Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

22 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Jay Chapman missed a wide open header in the first half. He continues to spurn the opportunities he is given by starting due to injuries. He really needs to step up.

I've been his biggest critic, and I have to admit he had his best game with TFC by far. He finally showed he belongs at that level. Sure, he missed a sitter but the rest of his play wasn't an opportunity spurned.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, BradMack said:

You'll notice in my post I said that I wasn't saying he should be considered for the team... I'm referring to our past call ups of guys who were MLS reserves or Academy guys just starting out. I'm pointing out the fact that just getting minutes in MLS is no longer something "of note" when it comes to our national team. Kyle Bekker is perhaps a better example of this, I just used Chapman because we were discussing his performance at the time. But 2 years ago Bekker was getting called up seemingly just because he was ocasionally in an MLS 18 and Floro liked him... Now, floro probably still likes him, but we have better options and even though he's a starter now he needs to be impressive in those minutes to deserve a call up. If Chapman is playing this often a few years ago, regardless of his performance, he's getting called up... It's good that it is not the case anymore, but It is crazy how quickly our depth has grown, gives me a reason to be more optimistic about the future.

OK, I  understand better what you meant.  My misunderstanding came by the way you started it off ("It's pretty crazy Chapman isnt in the national team picture").

59 minutes ago, TRM said:

Kianz Froese comes in as a sub at the 81st minute in our 0-2 loss to LA. I wonder if Russ is injured? Both Kianz and Ben were in the gameday 18 but he wasn't.

Yeah, he was injured during the V Cup game which is why he came out at half.

On 4 juillet 2016 at 2:39 AM, BradMack said:

You'll notice in my post I said that I wasn't saying he should be considered for the team... I'm referring to our past call ups of guys who were MLS reserves or Academy guys just starting out. I'm pointing out the fact that just getting minutes in MLS is no longer something "of note" when it comes to our national team. Kyle Bekker is perhaps a better example of this, I just used Chapman because we were discussing his performance at the time. But 2 years ago Bekker was getting called up seemingly just because he was ocasionally in an MLS 18 and Floro liked him... Now, floro probably still likes him, but we have better options and even though he's a starter now he needs to be impressive in those minutes to deserve a call up. If Chapman is playing this often a few years ago, regardless of his performance, he's getting called up... It's good that it is not the case anymore, but It is crazy how quickly our depth has grown, gives me a reason to be more optimistic about the future.

When I watch TFC or Mtl I'm often making a similar reflection. We used to be calling anyone who was good enough to get some MLS starts. 

But when I look at our MNT, I'm wondering why we have to rely on 35 yrs old guy with bad knees to play in the middle of the park.

6 hours ago, aloyol said:

When I watch TFC or Mtl I'm often making a similar reflection. We used to be calling anyone who was good enough to get some MLS starts. 

But when I look at our MNT, I'm wondering why we have to rely on 35 yrs old guy with bad knees to play in the middle of the park.

I disagree that we "have to rely" on JDG.That's more Floro than anything. We have younger guys that can play his position but he is one of the coaches favorites. Julian also plays well when he's with Canada so I'm not going to complain about it.

On July 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM, aloyol said:

Because Floro thinks he's our best option.  I'm not trying to be cheeky in a Captain Obvious way with you or others here, but I think it says more about what he thinks of the competition for that place in the starting line up.  However, the performance of Arfield in that spot during the recent friendlies gives me optimism.  The injury to Johnson, on the other hand, gives me cause for concern.

45 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Because Floro thinks he's our best option.  I'm not trying to be cheeky in a Captain Obvious way with you or others here, but I think it says more about what he thinks of the competition for that place in the starting line up.  However, the recent performance of Arfield in that spot during the recent friendlies gives me optimism.  The injury to Johnson, on the other hand, gives me cause for concern.

Yes, but we do have depth of some sorts at CM. Play a triangle of Arfield, Hutch and Edgar, esp since it looks like Floro doesn't like Edgar at CB.

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

Yes, but we do have depth of some sorts at CM. Play a triangle of Arfield, Hutch and Edgar, esp since it looks like Floro doesn't like Edgar at CB.

He might not pick Edgar at all.  If that happened, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Both whitecaps and impact set to kick off. Not one Canadian in the starting lineup for either team...

And no Canuck subs so nada for us. I seriously hope they sign Edgar. Our exposure at RB is obvious and other teams are focusing on it. Smith is out of position and looking lost with Waston covering but leaving gaping holes in the middle. Not sure why Smith is getting the starts over Aird. Maybe they feel his height can help against taller teams? I've seen enough of the deer in the headlights thank you.

15 minutes ago, TRM said:

And no Canuck subs so nada for us. I seriously hope they sign Edgar. Our exposure at RB is obvious and other teams are focusing on it. Smith is out of position and looking lost with Waston covering but leaving gaping holes in the middle. Not sure why Smith is getting the starts over Aird. Maybe they feel his height can help against taller teams? I've seen enough of the deer in the headlights thank you.

Aird is still injured apparently. 

On the brighter side, TFC played 4 Canucks in their 1-0 win over Chicago. Had to miss this game and haven't watched the PVR of it yet, but I see that both Osorio & Hamilton were involved in the build-up to the TFC goal, with Osorio being credited with an assist. Babouli & Chapman came on late as subs. Morgan still injured (and obviously Johnson too).

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

They're not playing well in a bunch of areas at the moment.

The biggest deficiency is clearly defending. We are scoring more goals than last year but our keeper leads the league in shots faced (107) and saves (71). We have almost matched our goals against (33) to what we did all last season (36) and we are 19 games in.

The most obvious changes were Steve and Gersh leaving. While we do have replacements for the DM not named Laba role we have none at RB as solid as Steve was.

PS. Gian-Luca: My favourite part of that goal was how Hamilton shielded the defender when he realized his team-mate was going to get to the ball first. You could see it was intentional and very much a smart heads up play.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

The most obvious changes were Steve and Gersh leaving. While we do have replacements for the DM not named Laba role we have none at RB as solid as Steve was.

Take a closer look at the build up for the first goal.  That's a total breakdown in communication and/or situational awareness.  part of the problem is that the two Caps holding mids are simply occupying space (Jacobsen) or just chasing the ball (Laba).  Meanwhile, the Albanian left mid (and Strumbellas lead singer lookalike!) Gashi drifts into the centre completely unmarked.  If Smith is at fault there it would probably be because he (and the other CBs) didn't give a shout to Laba to be aware of the danger posed by Gashi.  Laba, in the meantime, chases towards the other Rapids player already being challenged by Harvey but the pass gets to Gashi, who makes a short dribble and then slides a nice ball onto Doyle's clever diagonal run for the finish beyond the two CBs who have looked less than effective of late..

On that goal yes it was a total breakdown. We've had several of those this year. For some reason there were 4 Caps lined up with the in the centre with Harvey being in the middle instead of to the left of Waston. If he is there is makes Doyle beat 2 players just to get the shot off. Harvey has been trapped up field too often this year.

I also agree that Waston & Kah were better at communicating than Waston & Parker but at some point you have to bring in a new CB as the old one needs to be phased out. They were communicating much better but things are clearly breaking down along the back.

11 hours ago, TRM said:

On that goal yes it was a total breakdown. We've had several of those this year. For some reason there were 4 Caps lined up with the in the centre with Harvey being in the middle instead of to the left of Waston. If he is there is makes Doyle beat 2 players just to get the shot off. Harvey has been trapped up field too often this year.

I don't see Harvey as the problem on that particular play.  The main issue is that no one picked up Gashi in the space between the back line and the holding mids.  When you watch the build up, the original pass from Cronin went to the man Harvey was already in position to cover, Pappa, but as he moves to close him down, Laba also decides to converge on Pappa, seemingly unaware that Gashi is behind him in a more dangerous area.  When Pappa slides the ball pass Laba and through to the Albanian, Harvey has to move to deal with this new threat.  With Smith covering the wide left Rapids player, that still leaves the two CBs to deal with Doyle's run.  I'll give credit to the Rapids for the smart movement and passing on that one but the Caps should have done better in dealing with Gashi's run in the first place.   

I'd like to see Aird back as well.  Many are speculating that Parker might move to RB with Edgar moving to the middle, but I'd love to see Robinson experiment with Edgar-Waston-Parker as a central CB trio and Aird and Harvey on the wings.  They can pull back to a defensive 5 or push up to an attacking 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1.  Aird provides the crossing threat that Smith should have provided but hasn't, and which Parker just doesn't have in his toolkit (yet at least).

Archived