the system we play with the CMNT there isn't room for a player like Osorio, he is the type of guy to look good when his team is attacking because he's definitely skilled/creative but under pressure he looks lost/sloppy.  

To be fair, the entire TFC midfield looks lost/sloppy, especially against NE. I feel like it's a result of Vanney's only tactic of "ride or die only through Gio"

1 hour ago, Oranje said:

To be fair, the entire TFC midfield looks lost/sloppy, especially against NE. I feel like it's a result of Vanney's only tactic of "ride or die only through Gio"

Very true, I can't understand why when Gio was clearly being taken out of the game by NER Vanney didn't try to put him out wide and instead Gio was coming back centrally to collect the ball 50 yards from goal.  Aside from a few moments of individual magic Giovinco was a non-factor.. I think when teams shut him down you gotta throw him on the left and let him run at right backs and cut in, he's extremely dangerous in that position and it's extremely hard to box him out. 

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

Janusz Michallik? He's terrible. Never stops talking. 

I didn't think Osorio was great today but he was constantly grinding on Osorio.

I think Osorio's lawyer must have got in touch because I saw a post-game video analysis of the game where Michallik finally got it right that it was Delgado on the right (you know, where he was playing the entire time he was on the field) that was to blame for the first goal. They also showed an angle on the second PK shout that NE had (and the one I thought actually was a PK) indicating that Bradley got the ball first so it wasn't a PK. Frankly though, I've still seen them given even if he got the ball first since it was from behind.

Re: Johnson vs. Osorio, it shouldn't be an either/or for the national team. When we are scoreless at home against El Salvador, needing a goal to confirm our place in the Hex, I think the chances of us creating a goal if Osorio comes off the bench to replace De Guzman are markedly increased vs. Piette coming off the bench (which is a very forseeable circumstance).

^If Osorio doesn't score in MLS why would we expect him to score for the national team? Even as far as setting up goals he seems to have one move once he enters the offensive zone, give it to Giovinco. If that option is not open he usually loses the ball and that will not be an option with the national team.

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 0:11 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I think Osorio's lawyer must have got in touch because I saw a post-game video analysis of the game where Michallik finally got it right that it was Delgado on the right (you know, where he was playing the entire time he was on the field) that was to blame for the first goal. They also showed an angle on the second PK shout that NE had (and the one I thought actually was a PK) indicating that Bradley got the ball first so it wasn't a PK. Frankly though, I've still seen them given even if he got the ball first since it was from behind.

I did listen to the pbp for a rare change and the colour guy was WAY too verbal for my liking so I'll probably go back to the mute button.

Though it was particularly bad with the Osorio/Delgado misidentity, I was left wondering at the time:  did not his director/booth production team for TSN notice the error and tell him in his headset to make the change?  Surely Reed must have noticed?  That mistake was allowed to carry on way too long.  

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

^If Osorio doesn't score in MLS why would we expect him to score for the national team? Even as far as setting up goals he seems to have one move once he enters the offensive zone, give it to Giovinco. If that option is not open he usually loses the ball and that will not be an option with the national team.

True he doesn't score in the MLS but as I mentioned in an earlier post, Vanney's only tactic is get the ball to Gio. I feel that this is stunting the creativity that Osorio showed glimpses of under Nelson. With the CMNT not scoring any goals either and thus doesn't have a Gio-esque player, that creativity may return.

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

^If Osorio doesn't score in MLS why would we expect him to score for the national team? Even as far as setting up goals he seems to have one move once he enters the offensive zone, give it to Giovinco.

My point is that you need different types of players in a 23 man squad in World Cup Qualifying, and Osorio brings something off the bench that would be different than Piette does. If we are up 3-0 against ES and that's the scoreline we need to hold to advance to the Hex, by all means put on Piette. But in the situation I outlined earlier where we are in desperate need of creating a goal, would you rather have Piette coming on to create chances in the middle of the park or Osorio? And if not Osorio, who else are we thinking of at this point can play that role that we have at our disposal. Pedro Pacheco perhaps and maybe by September Marco Bustos, but there's not a lot of options that I see for a playmaking, attacking-midfield role that are demonstrably better that Osorio at ths point. As for Osorio's play so far this year, I expect TFC - and Osorio - to be more attack-minded when they actually start playing some home games, right now they are basically playing to  grind out points on the road, which as Vanney has noted, is perhaps trying too hard to make sure they don't lose first moreso than trying to win on the road.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I did listen to the pbp for a rare change and the colour guy was WAY too verbal for my liking so I'll probably go back to the mute button.

Though it was particularly bad with the Osorio/Delgado misidentity, I was left wondering at the time:  did not his director/booth production team for TSN not notice the error and tell him in his headset to make the change?  Surely Reed must have noticed?  That mistake was allowed to carry on way too long.  

Agreed, particularly as even at half time analysis they were still misidentifying the players on the play.

If Terry Dunfield is now available, I say give him a chance in the booth!

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

My point is that you need different types of players in a 23 man squad in World Cup Qualifying, and Osorio brings something off the bench that would be different than Piette does. If we are up 3-0 against ES and that's the scoreline we need to hold to advance to the Hex, by all means put on Piette. But in the situation I outlined earlier where we are in desperate need of creating a goal, would you rather have Piette coming on to create chances in the middle of the park or Osorio? And if not Osorio, who else are we thinking of at this point can play that role that we have at our disposal. Pedro Pacheco perhaps and maybe by September Marco Bustos, but there's not a lot of options that I see for a playmaking, attacking-midfield role that are demonstrably better that Osorio at ths point. As for Osorio's play so far this year, I expect TFC - and Osorio - to be more attack-minded when they actually start playing some home games, right now they are basically playing to  grind out points on the road, which as Vanney has noted, is perhaps trying too hard to make sure they don't lose first moreso than trying to win on the road.

You put on Hume to play that role, behind the striker. Or push Hutch up into it. Both are better scorers too and are physically dynamic. 

I don't get this business of Osorio being our only valid attacking and playmaking mid. Where did you get that from?

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You put on Hume to play that role, behind the striker. Or push Hutch up into it. Both are better scorers too and are physically dynamic. 

I don't get this business of Osorio being our only valid attacking and playmaking mid. Where did you get that from?

A little town called Strawmansvillle, Ontario, apparently......

I didn't say Osorio was our only valid attacking & playmaking mid, particularly since I listed some other options - I just don't happen to think those other options are "demonstrably better" in that position. If Hume can play an attacking mid role to move the ball up to the strikers, then great - though I haven't ever seen him play that role for club or country and Floro didn't use him there against the US.

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

A little town called Strawmansvillle, Ontario, apparently......

I didn't say Osorio was our only valid attacking & playmaking mid, particularly since I listed some other options - I just don't happen to think those other options are "demonstrably better" in that position. If Hume can play an attacking mid role to move the ball up to the strikers, then great - though I haven't ever seen him play that role for club or country and Floro didn't use him there against the US.

I happen to be totally in favour of seeing Osorio in the mix, by the way. And I don't agree with these silly comments about him hardly scoring, he does fine for his position and time on the field. 

BTW, I checked my thesaurus and that town you mention does not exist!!

Aird goes 82 minutes in our 0-1 loss to RSL. He handled Plata pretty good which is hard to do. Plata seemed to be more effective when he moved away from Aird's side. Good progress for Aird. His defending will be a work in progress for some time but his sprints to get back and help out defensively are truly awesome. The desire to be great both on offence and defence  is clearly there in the effort.

Only down side was that as he went to head the ball out of bounds Plata pulled him back a bit. Not enough to draw a foul but enough so the ball didn't go out of bounds but skipped off his head and right to Plata who then took the ball into the box and setup the winning goal.

Osorio & Johnson play 90 for TFC in a 1-0 road win in DC. Chapman played the last 25 minutes of the match. Babouli, Morgan & Roberts stayed on the bench for this one.

Ouimette played 87 minutes as he was taken off for another attacking player for NYRB to find an equalizer, which they did not do in the snow in Colorado. From the highlights it didn't look like Ouimette was at fault for either goal in a 2-1 loss to Colorado.

Archived