Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Only Morgan got off the bench though, which was disappointing considering the issues Toronto was having in the final third. Wanted to see Hamilton or Babouli at least given a shot in the last minutes 

9 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Morgan and Cheyrou are the best bench options for TFC until Altidore comes back.  Don't expect a lot of Babouli unless Endoh starts to falter.

It was disappointing not to see one of those young attackers come off the bench. I thought the changes Vanney made were strange, but hey he got a point after trailing 2-0 in New York. Gotto give some credit, overall his tactics worked. And play looked a lot better that last week, especially in the second half. 

Endoh was bad, I honestly don't see why he warrants a starting position. Morrow also, ok defensive he's fine, but going forward he ads absolutely nothing. Morgan should be able to take back the leftback spot, I mean comm on it can't be worse.  

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

It was disappointing not to see one of those young attackers come off the bench. I thought the changes Vanney made were strange, but hey he got a point after trailing 2-0 in New York. Gotto give some credit, overall his tactics worked. And play looked a lot better that last week, especially in the second half. 

Endoh was bad, I honestly don't see why he warrants a starting position. Morrow also, ok defensive he's fine, but going forward he ads absolutely nothing. Morgan should be able to take back the leftback spot, I mean comm on it can't be worse.  

I'd say yesterday was a bad example of Morrow, I'd say most days he outcomes Morgan, unless he fell out of shape in the offseason or something 

Endoh isn't going anywhere based on Vanney's comments. Good dribbling and crossed, but poor first touch and decision making

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I'd say yesterday was a bad example of Morrow, I'd say most days he outcomes Morgan, unless he fell out of shape in the offseason or something 

Endoh isn't going anywhere based on Vanney's comments. Good dribbling and crossed, but poor first touch and decision making

Endoh had at least two really nice well placed crosses that would have resulted in goals had Giovinco's leg been a couple inches longer.  That being said, there was one instance where he was wide open and completely missed the ball despite being under no pressure.  However, one mistake like that is not going to get you relegated to the bench.

2 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Endoh had at least two really nice well placed crosses that would have resulted in goals had Giovinco's leg been a couple inches longer.  That being said, there was one instance where he was wide open and completely missed the ball despite being under no pressure.  However, one mistake like that is not going to get you relegated to the bench.

Yeah he crosses well but I don't think his first touch and soccer IQ is worthy of automatic starter status. He was easily dispossessed several times yesterday. 

Still a great prospect as NCAA grads go 

7 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Yeah he crosses well but I don't think his first touch and soccer IQ is worthy of automatic starter status. He was easily dispossessed several times yesterday. 

Still a great prospect as NCAA grads go 

Yea that position is definitely a glaring hole for TFC at the moment.  I can't see us having a good campaign with Endoh as a starter, he has potential but is he really any better than Chapman for instance?  I've talked about this draft pick hype before, TFC has done it with every 1st rounder in their history.  

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yea that position is definitely a glaring hole for TFC at the moment.  I can't see us having a good campaign with Endoh as a starter, he has potential but is he really any better than Chapman for instance?  I've talked about this draft pick hype before, TFC has done it with every 1st rounder in their history.  

I don't think he'd completely hold back TFC, but he would be a weaker link in the attack. However, I don't think he's starting regularly once Altidore is back. I envision

Osorio -  Altidore - Giovinco

Delgado/Cheyrou - Bradley - Johnson

Morrow - Moor - Perquis - Beiteshour 

Becomes the starting lineup, with Endoh, Morgan, and Cheyrou/Delgado getting most minutes off the bench

Ouimette has a big opportunity ahead of him as Baah's hamstring injury looked pretty serious. From what I can tell from the highlights, the NYRB CB pair yesterday was dreadful in the first half, getting caught up the pitch on the first goal and making a massive mistake on the second in a failed clearance. Here's hoping he can snatch a starting spot for a run of games.

TFC loses 1-0 to Sporting KC. 

Will Johnson started and played 90. Thought he was his usual self, all over the midfield, a few missed chance in the final third

Mo Babouli made his MLS debut and played 15 minutes. Was very noticeable, and they TFC used him much more than they did Endoh. To me it looked like he was very selfish in his play, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Having said that, he will need to improve on his execution as he squandered every chance. One where he got the ball wide left and gave it away cutting into the middle of the box, and another where he took an ambitious shot from maybe 25 yards out where he missed the frame completely. Can't argue whether he's a better or worse option than Endoh from what I've seen from both. 

Jay Chapman made his 2016 and played 5 minutes. Didn't notice him much on the pitch.

13 minutes ago, shermanator said:

with a huge assist to Baldomero Toledo. 2nd week in a row TFC's had a goal scored on them that should have been whistled for an obvious foul, only this time they weren't able to equalize as the should-have-been-disallowed goal came much later in the game.

Osorio was not dressed due to a mild knee strain and Morgan and Roberts were un-used subs. As for Babouli, I certainly loved his confidence out there and willingness to make things happen and take players on. He'll get his chances and he'll start to take them.

33 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Will Johnson started and played 90. Thought he was his usual self, all over the midfield, a few missed chance in the final third

Mo Babouli made his MLS debut and played 15 minutes. Was very noticeable, and they TFC used him much more than they did Endoh. To me it looked like he was very selfish in his play, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Having said that, he will need to improve on his execution as he squandered every chance. One where he got the ball wide left and gave it away cutting into the middle of the box, and another where he took an ambitious shot from maybe 25 yards out where he missed the frame completely. Can't argue whether he's a better or worse option than Endoh from what I've seen from both. 

Jay Chapman made his 2016 and played 5 minutes. Didn't notice him much on the pitch.

On the positive side of things, he did put the ball on Altidore's head in the box with his first touch of the game.  That play as reason for optimism for me.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

with a huge assist to Baldomero Toledo. 2nd week in a row TFC's had a goal scored on them that should have been whistled for an obvious foul, only this time they weren't able to equalize as the should-have-been-disallowed goal came much later in the game.

Osorio was not dressed due to a mild knee strain and Morgan and Roberts were un-used subs. As for Babouli, I certainly loved his confidence out there and willingness to make things happen and take players on. He'll get his chances and he'll start to take them.

Ya, Toledo both screwed up the KC goal, and the straight red. Both were wrong. 

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

On the positive side of things, he did put the ball on Altidore's head in the box with his first touch of the game.  That play as reason for optimism for me.

I found that he was definitely attempting to create more than Endoh which was positive. Just not great execution in this particular 15 minutes. I was high on Endoh (heh) after the NYRB game but he hasn't impressed me much in the last two. I think he's where Babouli's main competition will be for minutes this year.

12 hours ago, shermanator said:

Ya, Toledo both screwed up the KC goal, and the straight red. Both were wrong. 

Ironically I thought the stomp on Cheyrou (the one where Brad Davis didn't put the ball out of play for) was far more deserving of a red than the one he actually gave (which I agree was harsh), and he didn't even give a foul on that play. It was like Toledo realized with 4 minutes left that he hadn't given out a straight red yet and his reputation for doing so was at stake, so he picked on Espinoza. Too bad the suspension won't carry over into international play.

I hope the bad calls leading to goals start going the other way, in TFC's favour.

On 3/20/2016 at 11:14 PM, davey_twelve said:

Akindele entered the game in the 75th minute and Dallas scored both their goals shortly after. Tesho had a couple nice touches, one setting up the second goal.

It is unfortunate that Akindele appears to be relegated to a substitute role this season. I was hoping that he would build on last year's solid season but playing time has been limited for him so far.

I think Akindele will be ok, there is alot of depth in Dallas in the attack, he just needs to get positive performances in the sub role and some starts will come.

Also nice to see Balbouli try and grab the bull by the horns in his limited time on the field,  He was very lively if not all that effective, I'd hate for Vanney to stifle the creativity and the attacking instincts he showed.

Aird looked alot better in the defensive end for VWC, shows he is learning the RB spot and settling in nicely.  Didn;t realize he was so fast, he closed with wingers so quickly when he did get caught out of position.   

On March 22, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Bison44 said:

Also nice to see Balbouli try and grab the bull by the horns in his limited time on the field,  He was very lively if not all that effective, I'd hate for Vanney to stifle the creativity and the attacking instincts he showed.

Yeah, kudos to Balbouli for seizing the opportunity he was given. He gave it 110% from the get go. A stark contrast to Chapman during his first couple of games last year where all he did was play it safe. To Chapman's credit, he did improve over the year even if he didn't do much on Sunday.

Back to Balbouli though, his play definitely got me a soccer stiffy, lol. You can tell the French FFF mandate the academy has  undertaken is taking effect through Balbouli's first touch, how he controlled the ball by running onto it with ease, the quick pass to his teammate. That is key to French football, quick decision making, and our boy showed it. I'm not going to praise the system just yet though. Not saying we need to become the Olympique Lyonnaise (I can only dream) of MLS overnight but I need to see another 3 or 4 guys with the same skill set come through before I can be fully convinced.

Aird goes the full 90+ and Sam gets 21 as a sub at left mid. Aird looked better defensively except for the last 10-15 minutes where I think he got mentally out of it a bit and misjudged a few plays. Sam looked very good both offensively and defensively.

10 hours ago, TRM said:

Aird goes the full 90+ and Sam gets 21 as a sub at left mid. Aird looked better defensively except for the last 10-15 minutes where I think he got mentally out of it a bit and misjudged a few plays. Sam looked very good both offensively and defensively.

Any word on RT's timeline for return?

Archived