-- Morgan ---- Lefevre ---- Ouimette ---- Aird --

------------------------- Roberts -----------------------

57 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

CMNT made up of MLS players

------------ Larin --------------- Akindele ------------

-- Osorio ---- Bekker ---- Johnson ---- Tiebert --

-- Morgan ---- Lefevre ---- Ouimette ---- Aird --

------------------------- Roberts -----------------------

Bekker, Aird, and Ouimette have been pleasant surprises for me this season.

I'd personally choose Adekugbe over Morgan. I also think Kianz offers more than Teibert in an advanced role.

Osorio & Johnson play 90 and combine on the 2nd goal for TFC in a 2-0 win over Montreal, which brought on Tissot & Bernier as first and second half subs, respectively. Babouli played about 5 minutes at the end for TFC while Morgan and Bekker remained on the bench for their respective teams. Chapman, Hamilton & Roberts were loaned to TFC II a day before the game, presumably to get some playing time.

Aird & Akindele starting for Vancouver & Dallas, respectively.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ouimette scores - but for Orlando. 3-2 NYRB with a few minutes to go.

Very poor game for Ouimette. He lost Larin way too easily on Orlando's opener, he should have been sent off for a last man challenge, then scored the own goal.

I think you are all overweighting the negativities of his performance, and underestimating the importance of winning. I seriously doubt they are concerned about Ouimette because the result was good.

And considering he got away with the foul when Larin was free, you really have to say "he was able to stop a breakaway without fouling". So that is a huge positive.

15 hours ago, Big_M said:

They've got to stop starting him. It's bad for the team and for him. Let him be a good USL player.

He is the best CB available to that team right now. He is always the closest one to the goal scorer no matter if the play came from his side or the other. The other CB and FBs are no where to be found. I think this is an indication he is all NYRB have until they get more people healthy. 

I didn't see the game but I did see a lot of comments from NYRB fans who did who said that it was unfortunate that Karl scored the own goal because he had a pretty good game otherwise. Some may fault him on the Larin goal as well, though I think the lion's share of the blame would likely be handed to the disappearing act done by the left-back on the play, since the Orlando player had a ton of space & time to march down the field unmolested and pick out Larin at his leisure.

On April 25, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Big_M said:

They've got to stop starting him. It's bad for the team and for him. Let him be a good USL player.

The own goal wasn't his fault. It came over two other players and hit his hip. The tackle on Larin was debatable since he got a slight touch to the ball first. And his team won so whatever.

Let's be honest, the entire NYRB back line has been terrible this year. Has Ouimette been good? Not particularly. Has he been the worst CB on that team? No, in fact he's been arguably their best CB even with his mediocre performance. Even during Sunday night's game some NYRB supporters were praising him despite the mistakes we all saw. Here are some stats on the NYRB CB's to show just how bad they've been as a group:

- Lawrence has been on the pitch for 4 GA in 216 minutes. 1 GA / 54 minutes

- Zubar has been on the pitch for 7 GA (which includes 1 OG) in 319 minutes. 1 GA / 45.6 minutes

- Duvall has been on the pitch for 2 GA in 90 minutes. 1 GA / 45 minutes

- Ouimette has been on the pitch for 13 GA (which includes 1 OG) in 582 minutes. 1 GA / 44.8 minutes

- Baah has been on the pitch for 7 GA in 225 minutes. 1 GA / 32.1 minutes

Now, once other CB's return I don't think Ouimette has done enough to keep his spot. If all CB's are healthy, Ouimette is probably 3rd / 4th CB on the depth chart. Perinelle is the first choice CB. Zubar would probably be second choice CB, but he has been flat out bad this year even though the stats don't really back that up, so Baah may be 2nd choice CB. Baah hasn't been good either, but NYRB supporters seem to want him on the pitch. 

Does any of this mean Ouimette should just go "be a good USL player" (whatever that means)? Not at all, and really what does sending him to USL accomplish in the end? Nothing, it's just simply an overreaction to a rough game based on a couple of highlights.

I was not inferring that this performance will have any impact on his spot on the team or what the coaching staff thinks of him. All I was saying was that in watching the game, I did not think that he played well, and pointed out the most notable moments of the match that he was involved in.

Teibert and Aird go the full 90 in our 1-1 draw against Kansas. Russ looked much better in the DM role tonight. I'm glad to see that. Down to 10 men when Waston got sent off at the 51 minute mark so a lot of defending after that.

Montreal started 4 Canadians last night in a 1-1 tie against FCNY, Bekker, Tissot, Lefevre and Bernier. Bekker played 81 minutes and the other 3 played 90. The Impact overall played poorly but managed to steal a point with an Oduro goal in extra time. None of the Canadians stood out but they were also not responsible for the poor play, it was the more prominent players that underperformed. The horrible pitch at Yankee stadium nullifies Bekker's strengths a bit. I thought Biello made a poor decision against TFC not to start him which hurt us as we missed his ability to move the ball and control midfield and Donadel is not as good in those regards. Tissot has had a good couple of games and was one of the few bright spots in what was our worst game of the season against TFC. Against NY he set up Piatti nicely once (Piatti should have done better with this) and combined well with Piatti throughout. He was also alone in front of keeper on a 2 man rush with 1 defender but Donadel instead of passing shot directly at the keeper. Tracking back is usually his weakness but he was pretty solid defensively in this game (and the TFC one). He could have possibly marked his man tighter on the goal but the blame for the goal is pretty evenly spread among all 4 defenders (Lefevre could have marked tighter too, Ciman got caught on a failed tackle and lost the man who scored, Oyongo did not cover anyone). When Toia and Camara come back from injury, Tissot will probably go back to the bench but he is at least showing that he can do a good job when he starts and hopefully the playing time he gets now will help him challenge more for a starting spot. At the very least he is showing he should get time in the squad rotation during a long season. Lefevre also was mostly good and certainly has a chance to challenge for the starters spot after the awful performance of Cabrera against TFC. Cabrera has a better skill set but is also more prone to costly errors than Lefevre. Lefevre may also match better with Ciman since both Ciman and Cabrera take a lot of risks while Lefevre is more conservative. Despite the two bad performance this week, we are in first place in the East. 

Sam makes his first start of the season and goes the full 90 in our 2-3 loss to NYFC. On a pitch that small it is hard to get a good judge of a player. Poor defensively but nicely weighted passes up to Manneh.

Larin played the full game in the 2-2 draw against NE. He didn't do anything spectacular but when you add it all up I think he had a really strong game. He drew both CBs to him on the first goal and his crossed set-up the second goal. When the game was 1-1 he did a good job being a wide outlet and held things up well. He still relies on service but it's good to see him being effective when it's not there.  

11 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Larin played the full game in the 2-2 draw against NE. He didn't do anything spectacular but when you add it all up I think he had a really strong game. He drew both CBs to him on the first goal and his crossed set-up the second goal. When the game was 1-1 he did a good job being a wide outlet and held things up well. He still relies on service but it's good to see him being effective when it's not there.  

Looks to me like he made a pin-point cross for the 2nd goal, I'm surprised he wasn't credited with an official assist. Also impressive though was the timing of his run which led to the cross - making sure he broke at the right time to stay on side. More of that for Canada please.

On May 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Looks to me like he made a pin-point cross for the 2nd goal, I'm surprised he wasn't credited with an official assist. Also impressive though was the timing of his run which led to the cross - making sure he broke at the right time to stay on side. More of that for Canada please.

How in the world did they not credit him with an assist?  Who is in charge of that?  Is it hometown scorekeepers like in junior hockey? 

2 games in a row starting 4 Canadians has shot Montreal up the Canadian playing time rankings. Even better they are all playing well enough that they are justifying their playing time. Bekker was quite good against Colorado and while he is still not the most physical guy is really running hard and defending and was subbed out mostly because he was tired from running a lot. He is making a case to be the first choice DMid over Donadel and Alexander. Tissot also has been much improved this year. The goal was nice but he has been always been good offensively it was his defending that is lacking and that is much improved. Toia has been such a good player for us since we got him in the Chivas that I did not see Tissot getting a lot of time this year but he is giving Toia a challenge for the position. I suspect Toia will still be the starter once he is back from injury but I think Tissot has put himself into the playing rotation and moved up the depth chart to main left back substitute whereas previously they preferred to play Oyongo on the left if Toia was injured and Camara was on the right. Lefevre has also been very good. He is not as technically or physically gifted as Cabrera but he is a smarter player, makes fewer errors and is a conservative defender which pairs better with the risk taking Ciman than Cabrera does. Bernier has not been that good so far this year but the Colorado game was a much better one and restored some hope in me that he can still play at the level we are used to from him. Interesting that at half time before they left the pitch Bernier was talking to Bekker and seemed to be giving him some tips on what to do in certain situations. Some are saying the Canadians are playing more because of having a Canadian coach but I am not sure of that. It seems this year that a few of them have improved (and the coaching may indeed have played a role in that) yet they basically all got a chance to play from injury like they had in previous years the difference being that they are showing a lot more ability to be good MLS players in the opportunities they are getting than they did in previous years.

http://the11.ca/2016/05/02/overwhelmingly-canadian-power-rankings-mls-week-9nasl-week-5usl-week-6/

Archived