Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Any word on RT's timeline for return?

Russ is apparently back to training and Devos was talking about how he did the "Grouse Grind" in 37 minutes (very respectable time) so he is able to do serious cross country uphill running. Soon we all hope.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/3/2016 at 5:16 PM, TRM said:

Russ is apparently back to training and Devos was talking about how he did the "Grouse Grind" in 37 minutes (very respectable time) so he is able to do serious cross country uphill running. Soon we all hope.

That is not cross country uphill running, actually. It is rather fast uneven step walking. But it demonstrates he is fit, that is for sure. 

I do the grind in anywhere from 52 to an hour BTW.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is not cross country uphill running, actually. It is rather fast uneven step walking. But it demonstrates he is fit, that is for sure. 

I do the grind in anywhere from 52 to an hour BTW.

Was there last summer and saw some people doing it seriously. Okay so "uneven step walking" sure looks a lot like running to me. Damn fastest "walk" I've ever seen.

52-60? Sick!

14 hours ago, TRM said:

Was there last summer and saw some people doing it seriously. Okay so "uneven step walking" sure looks a lot like running to me. Damn fastest "walk" I've ever seen.

52-60? Sick!

Okay I've thought about this a bit more. My kid who is in great shape does it in the low 40s, so I guess 37 is frigging fast. 

The record is like 28 or 29 minutes. 

Last summer I went up Grouse around the back, up the Hanes Valley Trail, starting in the Lynn Valley headwaters. 

8 hours.

Ouimette played the full game against the Revs (1-0L). Both the usual CBs are on the DL week to week, LB Lawrence had to actually start beside Karl and was stretchered off in the 2nd half. Looks like Ouimette could see plenty of playing time to start the season but the Red Bulls have had a pretty bad start to the year.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Okay I've thought about this a bit more. My kid who is in great shape does it in the low 40s, so I guess 37 is frigging fast. 

The record is like 28 or 29 minutes. 

Last summer I went up Grouse around the back, up the Hanes Valley Trail, starting in the Lynn Valley headwaters. 

8 hours.

23:48 is the record set on August 24, 2010 so it has stood for 6 years like the previous record. Sebastian Salas of Vancouver beat the previous record of 24:22, set by New Zealand champion mountain runner Jonathan Wyatt, by 32 seconds. I'm planning on giving it a go next time out there and anything under an hour would be fantastic.

Here are the rather interesting highlights of the NER-NYRB. Really nice distance shot at beginning almost catches Robles off his line. Then the controversial goal (around 1:20) in which Ouimette's CB partner goes down seriously injured during play (his knee popped and he was stretchered off and subbed right after) and New England continues the attack and scores. Tough one to judge as while the injury did contribute significantly to the goal it is hard to demand a team kick the ball out of bounds when they are on the attack especially with the amount of injury faking going on. However, I think the biggest problem is not that he was injured and out of the play but that Agudelo was only kept onside because there was an injured player lying on the pitch. Because of this the ref and/or linesman really should have whistled the play dead. Then a pretty harsh red card on Felipe shortly after in what actually looks like both players go in hard for the ball and even if you call the foul on Felipe, red seems pretty harsh. The ref was Mark Geiger. MLS has a lot of poor refs but he is one of the worst. With Lawrence their usual LB who had moved over to CB due to the previous defensive injuries also injured now, Ouimette should certainly get a lot of playing time in the next while though the quality of his defensive partners may not be great.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/01/red-bulls-say-decision-revolution-play-player-down-shameful

Aird goes the full 90 in our 0-0 draw with LA. They were really targeting Aird. I haven't seen the heat map or passing map yet but I'd say 2/3rds of their attacks focused on Aird. He is getting better defensively and he and Waston have very good communication. It also helped a ton that Techera was working hard defensively in front of him.

On 2/4/2016 at 4:25 AM, TRM said:
23:48 is the record set on August 24, 2010 so it has stood for 6 years like the previous record. Sebastian Salas of Vancouver beat the previous record of 24:22, set by New Zealand champion mountain runner Jonathan Wyatt, by 32 seconds. I'm planning on giving it a go next time out there and anything under an hour would be fantastic.

If you are in Van in the summer we can pace each other, it's a deal. 

14 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Akindele comes on at HT and taps in an easy one to tie up CLB 1-1.

Bekker starts while Bernier and AJH come on in the 2nd half as MTL loses 1-0 to the Sounders

I only saw the last 20 minutes but I thought Bekker did well in his deeper lying holding mid role beside Alexander.

15 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I only saw the last 20 minutes but I thought Bekker did well in his deeper lying holding mid role beside Alexander.

I flipped back and forth between the MTL and VWFC games during the second half and from the limited time i saw Bekker in action he looked pretty good. His mobility looks much better, like he's been training hard to build his athleticism. Could he actually be rounding into a decent MLS player?

49 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I flipped back and forth between the MTL and VWFC games during the second half and from the limited time i saw Bekker in action he looked pretty good. His mobility looks much better, like he's been training hard to build his athleticism. Could he actually be rounding into a decent MLS player?

Playing as the linking guy in the double holding set up, imo, is his best spot on the field.  It plays more to his keep-the-ball-rolling passing strengths but also allows him defensively to concentrate upon blocking passing lanes and intercepting passes.

Sometimes it takes awhile for a player to find or, more importantly, accept his niche as a player.  You keep hoping he gets his true breakthrough season, but he has had a few false dawns in his career so far.

Good for Bekker, hope this run of form continues. I am glad that he didn't get labeled as a has been and hang up his boots before he found a "niche".  Also its a good example of why we need the CPL/more CDN teams playing CDN players.  I wonder if Phillipe Davies and E. Gage would have stopped playing if the CPL was around today?

On 4/3/2016 at 11:23 AM, Complete Homer said:

Babouli (60) and Johnson (90) started for TFC, Osorio (not fully fit) came on at 27 after TFC went down to ten men, and Morgan got subbed on at 76.

By my count, eight Canadians played last night. Add that to Oumiette on Friday and Larin tonight, that's not bad

On that note, Larin was subbed off after 20 minutes due to injury (a slight hamstring concern apparently) in his team's 4-1 thrashing of Portland. All the goals came after Larin's injury I believe.

Bekker played very well, I think he was our 2nd best player on the night after Toia. He was very active and involved in play and is starting to be a lot more physical. Nice short passing game, puts himself in position to receive passes as well and not afraid to go for the occasional long pass or strike at goal. If I have one criticism he needs to run with the ball more and not always be looking to pass it. There was one moment near the end where we saw the Bekker of old when a teammate (I forget who) made a bad back pass to him and he was a bit lackadaisical in running to get it and Seattle got it and had a 3 on 1 rush that Toia who seems to have a turbo speed setting ran back and broke up. Other than that Bekker was very strong and better than his DMid partner Alexander. If he can play like this consistently and improve on it he might find himself as a starter especially with the aging Impact midfield. Camara after a poor game last time out was also very good. A few of our other usual good performers were a bit under par, Piatti, Ontivero, Bush, Ciman but still we played well and were slightly better than Seattle and unlucky not to get at least a tie from the game but one poorly defended corner ruined things. Bernier did not look very good as a sub but possibly for the same reason Camara did not look good the week before, first game back from injury. Jackson-Hamel was active but could have done better on a few plays, the jury is still out on him, he looks good and makes some nice plays but he needs to also put the ball in the net.

Johnson and Osorio are in the starting lineup for TFC against NE. Morgan, Babouli, Chapman and Roberts are on the bench.

Bekker is in the starting lineup for the Impact. Lefevre, Bernier and Jackson-Hamel are on the bench. Really surprising to see how Tissot has fallen off the map out of nowhere for Montreal. He played pretty well in his limited minutes last year. I guess the Shipp and Venegas acquisitions just mean there's no room for him anymore.

Osorio and Johnson started for TFC and went the distance. Babouli came on in the 70th minute and Morgan in the 84th.

Bustos, Tiebert, and Aird start for VWFC. Bustos is subbed out at halftime, Froese subbed in for Teibert in the 61st and Aird went the distance.

Bekker started for IMFC scored and went the distance. None of the other Canadians got off the bench for Montreal.

Unfortunate result for Vancouver. They have started incredibly flat. This doesn't bode well.

Osorio could sue TSN's never-shut-up colour commentator (whoever the hell he was) for defamation on that New England goal. Note to the said commentator -Osorio wears #21 and was on the other side of the field from the player you identified as the culprit on the goal. I will also acknowledge the poor officiating was on TFC's side for once

Unfortunately Aird was the only MLS level Canadian playing for the Caps today. Teibert and Froese are coming back off injuries but that is the worst I've seen either play. Bustos? Sheesh. Just a huge negative.

We've started incredibly poorly this year. Our inability to score is a huge problem.

Archived