Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1996 said:

No the best venue would be a spruced up Lamport, the pop up in Halifax, FCE stadium if they decide to go in, any stadium with 20000 seats like Hamilton's or Ottawa's or Regina's with only 5000 or less in it will look really empty trust me, I was a couple of games in Hamilton during the Pan Am games with less than 5000 in there at it was so empty it killed any sort of atmosphere.

Doesn't MLSE run Lamport now? Manning mentioned it in his interview on the vocal minority. 

Unfortunately that probably takes that venue off the table for the CPL.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

You must be the most un-patriotic Canadian I've came across in a long time...

In theory it would be your league as well but hey, you already checked out and "Souled Out"

*I know wrestling reference

I don't think bbtb was shitting on cpl there

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

No the best venue would be a spruced up Lamport, the pop up in Halifax, FCE stadium if they decide to go in, any stadium with 20000 seats like Hamilton's or Ottawa's or Regina's with only 5000 or less in it will look really empty trust me, I was a couple of games in Hamilton during the Pan Am games with less than 5000 in there at it was so empty it killed any sort of atmosphere.

First of all I agree 100% with you. 30,000+ CFL stadiums will have 0 atmosphere if they are 80% empty. Sure it may work short term. Many of them are modern facilities with modern concessions, seating scoreboards etc.... So of course we can start there just like MLS started in huge football stadiums. 

When Paul Beirne was in Halifax he said the CPL looked at the MLS model and studied what 'worked' and what 'didnt work'. He said the CPL planned to incorporate the things that did work for MLS and avoid their mistakes. One of the things that did not work was the giant NFL stadiums, there was a move to transfer teams into soccer specific size appropriate stadiums. Frankly that is in my opinion the single largest thing MLS got right. If they stuck with giant football stadiums the league would be long dead. I mean if we are serious about having a 'top tier' soccer league it would only make sense that the goal would be **eventually** all games would be played in soccer specific, size appropriate stadiums. 

Finally, I cant see the CPL billing themselves as a 'Tier 1' league while playing games on football lined fields. To be honest I would have a realy hard time watching any match played on a football lined field. A serious professional league and football lines dont go together. That would be like the AHL or NHL playing hockey games in rinks where there were curling rings everywhere. Would be absolutely absurd. 

14 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I think they manage it but the city still owns it, can anyone confirm? Does anyone know if it still runs at a loss? 

I asked before, but I guess no one has the answer to 

"What does it all mean?"

Does that mean a potential owner won't be able to move in?

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I think they manage it but the city still owns it, can anyone confirm? Does anyone know if it still runs at a loss? 

It is, but same can be said for BMO field. Not sure how the logistics of the operations would work, but I suspect that since MLSE a small portion of the construction costs for BMO, that they have a bit more sway at BMO than Lamport. They seemed to exert significant control over the choice of tenets in the whole Argonauts saga

If they are just operating Lamport on behalf of the city and have no equity, I'd be surprised if they could legitimately refuse a tenet based on their own business concerns.

But the above is speculation, I doubt anyone here has the details of the arrangement between MLSE and the city.

4 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I asked before, but I guess no one has the answer to 

"What does it all mean?"

Does that mean a potential owner won't be able to move in?

That venue could be a gem of someone wanted to put some money in to it. 

I've never ever seen Lamport full but I've always imagined what that stadium would look like with 10,000 people in there and with grass , the stands are right by the touchline on both sides, with just a few upgrades this place could be one of the better stadiums in North America to watch a game.

12 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I've never ever seen Lamport full but I've always imagined what that stadium would look like with 10,000 people in there and with grass , the stands are right by the touchline on both sides, with just a few upgrades this place could be one of the better stadiums in North America to watch a game.

and Manning knows this....reason why he said doesn't want a team moving 5 minutes away. 

BREAKING NEWS: Anthony Totera has just announced that the Canadian Premier League will finally be voted at the next general meeting of the CSA which is expected to take place on the week after May 10th. After this vote, it's now official and it will follow with the long awaited press conference within days.

Just now, Macksam said:

And why put a rival team in the same part of town?

Same reason why many teams around the world either share the same stadium or have their stadiums literally blocks away, see Everton and Liverpool to name just two.

8 minutes ago, matty said:

Shut up about lamport. Mlse runs it and the wolfpack set up makes it hard and maybe impossible

MLSE operates it on behalf of the city. It's not clear if MLSE has the capacity to turn down tenets, though the Argonauts situation makes me wonder

I wouldn't say the Wolfpack makes it impossible. We've seen how an SSS can be shared, and considering TFC plays most of its games on Saturday, I wonder if avoiding the Wolfpack's Saturdays would be a good idea regardless 

6 minutes ago, Macksam said:

And why put a rival team in the same part of town?

To me, any downtown stadium has a better shot than a suburb. Not saying it has to be Lamport, but there aren't a mountain of options

Just now, Complete Homer said:

MLSE operates it on behalf of the city. It's not clear if MLSE has the capacity to turn down tenets, though the Argonauts situation makes me wonder

I wouldn't say the Wolfpack makes it impossible. We've seen how an SSS can be shared, and considering TFC plays most of its games on Saturday, I wonder if avoiding the Wolfpack's Saturdays would be a good idea regardless 

To me, any downtown stadium has a better shot than a suburb. Not saying it has to be Lamport, but there aren't a mountain of options

Wolfpack play in blocks and they need to have the stadium free for almost the whole week in case they need to reschedule their games due to weather, broadcast changes or any "Act of God" otherwise they face sanctions. Basically a Toronto team based a Lamport would need to stay away from home for weeks at a time.

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Same reason why many teams around the world either share the same stadium or have their stadiums literally blocks away, see Everton and Liverpool to name just two.

These are not rivals in that sense.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Wolfpack play in blocks and they need to have the stadium free for almost the whole week in case they need to reschedule their games due to weather, broadcast changes or any "Act of God" otherwise they face sanctions. Basically a Toronto team based a Lamport would need to stay away from home for weeks at a time.

Hm, didn't realize that. Ok, pretty difficult 

17 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

BREAKING NEWS: Anthony Totera has just announced that the Canadian Premier League will finally be voted at the next general meeting of the CSA which is expected to take place on the week after May 10th. After this vote, it's now official and it will follow with the long awaited press conference within days.

Oh great, now BBTB is going to come back here and remind us about the time we were all convinced that it would be approved back in December, while he kept saying "We haven't heard anything yet so it must not have been approved" and we all shit on him for that line of thinking.

Thanks for nothing, Totera! :angry:

Archived