Congrats to Cyle Larin on MLS Rookie Record

apbsmith

Wow...what a rookie season for Larin.

it will be interesting to see the transfer offers Orlando receives for Larin and whether they bite on any of them (especially given they have Rochez who can step in).

personally I hope larin stays in Orlando for another few years as it's the perfect situation for him, but the money being offered in Europe may be too tough to turn down 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's take a look at the names surrounding (and behind) Larin in the MLS top 10.

David Villa - Spain's all time top goal scorer.  That fact gets forgotten a lot.
Giovinco - I think he's been discussed around here?
Robbie Keane - Ireland's all time top goal scorer.  
Kei Kamara -  I keep thinking...if he gets another shot at Europe in a different capacity...maybe...
Chris Wondolowski - of all active MLS players, he is the top goal scorer
Bradley Wright-Phillips - pretty amazing story in his own right, top MLS goal scorer last season.
Obafemi Martins - Name brand and class, has won Seria A title with Inter
Fanendo Adi - they say his future is bright...he's 5 years older than Larin
Jozy Altidore - one of the top names on the US National team for years

That's some pretty heady company he's in right now. 

If they are dumb enough not to offer him a new contract then he should ask for a transfer, there is development and development, as I see it. It's like Camilo, but even more so. Would another year at Orlando benefit him? Sure, but so would playing starting late Jan to late May, 15 games for a team in Europe, like 2nd tier England or Germany, Spain.

He's at 210 thousand a year, so maybe it would be better to be developing elsewhere making double that. Let him learn to step up now instead of waiting. Unless of course Orlando offers him 350-400 thousand to stay.

Larin is tied with Robbie Keane and David Villa on 17 goals for the year. Think about that for a second.

Personally, I'd like to see Larin play at least one more year in Orlando before any potential move. He's starting every game right now and that's the important part in his development. The money in Europe is one thing, but if he does decide to leave he needs to make sure he signs somewhere where he is in a position to receive playing time. 

He's at 210 thousand a year, so maybe it would be better to be developing elsewhere making double that. Let him learn to step up now instead of waiting. Unless of course Orlando offers him 350-400 thousand to stay.

According to the MLS players union he's actually making 125 thousand with another 42 thousand coming from his signing bonus (I think that's how it works)  https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/September 15 2015 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

Hilarious that on Orlando City's twitter some moron commented after the game that Cyle Larin is "the worst forward in the world" and that he misses so many chances.  

Looking at the goal scorer list without PKs (and without counting PKs as shots):

Kamara 22 goals on 132 shots in 2671 minutes

Giovinco 19 goals on 171 shots in 2595 minutes

Larin 17 goals on 63 shots in 1816 minutes

Martins 14 goals on 38 shots in 1625 minutes

Keane 13 goals on 64 shots in 1879 minutes

Villa 11 goals on 128 shots in 2424 minutes

Looking at those numbers Larin, Keane and Martins stand out as the deadliest MLS finishers this season.  Not bad company for a rookie...

Larin is tied with Robbie Keane and David Villa on 17 goals for the year. Think about that for a second.

Personally, I'd like to see Larin play at least one more year in Orlando before any potential move. He's starting every game right now and that's the important part in his development. The money in Europe is one thing, but if he does decide to leave he needs to make sure he signs somewhere where he is in a position to receive playing time. 

According to the MLS players union he's actually making 125 thousand with another 42 thousand coming from his signing bonus (I think that's how it works)  https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/September 15 2015 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

I think I read 210 somewhere, like in an article, but can't be sure. Maybe it included bonuses for games played and goals? In any case that is a bit less than half what a decent 2nd tier striker would make in a top soccer nation.

I am assuming that people agree he is not yet ready to play regularly for a Celta Vigo or West Ham or Eintracht. But he could be interesting at a Zaragoza or Bolton.

As I see it, there is no point in asking a player like him to perform and help a team at top flight, not yet. I mean what is more or less a target striker in the middle, against experienced central defenders, he'd get so beat up and probably terribly frustrated. 

It would be great if Larin could spend another two seasons in MLS at least. If he can maintain this form over that time, I am very confident he can step into any league in the world and do well.

At that point, he would still only by 23 - young enough to be considered a smart investment, but proven enough that he would be expected to have an immediate impact.

Nothing is a guarantee, but another two seasons could see him amass a total of 90 appearances and 45 goals.

A striker with that record coming from MLS? Well, that's the type of striker you'd expect to move to a mid table team in a big five league, or a top team in Portugal, Netherlands, Turkey, Russia, Belgium, etc. 

Wherever he goes it should be to a team that sees him as their #9 and a guaranteed starter.  I'm sure he is going to cost quite a bit for whoever purchases him and that will most likely be the case.

For all we know though he may slump next year, lose his starting spot and score  5 goals.  He needs to continue to build.. starting with WCQ in November and hopefully a couple winter friendlies with Canada.  

Wherever he goes it should be to a team that sees him as their #9 and a guaranteed starter.  I'm sure he is going to cost quite a bit for whoever purchases him and that will most likely be the case.

For all we know though he may slump next year, lose his starting spot and score  5 goals.  He needs to continue to build.. starting with WCQ in November and hopefully a couple winter friendlies with Canada.  

A bit of conundrum. I think most Euro clubs will only willing to pay like 2 mil Euro max. MLS will probably want much higher. That will price out most Euro clubs that will want someone they see much more 'proven' at higher than 2 mil euro. 

I'd like to see Larin at Championship or Eredivisie level and move up there, but that's a really competitive level, and NA strikers rarely do well at Europe. 

A bit of conundrum. I think most Euro clubs will only willing to pay like 2 mil Euro max. MLS will probably want much higher. That will price out most Euro clubs that will want someone they see much more 'proven' at higher than 2 mil euro. 

I'd like to see Larin at Championship or Eredivisie level and move up there, but that's a really competitive level, and NA strikers rarely do well at Europe. 

Altidore did fantastic at AZ Alkmaar. He scored more than a goal a game for a few seasons. Perhaps Larin could replicate that in the future.

Altidore did fantastic at AZ Alkmaar. He scored more than a goal a game for a few seasons. Perhaps Larin could replicate that in the future.

Jozy has never scored a goal per game.  He had 15 goals in 34 games and 23 in 33.  38 goals in 67 games total at AZ, which is still really good.

I meant to say a goal every 2 games! A goal a game is an insane strike rate. My bad.

A goal in 2 games is worth millions. A goal a game is insane indeed. Ronaldo comes to mind with a whopping 324 goals in 310 games for Real Madrid. That's just not human. 

The comparisons to Kluivert by his former coach at Sigma and others seem completely incorrect IMO. They are not at all alike, not physically, not in their game. Not in their style. 

I can't judge the Benteke comparison. If all you see is that they are good and young and happen to be black, well then better just shut up about comparisons. 

What I have found is that his skill set is pretty balanced, he can do a lot of things, he is not just size, he has finishing, footwork, decent positional play, can play with his back to a defender, a very good mix. I am not sure about his speed, nor if he could play wide effectively. 

Who would you compare him with, in strict terms of skill set?

What I find the most amazing stat about Larin is his strike rate. 63 shots, 29 SOG for 17 goals with no PKs. Scoring on 27% of your shots is phenomenal.

Keane is the only person close to that but his has 4/4 in PKs added. Others over 20% are Feilhaber, Bruin & Finlay. Nice company.

The comparisons to Kluivert by his former coach at Sigma and others seem completely incorrect IMO. They are not at all alike, not physically, not in their game. Not in their style.

I can't judge the Benteke comparison. If all you see is that they are good and young and happen to be black, well then better just shut up about comparisons.

What I have found is that his skill set is pretty balanced, he can do a lot of things, he is not just size, he has finishing, footwork, decent positional play, can play with his back to a defender, a very good mix. I am not sure about his speed, nor if he could play wide effectively.

Who would you compare him with, in strict terms of skill set?

I think Benteke comparison is pretty decent, though obviously Larin doesn't have Benteke's quality (hopefully in future!) and that both Benteke and Larin needs service.

What I find the most amazing stat about Larin is his strike rate. 63 shots, 29 SOG for 17 goals with no PKs. Scoring on 27% of your shots is phenomenal.

Keane is the only person close to that but his has 4/4 in PKs added. Others over 20% are Feilhaber, Bruin & Finlay. Nice company.

Obafemi Martins has been the most clinical finisher in MLS this season if you're going off strike rate.  Not bad company at all.

Archived