Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

Thinking about salaries in MLS. Well it is good they have raised minimums but they have to raise them way more, that is comparatively embarrassing.

I am thinking about the NBA: the spread between the very top and the minimum wage is higher in MLS than the NBA. In the NBA first year minimum is half a million, second is over 800 grand--top player was Kobe with 25 million. A 50 times difference at most. The spread at the top soccer clubs could be similar, someone at 15-20 million and someone at half a million is not unusual.

In MLS you have tops Giovinco at over 7 million, and minimum just over 50 grand, with a lot of players on it, a 140 times difference. Players at TFC making 0.8% of the top player. Which considering they are pro athletes is a bare middle class Canadian wage and maybe lower middle in an expensive city.

I think a rule stating no team can pay any player any less than 2% of the top paid player would be a start. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Increasing the minimum will not make those players any better. If you want to make the league better you either raise the cap or make DP's cap exempt while raising the non-DP max. salary so that better second tier players can be recruited.

It must be hard to sell the wages to those guys that are 20-22 and making the minimum.  The pressure to hang up the boots and do something else must be enormous.  You would think MLS can get the minimum up enough that guys just dont walk away from the league (and soccer) because the money is a joke.  

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thinking about salaries in MLS. Well it is good they have raised minimums but they have to raise them way more, that is comparatively embarrassing.

I am thinking about the NBA: the spread between the very top and the minimum wage is higher in MLS than the NBA. In the NBA first year minimum is half a million, second is over 800 grand--top player was Kobe with 25 million. A 50 times difference at most. The spread at the top soccer clubs could be similar, someone at 15-20 million and someone at half a million is not unusual.

In MLS you have tops Giovinco at over 7 million, and minimum just over 50 grand, with a lot of players on it, a 140 times difference. Players at TFC making 0.8% of the top player. Which considering they are pro athletes is a bare middle class Canadian wage and maybe lower middle in an expensive city.

I think a rule stating no team can pay any player any less than 2% of the top paid player would be a start. 

You can't compare anything to the NBA, they have no hard cap and rosters of 14 with league revenue of $15B.  It's also a game where one player can dominate and demand a "max contract." You can't really accurately compare MLS to anything else because the league is a hybrid between traditional NA leagues and traditional football leagues. 

I agree it's staggering, you go back and look at Beckhams teammates and the discrepancy is even higher. I think the Everdivise or maybe Portugal would be a better comparison. But I have no idea of revenues or salary range.

You have to wonder how situations like Seba's or Bradley's play in the room. There was seemingly issues when De Guz came to TFC making 10 times what De Ro made, do Jay Chapman/Mo Babouli/Jon Lovitz resent guys making 75-125 times their salary? It is odd and not something you see in North America.

7 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You can't compare anything to the NBA, they have no hard cap and rosters of 14 with league revenue of $15B.  It's also a game where one player can dominate and demand a "max contract." You can't really accurately compare MLS to anything else because the league is a hybrid between traditional NA leagues and traditional football leagues. 

I agree it's staggering, you go back and look at Beckhams teammates and the discrepancy is even higher. I think the Everdivise or maybe Portugal would be a better comparison. But I have no idea of revenues or salary range.

You have to wonder how situations like Seba's or Bradley's play in the room. There was seemingly issues when De Guz came to TFC making 10 times what De Ro made, do Jay Chapman/Mo Babouli/Jon Lovitz resent guys making 75-125 times their salary? It is odd and not something you see in North America.

I thought the NBA did have a team cap, at around 55 million (of the top of my head), which is why players get traded or are left to free agency, to get more salary space. The risk of having a high-paid star, or a lot of older guys with salary guarantees, is you can weaken the overall team balance.

In a sport where you need 11 players to be all on form, and if you play with 10 (9% less) you really notice it, there is no justification for the spread that exists now. And I am sure you are right: if you are a defensive mid covering some flashy attacking mid DP's ass the whole game, so he can flourish and you clean up the mess when he doesn't backtrack or misses, then you should be bothered. 

As for Julian, the real problem was that they overpaid him. He did not have a single European offer for even half of what they paid him at TFC, so there was no reason to pay him that. It should have been between 40-50% lower if they'd been at all respectful of the market.

Larin scores twice and goes the distance as Orlando defeat Montreal 2-1. Bekker & Lefevre played the full 90 for Montreal, Tissot came on for the last 4 minutes apparently (haven't seen the highlights yet, but that would be right before or after Larin's winning goal). Bernier & JGL left on the bench for Montreal.

Akindele also scores twice in a 4-2 Dallas win over New England, the first on a PK, the last in the 90th minute.

Johnson & Babouli play 90 for TFC, Chapman the first 45 before he's subbed for Osorio for the 2nd half as Toronto draw 0-0 at home against Columbus, ending a somewhat disappointing homestand. Morgan was left on the bench, while Roberts appears to be playing for TFC II as Bono was the back-up tonight. Babouli set up Giovinco for some glorious scoring chances which weren't converted, and for what its worth, he was given the MOTM by whoever decides these things in the press box. Still, a pretty good night for Canadian strikers in MLS overall.

Larin should have had 3 but missed the sharp angle outside of the right foot shot earlier in the game. His second was borderline offside. From all angle it looks like he was just inches offside but the side judge let it go. Good to see him break out of his mini-slump.

58 minutes ago, TRM said:

Larin should have had 3 but missed the sharp angle outside of the right foot shot earlier in the game. His second was borderline offside. From all angle it looks like he was just inches offside but the side judge let it go. Good to see him break out of his mini-slump.

Looked to me like a Montreal player went for the ball as the pass was being hit, made contact and it deflected directly to Larin, making it onside regardless of Larin's position, no?

5 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Looked to me like a Montreal player went for the ball as the pass was being hit, made contact and it deflected directly to Larin, making it onside regardless of Larin's position, no?

The one replay from behind the net was the one that showed Larin roofing it. I didn't see the deflection. Damn now I've got to go watch it again because this will bug me all night if I don't. Does a deflection count to put someone onside? I didn't think so.

5 minutes ago, TRM said:

The one replay from behind the net was the one that showed Larin roofing it. I didn't see the deflection. Damn now I've got to go watch it again because this will bug me all night if I don't. Does a deflection count to put someone onside? I didn't think so.

I think if it is a clear attempt to play the ball and contact with the ball is made it negates the offside, one of those weird rules that is kind of hard to interpret and is often forgotten about or incorrectly used. Think Atiba Hutchinson vs the US in the 2007 gold cup. 

In order to negate an offside, the defender would have to play the ball deliberately, such as sn attempted backpass. If the attacking playeris in an offside position when his teammate plays the ball forward, he should be called offside as soon as he becomes active in the play, regardless of any deflection or ricochet off a defending player.

After re-watching it I still can't see if there was a deflection. If there was it didn't change the flight of the ball much. I'm glad it counted for Larin. Getting a pair will boost his confidence especially if his earlier miss had cost them the win.

IIRC Akindele has scored one other goal this season on a PK - and its actually good for Canada has someone who is a designated PK taker for their club.

As for Larin's 2nd goal, I think it is offside and shouldn't have been allowed

I thought Larin was no where to be seen in that first half than at the end he won a FK and scored on nice header. He was more lively in the second half and like TRM said, he could've had a goal but IMO he should've pass to an all alone Orlando player at the second post (maybe he didn't see it).

Wandrille had an uneven game. Made some great defensive plays but was caught napping a couple of times as well.

I like Bekker. Played a solid game with good passing in the middle. Keep things simple.

46 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

IIRC Akindele has scored one other goal this season on a PK - and its actually good for Canada has someone who is a designated PK taker for their club.

As for Larin's 2nd goal, I think it is offside and shouldn't have been allowed

I agree it was offside. I just assume the linesman did not move quickly with the play and was behind it, which would explain why he did not see it. 

Still, there is this quote after with Larin saying Kaká yells at him constantly about positioning and he tries to take it well, changing how he moves on the field. That is an example, Kaká could have shot but relied on where Cyle was supposed to be. So I am glad for the goal in terms of Larin developing, in spite of Mtl having a legit beef there.

Forget who was posting recently about not watching MLS unless Canadians are involved, but i flipped over to the Vancouver game just now, saw no Aird or any other Canuck listed to start and went back to watching the Copa del Rey final.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Forget who was posting recently about not watching MLS unless Canadians are involved, but i flipped over to the Vancouver game just now, saw no Aird or any other Canuck listed to start and went back to watching the Copa del Rey final.

Watched us win the Copa, in a gruelling match, very tough, then flipped over for the last 10 m of Caps. Don't know what I was thinking....

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

To be fair though, Aird was not playing because of his red card suspension. But yes the Caps only had one Canadian on the bench, Tiebert, and he stayed on the bench the whole match.

The bad news is no Canucks on the field for us today in our 2-4 loss to Portland. The good is that despite Aird having to miss this game due to a red card and the team having an entire week to sort things out Smith didn't make the field. They moved Parker over to RB. Aird gives a lot more offensively than Parker and Smith is way behind in his defensive development.

Archived