Canadian Premier League

ted

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Whatever man, keep this "we have USL and NASL" to save us rhetoric...it sure has got us results in 30 years

He's abadonned the USL/NASL lately since it's clear the league is happening.  Now it's criticizing the CSA, CFL and about the league standards that need to meet his approval lol

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ansem said:

I know. Not saying the CSA are perfect but no one can deny the intent to do things differently. Relying on NASL and USL for D2 isn't any better for us.

The best was BBTB replied at the same time I posted my joke lol

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't equate pro-rel as necessary to not half-ass it.  The strongest non-footy leagues in the world are the NBA, NHL, NFL, and NL/AM for baseball.  None of them operate on a pro-rel basis and they seem to do fairly well.  The idea that "real" footy must be built on a pro-rel foundation is something I have never really understood.

Yes, it is done in Europe.

No, we are not in Europe.

Just because we are looking to establish a footy league does not mean that it must be modeled after the European structure.

You're right, pro-rel isn't a must, but having it in a different format isn't bad either. A European pro/rel is unlikely but a D2 with a "Memorial Cup" rewarding the champion with 1 season in CPL (or another formula) with no relegation isn't bad either.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Seems pretty clear that the CSA is done "half assing" soccer in this country...just saying

whether or not you think it's gonna work or not, you gotta hand it to Monty, he's put his full ass on the line during his tenure.

It remains to be seen whether his full ass will be sitting on a throne or on a bed of coals.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're right, pro-rel isn't a must, but having it in a different format isn't bad either. A European pro/rel is unlikely but a D2 with a "Memorial Cup" rewarding the champion with 1 season in CPL (or another formula) with no relegation isn't bad either.

It'd be cool to see the bottom team in a CPL play against a champion of all of our other leagues combined for a place in CPL, but I don't think it's really viable for now.

Basically, if a market should be in CPL, it should already be in CPL, for now at least.

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

He's abadonned the USL/NASL lately since it's clear the league is happening.  Now it's criticizing the CSA, CFL and about the league standards that need to meet his approval lol

So much for being ignored. It's not at all clear that the league is happening, because Edmonton and Ottawa seem to want to stick with NASL/USL and without those markets plus Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal what's left?

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So much for being ignored. It's not at all clear that the league is happening, because Edmonton and Ottawa seem to want to stick with NASL/USL and without those markets plus Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal what's left?

Pretty sure the answer to that (presumably rhetorical) question has been posted about 1000 times now.

7 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

It'd be cool to see the bottom team in a CPL play against a champion of all of our other leagues combined for a place in CPL, but I don't think it's really viable for now.

Basically, if a market should be in CPL, it should already be in CPL, for now at least.

I don't think CPL markets would be relegated but as a mean to grow D2, this is how I could see it go

D2

• CanPL major stakeholder of the league
  • Replicating CHL (West-Prairies-Ontario-Quebec & Maritimes)
  • 4 Champions face each other in a Memorial Cup
  • Winner wins 1 season in CanPL
  • That team could defend it's right to stay in CPL by facing the following year Memorial Champion
  • No relegation of CanPL franchises to D2

That isn't trolling. If the Halifax powerpoint document is what the CPL people have in mind for their launch and I suspect it was, they actually do need Edmonton and Ottawa on board or it's almost certainly not happening next year. It is not at all clear that this league is happening in the manner currently envisaged if FC Edmonton want no part of it and Katz isn't interested. That could change if NASL goes into a death spiral over the next few months, but the NASL seem to have got off to a reasonable start so far.

Yes you need stadiums with no soccer lines at the very least, if not   SSS then at least do some small upgrades to give it more a soccer feel, a stadium like what FC Edmonton is playing in is more or less what every team should be playing in, playing in Hamilton at Tim Hortons Field with even 5000 people there is not going to be a good look, however, playing at a Lamport that fits 10000 with 5000 there is not bad, could you imagine playing at a Tim Hortons Field with football lines and even 5000 people there ya that's going to look so inviting, it's bloody 2017 people not 1980!

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don't think CPL markets would be relegated but as a mean to grow D2, this is how I could see it go

D2

• CanPL major stakeholder of the league
  • Replicating CHL (West-Prairies-Ontario-Quebec & Maritimes)
  • 4 Champions face each other in a Memorial Cup
  • Winner wins 1 season in CanPL
  • That team could defend it's right to stay in CPL by facing the following year Memorial Champion
  • No relegation of CanPL franchises to D2

damn that sounds pretty brilliant actually.  only downside I see is potentially the promoted sides dragging down the finances of the other CPL squads.  So maybe not right away but maybe after 5 years or so as a mechanism for growth, damn.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That isn't trolling. If the Halifax powerpoint document is what the CPL people have in mind for their launch and I suspect it was, they actually do need Edmonton and Ottawa on board or it's almost certainly not happening next year. It is not at all clear that this league is happening in the manner currently envisaged if FC Edmonton want no part of it and Katz isn't interested. That could change if NASL goes into a death spiral over the next few months, but the NASL seem to have got off to a reasonable start so far.

They need Ottawa and Edmonton markets but they don't need FCE or OFFC. If it isn't them, someone else will invest in those markets

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They need Ottawa and Edmonton markets but they don't need FCE or OFFC. If it isn't them, someone else will invest in those markets

At the same time, it would be nice if we could stop cannabalising ourselves when it comes to soccer in this country.

If people think that the only reason we have not produced players good eneough to qualify us for the World Cup is because we don't have a league then you have probably never been involved in youth soccer in Canada, the main reason is due to the fact that youth soccer in Canada for so many years was basically a baby sitting service where the majority of parents put there kids in soccer so they could drop them off for a few hours a week, and that's basically how the majority of these clubs have been run up to just recently , that's why a country with more participation rates than hockey has produced crap for years!

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

An original four?

It will actually be interesting to see how this is addressed when the league is announced - if FCE or OFFC are actually in this league, I'll doubt they'll want to say that when those teams are just starting their season.  OFFC's move to USL was announced in September or October last year; only a few games before the end.  One would have to think that, if they were moving again, they'd stick to the same kind of timelime.

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'll still call out your BS and the selective battles you pick to fight, don't worry about it.

1 minute ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

damn that sounds pretty brilliant actually.  only downside I see is potentially the promoted sides dragging down the finances of the other CPL squads.  So maybe not right away but maybe after 5 years or so as a mechanism for growth, damn.

The main benefit is exposing D2 champion to the top league (TV, fans, bigger stadiums, higher competition). Best way to get those kids to be hungrier and work harder to get to CanPL is to give them a taste of it.

Also, promotion would mean:

• they would get a piece of the CanPL pie financially
  • increase interest in the D2 league for markets outside of CanPL. Since the major stakeholder of D2 would still be CanPL, D2 serves as a mean to reach even more fans
  • allowing them to grow their regional fan base and sell more merchandise that could continue even after an eventual relegation
  • use that extra cash for their developmental programs
  • improve infrastructure, better equipment etc...
  • use extra cash to hire better staff
  • Realistically, more clubs would be incline to loan that team young quality players
  • they could buy better international players to play with the domestic players on the team
  • the whole exercise is to encourage D2 owners to actually have an incentive to invest and spend at D2 level

There are perks to a promotion system. It can be used to strengthen D2 league overtime as a promotion gives them access to some of that extra money. A stronger D2 results in a stronger D1 as those players skills increases as well. That's why for this to work, you need CanPL to own/control D2 as well whenever the CSA wants to start one. The reason why it will never fly in the US is that MLS owners have absolutely no incentive to share a piece of their revenues and exposure to a rival league like NASL and the current USL model doesn't work in that model. MLS would need to launch MLS2 and kill NASL while trying to make USL a developmental league.

CanPL could beat MLS to it.

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It will actually be interesting to see how this is addressed when the league is announced - if FCE or OFFC are actually in this league, I'll doubt they'll want to say that when those teams are just starting their season.  OFFC's move to USL was announced in September or October last year; only a few games before the end.  One would have to think that, if they were moving again, they'd stick to the same kind of timelime.

They better decide fast because there's absolutely no way in hell that CanPL will lock themselves out of those markets just to wait for FCE and OFFC.

It's more likely that OFFC moves in the league at launch, it's in their best interest.

1 minute ago, 1996 said:

...could you imagine playing at a Tim Hortons Field with football lines and even 5000 people there ya that's going to look so inviting, it's bloody 2017 people not 1980!

Easy enough to imagine if you watched the CSL on TSN back in 1987 as I suspect you did as well. The Steelers quickly bailed on Ivor Wynne, but at least they had a soccer first owner in place and had Brian Timmis as a viable alternative right next door with grass and a capacity that was a good fit for the level of interest. If it went south this time in a similar sort of way I suspect the plug would just get pulled on the franchise and the league as they are clearly not interested in anything that appears "minor league". Starting with six means that they probably need to get all six right to stay afloat and the economic model they are rumoured to have looks like a recipe for seven figure losses in most of the markets envisaged, so they would need very patient owners like the Faths and nobody that genuinely thinks that 8000 paid are going to show up from the get go and is going to panic if that turns out to be 1500 with freebies to youth soccer on a vast scale being needed to make the numbers look respectable on television.  

Archived