Canadian Premier League

ted

I have to agree that the SSS is the way to go. I'm sure to lots of people it seems far fetched, but Halifax might prove to have the best model. 

1. Build a less expensive temporary or semi-permanent stadium. 

2. Make sure it's in a proper location. 

3. Do your job on the marketing and on-field side so you fill it. 

4. Replace temporary with bigger permanent when you can. 

I'm sure this won't be Hamilton's approach. But long term, the Halifax model could win the day. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

I have to agree that the SSS is the way to go. I'm sure to lots of people it seems far fetched, but Halifax might prove to have the best model. 

1. Build a less expensive temporary or semi-permanent stadium. 

2. Make sure it's in a proper location. 

3. Do your job on the marketing and on-field side so you fill it. 

4. Replace temporary with bigger permanent when you can. 

I'm sure this won't be Hamilton's approach. But long term, the Halifax model could win the day. 

Regarding SSS: Yes they are nice but not everyone is going to have one built to their needs. If teams are connected to CFL teams those CFL stadiums will be used and if cities have decently sized stadiums they will house these teams. Teams will be in multi-use stadiums and teams will be in stadiums that are too fucking big for them.

It sucks but it's not death.

I'm not saying that a SSS isn't the way to go.  I'm just saying that in the real world things aren't going to be perfect.  Yeah it'd be nice if they launched a 30 team, three division, pro-rel pyramid but it's not going to happen.  There's going to be things the purists won't like.  As Matty said, it sucks but it's not death.

3 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Also, you keep talking about one off finals, that is much different than trying to convince someone to go there for a full season, year in and year out. 

My quote isn't about the final but Hertha, who want to move because the stadium is mainly too big for what they draw.

1 hour ago, Nathanael Martin said:

First episode of the revived Sea to Sea podcast by @Complete Homer and myself is up. Be gentle, we're just starting! Our intention is to focus on canPL news. http://pca.st/J1x9

And in pre-emptive defense, I really had been up for 30 hours before recording. I haven't listened yet but I expect I sounded... Disorganized 

SSS: I think that SSS for every teams will be a long term goal. We won't see that at first and by looking at MLS, they haven't made that happen either after 20 years but they are getting there.

Pro/Rel: I had a discussion at work with coworkers. At some point, D2 will happen in Canada. Who controls that D2 league determines the Pro/Rel.

• If it's like in the US (different leagues with different ownership for each leagues in a North American context), now way. NASL predates MLS so it makes it an even more complex issue. 
  • If CanPL controls a D2 league with an integrated business model than it could happen in some capacity. CanPL predating a D2 league makes it easier for them to control and immediately have stakes in it, or simply start it themselves to strengthen their monopoly by accepting bids from smaller markets

But I still think this is a post 2026 World Cup discussion.

10 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

No way the city allows that to happen... that's quite the walk from the 506 Streetcar loop or High Park Subway Station.

For a temporary stadium, anywhere near Danforth or Bloor would be very smart and for the best

Long term permanent structure has to be the Portlands:

Today

201197-port-lands-current.jpg

Future: (Streetcars to the new subway line are planned for that area)

05.jpg

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

While pop-ups are cool and everything....suggest where you would put one in the GTA?

I think thats the main challenge....finding land to either build a brand new (pop-up) stadium. And with this reality, people suggest renovating existing stadiums as a cost effective way instead of having to acquire land, and build.

While massive renovations have been suggested for sites like ESS, & Birchmount...a major point that @BringBackTheBlizzard makes slight reference to is that they were designed for multi-use sports. And since thats the case, I looked into what sports outside of soccer are using these stadiums and there are quiet a few. For instance the Metro Toronto Wildcats (throwball team) have been using ESS for years. I'm no politician, but wouldn't there be some kind of kickback to making something that is supposed to be multi-purpose to soccer specific?

location would be either birchmount, centennial,lamport or ESS 

what about a pop up Stadium at the Hershey centre 

Guess there's not as much space available at Downsview now as there used to be? It was Joe Volpe's favoured location for the 2007 U-20 WC when he was the Liberal federal government minister in charge on that, while the NDP at city council level pushed Exhibition Place and eventually won the argument when MLSE made their preference clear. No prizes for guessing which of the two locations was closer to Volpe's riding.

47 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Pro/Rel: I had a discussion at work with coworkers. At some point, D2 will happen in Canada.

Why?

I just don't see an obvious void that it would fill, especially if the CPL somehow hits this possibility of 16 teams in 10 years.

You'll have an NASL/USL level league at D1 in the CPL, with professional stadiums and attendances hopefully around 5000.  You'll have the various "semi-pro" D3 leagues, with attendances in the low hundreds playing on whatever turf field with lights and metal bleachers they could find.  Anything in the middle of that as a D2 - attendances of around 1000-2000, actually semi-pro, with something more than metal bleachers as a stadium - would face relatively low income but still have fairly high travel expenses... not exactly a great money-making scheme.

If there is to be something we could call D2, you'll like see it happen one of two ways.  You could see some CPL reserve league (Halifax Wanderers B ) - possibly with some affiliates (Sigma) thrown in - and someone slapping a D2 label on it just for the sake of doing so.  Alternatively, if you're just looking for something part-way between our D3 reality and any reasonable CPL expectations - you're probably not all that far off from what we see in the PDL out west.  If they care about having a D2 on the pyramid, it's not entirely impossible that the CSA tries to bring them into the Canadian system by offering them that D2 designation if they set up a Canadian league, and then mirror that by promoting some of your better L1O/PLSQ into a similar D2 league out east.

Tough to see many options for a viable D2 league though.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Why?

I just don't see an obvious void that it would fill, especially if the CPL somehow hits this possibility of 16 teams in 10 years.

You'll have an NASL/USL level league at D1 in the CPL, with professional stadiums and attendances hopefully around 5000.  You'll have the various "semi-pro" D3 leagues, with attendances in the low hundreds playing on whatever turf field with lights and metal bleachers they could find.  Anything in the middle of that as a D2 - attendances of around 1000-2000, actually semi-pro, with something more than metal bleachers as a stadium - would face relatively low income but still have fairly high travel expenses... not exactly a great money-making scheme.

If there is to be something we could call D2, you'll like see it happen one of two ways.  You could see some CPL reserve league (Halifax Wanderers B ) - possibly with some affiliates (Sigma) thrown in - and someone slapping a D2 label on it just for the sake of doing so.  Alternatively, if you're just looking for something part-way between our D3 reality and any reasonable CPL expectations - you're probably not all that far off from what we see in the PDL out west.  If they care about having a D2 on the pyramid, it's not entirely impossible that the CSA tries to bring them into the Canadian system by offering them that D2 designation if they set up a Canadian league, and then mirror that by promoting some of your better L1O/PLSQ into a similar D2 league out east.

Tough to see many options for a viable D2 league though.

Seems pretty clear that the CSA is done "half assing" soccer in this country...just saying

I don't equate pro-rel as necessary to not half-ass it.  The strongest non-footy leagues in the world are the NBA, NHL, NFL, and NL/AM for baseball.  None of them operate on a pro-rel basis and they seem to do fairly well.  The idea that "real" footy must be built on a pro-rel foundation is something I have never really understood.

Yes, it is done in Europe.

No, we are not in Europe.

Just because we are looking to establish a footy league does not mean that it must be modeled after the European structure.

Just now, Rheo said:

Some would argue against that statement lol :)

I know. Not saying the CSA are perfect but no one can deny the intent to do things differently. Relying on NASL and USL for D2 isn't any better for us.

Time for Canada to act like this planet 10th economy. Whatever form a future D2 level will look like, it will be under the CSA. They can replicate a CHL with a memorial cup model for the D2 to minimize travel costs. Memorial cup champ could be promoted to D1 or work out another formula.

Keep D3 a provincial thing with MLS and CPL puting their B teams in them

When I use to day dream about starting a new club in Toronto, my preferred location was the land south east of Dundas West Station (off Sterling next to the rail tracks) but I think they are building houses there now. 

Realistically Lamport is the best option and in the future could be worth redeveloping if the Wolfpack are successful. 

Archived