Congrats to Cyle Larin on MLS Rookie Record

apbsmith

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Larin gets the season started off right with a goal and an assist in stoppage time. Orlando with two stoppage time goals to steal a 2-2 draw.

Larin also had a nifty back heel goal called off for offsides that was a debateable call.

Holy jeez i was watching the last 10 minutes of the game and stopped once stoppage time started. I honestly thought the game was over at 2 0.

Edit: He also won man of the match.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Larin gets the season started off right with a goal and an assist in stoppage time. Orlando with two stoppage time goals to steal a 2-2 draw.

Larin also had a nifty back heel goal called off for offsides that was a debateable call.

He also drew the foul in the first half that resulted in a Salt Lake player being sent off.

6 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Plus he hit one off the post, and was clearly fouled for a PK that wasn't given in the closing moments of the game.

Seems to be in great form. :)

Yeah, I have no idea how he didn't draw a PK. It was right in front of the ref too. Just awful.

Larin really is developing into one of the most lethal finishers in MLS. Great to see

What gets me about Larin is how quickly he receives and delivers a strong shot.  Last year he had a goal where he had the ball for what seemed like only 1 second before he slotted it in.  He's showing that if you can give him service he can finish better than almost anyone in MLS.

If he improves slightly and scores 15+ goals this year, I expect one of the bigger leagues in the world will come looking for him.  There's too much money for  guys who can finish that dangerously.

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

What gets me about Larin is how quickly he receives and delivers a strong shot.  Last year he had a goal where he had the ball for what seemed like only 1 second before he slotted it in.  He's showing that if you can give him service he can finish better than almost anyone in MLS.

If he improves slightly and scores 15+ goals this year, I expect one of the bigger leagues in the world will come looking for him.  There's too much money for  guys who can finish that dangerously.

Last year I saw a lot of criticism on Reddit about the holes in his game, but his insane release is rarely brought up. It's just not something North America has been good at producing, and it makes him dangerous. Even if we can't get him great service with a lot of time for a shot, you know with Larin that he's got a chance to pull off miracle rockets. We need that in a striker 

I just hope he stays healthy, I think he could be really special, especially being young enough to fix the holes he has

15 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I wonder what the sophomore scoring record is for previous rookies of the year. 

I was curious, so I looked it up. Here are each of the forwards who won rookie of the year, with their rookie goal total and sophomore goal total:

2001 Faria 8 goals -> 12 goals

2003 Ralph 11 goals -> 11 goals

2004 Dempsey 7 goals -> 10 goals

2011 Sapong 5 goals -> 9 goals

2014 Akindele 7 goals -> 5 goals

Not too many true sophomore slumps. Also demonstrates how far ahead Larin was above most rookie of the year winners

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I was curious, so I looked it up. Here are each of the forwards who won rookie of the year, with their rookie goal total and sophomore goal total:

Not too many true sophomore slumps. Also demonstrates how far ahead Larin was above most rookie of the year winners

Very interesting. Thanks.

Here's hoping Larin matches or does better than his last year's total. He's off to a roaring start that's for sure.

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Could not agree more. Both his goals this year his release is so quick, the one in the first game was such a crazy re-direct to pull off. On the MLS site Matt Doyle has been giving him a ton of props for how far his hold up game has come since he started in the league. If he can fight off defenders in a physical league and keep this scoring touch the sky is the limit.

35 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:
35 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I wonder where his career will top out at. Could he be better or even close to Dempsey?

29 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I should make it clear that Dempsey was listed as a midfielder in his rookie year. I don't know how he was used, but his totals would have been deflated if he was scoring from the wings or as an AM

Then again, scoring in 2004 MLS was a lot easier than 2015 MLS

Archived