Congrats to Cyle Larin on MLS Rookie Record

apbsmith

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good quote from the article Gian-Luca posted. Larin wasn't feeling well, yet still bagged a goal 7 minutes in. 

"I was feeling sick during the whole game,” he aid. “My stomach wasn't feeling right. I came on at the half, got hit in the hips and ... I don't know. I wasn't feeling good.”

Despite his illness, he once again found his tonic going up again NYCFC.

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

Orlando signed Brazilian international Julio Baptista today. I would assume that he wouldn't be starting over Larin given his current form.

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/03/23/orlando-city-sc-signs-brazilian-attacking-midfielderforward-j-lio-baptista

seeing that a bunch of orlando fans see this as cover for larin who will be missing matches for international duty

ps. FORMER Brazilian international

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

seeing that a bunch of orlando fans see this as cover for larin who will be missing matches for international duty

ps. FORMER Brazilian international

Baptista was never an up front striker, he was a strong dynamic second striker or mid, and probably would not compete with Larin up high. He could even complement him, moving around more, drawing out and beating up on defenders. And I suppose this takes a bit of the pressure off Kaká to be the one always making the finesse final pass, since Baptista was never a finesse player.

BTW that Orlando story is a bit silly, they talk about the Carranza trophy which is a pre-season tournament, so he was voted MVP for two matches in August? They also call him 34 when he's 35. He won't be able to play ever week don't think, he'll rest.

Baptista is one of the better singers and musicians from amongst the top Brazilian players.

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

With the hot streak Larin has been on, the only Brazilian he is worried about is Pele coming from the 60's in a time machine ala Marty Mcfly.

20 goals in 30 games. He's not even 21

I try not to overhype players, but if Larin stays healthy he's either destined for higher leagues or the becoming a member of the MLS pantheon that will be looked back on when the league is more legit

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Baptista was never an up front striker, he was a strong dynamic second striker or mid, and probably would not compete with Larin up high. He could even complement him, moving around more, drawing out and beating up on defenders. And I suppose this takes a bit of the pressure off Kaká to be the one always making the finesse final pass, since Baptista was never a finesse player.

BTW that Orlando story is a bit silly, they talk about the Carranza trophy which is a pre-season tournament, so he was voted MVP for two matches in August? They also call him 34 when he's 35. He won't be able to play ever week don't think, he'll rest.

Baptista is one of the better singers and musicians from amongst the top Brazilian players.

He is 34

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Right you are.

Was reading that Málaga was talking about bringing him back this January, sounds like he is still in shape his Brazil numbers are good.

I dunno 28 games and 9 goals from 2013-2015 doesn't seem that good. You'd at least like to have seen him play 60 games in that amount of time. 

9 hours ago, king1010 said:

I dunno 28 games and 9 goals from 2013-2015 doesn't seem that good. You'd at least like to have seen him play 60 games in that amount of time. 

Maybe you are right, not enough games, though that is just league, He did play Cup from what I see and in fact scored more goals. Still, important thing is that it does not appear like a lack of faith in Cyle.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe you are right, not enough games, though that is just league, He did play Cup from what I see and in fact scored more goals. Still, important thing is that it does not appear like a lack of faith in Cyle.

Agreed, it would appear they are hoping to protect him from feeling the burden of expectations if he experiences a dry spell. Plus considering "the beast"'s career, Larin can likely learn plenty from Baptista too. 

11 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

20 goals in 30 games. He's not even 21

I try not to overhype players, but if Larin stays healthy he's either destined for higher leagues or the becoming a member of the MLS pantheon that will be looked back on when the league is more legit

That's how I have been thinking as well.  I certainly don't want to curse the first bright light Canada has had up front in quite a while, but the omens are good at this point.  Hopefully he can just keep building on his strengths.

16 hours ago, king1010 said:

9 goals in 28 games still sounds like a pretty healthy strike rate. Just might not have the gas in the tank to play 90min every week for a whole season anymore.

I think if there's a coach in the world who would put a 34 yr old road block in front of his 20yr old 17 goals per years strike, he's an idiot, and exceptional short sighted.

I think Cyle will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

His play tonight was pretty bad. He wasn't even on an island. He had some looks but wow his decision making was a 180 from Orlando's. Dude's 21 so he is still learning but he was very disappointing tonight.

Archived