Canadian Premier League

ted

18 hours ago, matty said:

Toronto Fuck Money FC

Toronto Harlots
Geese is also a slang term for prostitutes...

11 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Please, no stadia where the supporters are behind a running track. It doesn't work. 

Not optimal for sure but there are lots of stadia where it does work so not a deal breaker.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/9/2017 at 2:18 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The way I remember it the Ticats and Ottawa were in rough shape but there was a solid core doing OK in the CFL especially in the prairie provinces. At one point the Ticats threatened to move to Varsity Stadium in Toronto when Harold Ballard owned them, because the Argos were still doing reasonably OK at that point and the GTA hadn't lost interest yet to the extent it has now and they weren't getting the deal they wanted at Ivor Wynne. Hard to imagine that happening now. All I'll add beyond that is that there's plenty of different scenarios that could unfold to get pro soccer into more Canadian cities with rosters that place a strong emphasis on Canadian players, so I think soccer could get there just fine even with zero help from CFL owners. If anything, I suspect the Ticats apparent need to be seen to compete with MLS and not be seen as being "minor league" in some way is what is holding things back.

Late to the gate on this one, you did get some things right on this one, but most you got wrong. To the first, yes in the 90s the Ti-Cats were in rough shape, as evidenced by the ticket drive of 95 to save to team. Ottawa ended up folding (twice) in the 90s as well due to bad ownership. Saskatchewan and Calgary were having a very hard go, as fans just weren't packing the place, BC was in an ownership mess, Winnipeg had a load of debt and while the Argos briefly saw a surge during the John Candy years and the new shine on the Dome, it was short lived as the later 90s marked the franchise's decline. This was also during Buffalo's repeat Super Bowl performances, drawing fans away in Ontario. The league, desperately seeking money began the ill fated US expansion, as well as received funding from the NFL for more relaxed player rights (because the NFL wants the CFL around). So pretty much, if by Solid core, you meant Edmonton (who had just come off the city of champions days) then you would be right.

Given the post was pertaining to the 90s and Harold Ballard sold the team in 89...not sure where that is coming from. Besides, sooner or later if you want access to the large venues in our country, you need to deal with the CFL owners or build your own stadium. That and the up comming World Cup bid, doesn't happen until Canada gets a league of it's own, and MLS/USL simply aren't Canadian leagues.

The joint bid just got annouced and we are only getting 10 games, so I doubt the have your own league thing even matters at this point. It didn't stop the Women's World Cup hosting in 2015, so suspect it's an urban legend.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-mexico-canada-joint-bid-2026-world-cup-183621165--sow.html

Announcing the bid, US chief Gulati said three quarters of the tournament's matches would be staged in the United States, with Canada and Mexico hosting 10 games each.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The joint bid just got annouced and we are only getting 10 games, so I doubt the have your own league thing even matters at this point. It didn't stop the Women's World Cup hosting in 2015, so suspect it's an urban legend.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-mexico-canada-joint-bid-2026-world-cup-183621165--sow.html

Announcing the bid, US chief Gulati said three quarters of the tournament's matches would be staged in the United States, with Canada and Mexico hosting 10 games each.

You must be the most un-patriotic Canadian I've came across in a long time...

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

your own league

In theory it would be your league as well but hey, you already checked out and "Souled Out"

*I know wrestling reference

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Seems pretty clear that the CSA is done "half assing" soccer in this country...just saying

Have you seen that World Cup bid? I'm afraid of even calling it half ass as that would probably come off as a compliment. It's literally 1/8 of an ass. 

There are typically 12 venues max and FIFA weren't planning on increasing that with 48 teams, so think that means 2 Canadian venues is the maximum likely? BMO Field gets another extension up to 40k and the Big O gets the Pontiac Silverdome in 94 treatment? Suspect Vancouver loses out to Seattle in Cascadia venue terms. Nothing much happening in Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax under that scenario unlike what could have happened with a solo bid.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

He's abadonned the USL/NASL lately since it's clear the league is happening.  Now it's criticizing the CSA, CFL and about the league standards that need to meet his approval lol

That's generally how he works.

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

Yes you need stadiums with no soccer lines at the very least, if not   SSS then at least do some small upgrades to give it more a soccer feel, a stadium like what FC Edmonton is playing in is more or less what every team should be playing in, playing in Hamilton at Tim Hortons Field with even 5000 people there is not going to be a good look, however, playing at a Lamport that fits 10000 with 5000 there is not bad, could you imagine playing at a Tim Hortons Field with football lines and even 5000 people there ya that's going to look so inviting, it's bloody 2017 people not 1980!

Tim Horton's field will probably be one of the better venues in the CPL.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There are typically 12 venues max and FIFA weren't planning on increasing that with 48 teams, so think that means 2 Canadian venues is the maximum likely? BMO Field gets another extension up to 40k and the Big O gets the Pontiac Silverdome in 94 treatment? Suspect Vancouver loses out to Seattle in Cascadia venue terms. Nothing much happening in Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax under that scenario unlike what could have happened with a solo bid.

this is the second time I've seen the 12 venues max thing on this board and I have yet to see that confirmed anywhere. Do you have a link confirming that? It was my understanding they were open to more for the 48 team tourny based on what I've seen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/sports/fifa-world-cup.html?_r=0

Anticipating questions about players’ workloads, Infantino repeatedly emphasized that, despite an increase in total games to 80 from 64, the tournament’s total length (32 days), the number of games played by the eventual winner (seven) and the number of stadiums (12) were the same for both the current and the expanded formats.

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

We use only the most cutting edge technology: stereo :P

Just saying most pods have the people coming through both sides so I can listen with one earphone in.  You guys and your damn cutting edge technology kept one in each side.  Curses foiled again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Rheo said:

Just saying most pods have the people coming through both sides so I can listen with one earphone in.  You guys and your damn cutting edge technology kept one in each side.  Curses foiled again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to divert the conversation, but that's actually a good piece of feedback, thanks :D

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

No way the city allows that to happen... that's quite the walk from the 506 Streetcar loop or High Park Subway Station.

For a temporary stadium, anywhere near Danforth or Bloor would be very smart and for the best

Long term permanent structure has to be the Portlands:

Today

201197-port-lands-current.jpg

Future: (Streetcars to the new subway line are planned for that area)

05.jpg

We've been over this: The Portlands are terrible for this

Just now, Complete Homer said:

One big relevant part of the WC news... 

USSF had apparently used their WC windfall money to subsidize MLS for a period. Maybe our share of 2026 could help support some ailing franchises if (hopefully *when*) the league makes it to 2026

If the CPL needs massive windfalls to keep its head above water in 2026, it probably won't last until 2026.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

That's generally how he works.

Tim Horton's field will probably be one of the better venues in the CPL.

No the best venue would be a spruced up Lamport, the pop up in Halifax, FCE stadium if they decide to go in, any stadium with 20000 seats like Hamilton's or Ottawa's or Regina's with only 5000 or less in it will look really empty trust me, I was a couple of games in Hamilton during the Pan Am games with less than 5000 in there at it was so empty it killed any sort of atmosphere.

33 minutes ago, 1996 said:

No the best venue would be a spruced up Lamport, the pop up in Halifax, FCE stadium if they decide to go in, any stadium with 20000 seats like Hamilton's or Ottawa's or Regina's with only 5000 or less in it will look really empty trust me, I was a couple of games in Hamilton during the Pan Am games with less than 5000 in there at it was so empty it killed any sort of atmosphere.

I think Halifax could be the best stadium if they do it right and I don't mean spend a lot of money. They just need to make sure the stands are close to the pitch and there is at least a stand behind one of the goals. 

Archived