Congrats to Cyle Larin on MLS Rookie Record

apbsmith

In this article from March not one of the MLS site reporters picked Larin for the Rookie award, Chapman, Stolz and Shelton rated higher.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/03/05/mls-awards-pick-em-which-rookie-will-emerge-take-home-rookie-year

When Tesho won last year there was a lot less hype because his status was still unclear. The double rookie MVP sort of mirrors our recent NBA draft success...

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLS reporters are the most fickle bunch in the world.  For example, if they did the 24 under 24 when Larin was in form he would be top 5, easy.  How is Poku ahead of him?  He has just SIX starts this season?

I actually don't mind it because their constant under-concern for anything Canada, players, teams, takes the pressure off our clubs and players, it's okay to be outside the US hype machine. When Vancouver was high-flying they wrote little about us, and then, it seemed, begrudgingly.

Kurt Larson didn't even have Larin in his top 24 list. Gotta be trolling

Kurt Larson is an absolute clown.  It's a shame that an American fan boy gets print over people who could actually give an objective opinion on Canadian football.   I could live with it if he was fair but he so clearly hates Canadian football that it hurts.  It's a shame because our players really do need someone on their side to hype them up...  there is no way Yedlin would be at Tottenham without the help of hype.

Larin is the top scorer of Canadian/American players in MLS at 20 years old and with less games played than the guys around him... and on a team with fewer points than his competitors.  

MLSsoccer.com is hyping him up but make no mistake, if Larin was American there would be an absolute explosion.  Remember the hype that average Yedlin got?  Multiply that by 10.  If you believe MLSsoccer.com Altidore is a world class striker... read the comments and they are more accurate to be completely honest... many comments say that Larin is better than Altidore already.  I don't want to be a homer but it's a hard point to argue against considering 2015... Larin has scored from everywhere but the penalty spot with every part of his body.  I can't think of one facet of Altidore's game that is better than Larin to be completely honest... MAYBE off the ball but even that is questionable.  

At the same time, it is only to Yedlin's detriment that he moved to Spurs. He'll be lucky to get minutes even at lowly Sunderland and would be better served back at Seattle. 

So in that respect, I am quite happy with our players flying under the radar. Larin needs more time in MLS and like you said, had he been American there'd be serious talk about him moving to the EPL or elsewhere and that would be a mistake in the mold of Altidore 's transfer to Villarreal or Adu to Benfica.

Another guy who would get far more hype if he was American is Osorio. I have read more than one comment from USMNT supporters wishing he was American. Like us, they have a lack of creative players and they've really noticed his exploits (likely due to the attention TFC gets now with Bradley, Altidore and Giovinco). Anyways, Osorio is another guy that, while talented, should hold off on Europe. There is no rush - although perhaps there would be if the US hype machine was in motion.

Read today that Miazga is destined for Europe in 2016. That is laughable. If Larin didn't obliterate the rookie scoring record I bet they'd unanimously call for Miazga to win ROTY! Then, they'll clamor for him to join Spurs - so he can bounce around on loan like his mate DeAndre!

The MLS hype machine is crazy, for awhile it seemed like they were giving all the credit for Larins success to KAKA.  For me this just highlights the stupidity of the double standard domestic rule.  A canadian has to be a comeplete stud like Larin to get a shot south of the border.  Other guys are stuck on cdn clubs and maybe not developing like they should, and more free movement might allow them to go south and get more playing time/opportunities.  Tiebert and Morgan come to mind.  Rant over, hope Larin pots a couple vs honduras and scores 20 next year in MLS.  

Read today that Miazga is destined for Europe in 2016. That is laughable. If Larin didn't obliterate the rookie scoring record I bet they'd unanimously call for Miazga to win ROTY! Then, they'll clamor for him to join Spurs - so he can bounce around on loan like his mate DeAndre!

Miazga isn't a rookie so he can't win it.

The MLS hype machine is crazy, for awhile it seemed like they were giving all the credit for Larins success to KAKA.  For me this just highlights the stupidity of the double standard domestic rule.  A canadian has to be a comeplete stud like Larin to get a shot south of the border.  Other guys are stuck on cdn clubs and maybe not developing like they should, and more free movement might allow them to go south and get more playing time/opportunities.  Tiebert and Morgan come to mind.  Rant over, hope Larin pots a couple vs honduras and scores 20 next year in MLS.  

Although I agree with your overall opinion. I am not sure that Larin made it down in Orlando simply because he is a stud. I think he made it down in Orlando because he is a stud who found himself in the right place at the right time. 

Conversely, Hamilton is in the exact opposite position. He is buried deep down in the striker pool at TFC. It is true he never took his chance in Portugal, it is true he never took his chance in the USL, but even if he had and scored a ton of goals - he would never win a starting spot as long as Giovinco and Altidore are healthy.

So, while I agree our players need equal access and treatment, I think we should also acknowledge the luck that was on Larin's side here.

Sometimes, being a stud is not enough.

Although I agree with your overall opinion. I am not sure that Larin made it down in Orlando simply because he is a stud. I think he made it down in Orlando because he is a stud who found himself in the right place at the right time. 

Conversely, Hamilton is in the exact opposite position. He is buried deep down in the striker pool at TFC. It is true he never took his chance in Portugal, it is true he never took his chance in the USL, but even if he had and scored a ton of goals - he would never win a starting spot as long as Giovinco and Altidore are healthy.

So, while I agree our players need equal access and treatment, I think we should also acknowledge the luck that was on Larin's side here.

Sometimes, being a stud is not enough.

Luck is always an important factor in any professional career, especially as an athlete however at some point you do have to take your chances. If Hamilton had put 15 up in USL this year, there is no doubt he'd be the 3rd forward going into next year for TFC

Luck is always an important factor in any professional career, especially as an athlete however at some point you do have to take your chances. If Hamilton had put 15 up in USL this year, there is no doubt he'd be the 3rd forward going into next year for TFC

Very good point.

Thing is, what should Orlando's aim be next year? It's obvious, compete better. Make the playoffs. And that is a team that needs defending, teamwork, a bit of midfield control. Pretty well from Kaká back to the goal, I don't think they'll touch the attack, as Rochez is also a promising player, young too. I am not sure who they'll change, but a few players for sure from the midfield back.

Add all that up, and Larin will score less,  because it will be enough to get one goal to win or draw, where now they seem to need three.

As I see it, for him to score more than 12  next year would be fine, it would be a confirmation of his talent and his future. It would also, unfortunately, reduce his offers for a strong contract in Europe.

Obafemi Martins has been the most clinical finisher in MLS this season if you're going off strike rate.  Not bad company at all.

Oh yea, 15 goals in 41 shots for a 37% average for Martins, Altidore with 12 in 34 (35%). Lloyd Sam (10 in 32 for 31%) How did I miss those 3?

Anyway being in the same group as Keene and behind only Martins, Altidore & Sam and ahead of Feilhaber, Bruin & Finlay is very sweet.

Here is hoping his second season is more productive than his first.

Larin has done great but as many OCSC supporters have pointed out, he has a lot to learn. We've seen how poor he can be with Canada. The man, when getting no service becomes invisible and is barely involved in building an attack. He needs to get better at off the ball movement, but once that happens he'll have all the tools.

Larin has done great but as many OCSC supporters have pointed out, he has a lot to learn. We've seen how poor he can be with Canada. The man, when getting no service becomes invisible and is barely involved in building an attack. He needs to get better at off the ball movement, but once that happens he'll have all the tools.

He definitely has a lot to learn but I think a lot of OCSC fans are way too harsh about what he does. He's a big solid finisher who makes a lot of intelligent runs in the box, he has the hold up skills but doesn't use them too efficiently and needs to keep his head up more when he's outside the box. With his size and finishing abilities as well as his strong shooting, he can go a long way even without developing anything beyond slightly stronger hold up skills.

One of the main criticisms I see is that he has 0 assists which is incredibly unfair as he has set up some fantastic chances, I remember one where he put Riberio in alone and he completely shanked the ball well wide.

Talking about it from Canada's perspective, it's important that he learn the other skills but what the team needs and has needed for years is a finisher, and he is very much that.

He definitely has a lot to learn but I think a lot of OCSC fans are way too harsh about what he does. He's a big solid finisher who makes a lot of intelligent runs in the box, he has the hold up skills but doesn't use them too efficiently and needs to keep his head up more when he's outside the box. With his size and finishing abilities as well as his strong shooting, he can go a long way even without developing anything beyond slightly stronger hold up skills.

One of the main criticisms I see is that he has 0 assists which is incredibly unfair as he has set up some fantastic chances, I remember one where he put Riberio in alone and he completely shanked the ball well wide.

Talking about it from Canada's perspective, it's important that he learn the other skills but what the team needs and has needed for years is a finisher, and he is very much that.

In these recent games for Canada though he has been dire. It's a vicious cycle with our midfield (cough no Osorio cough) being unable to create chances and Larin being unable to make his own chances.

That's just plain wrong.  The own goal against Chicago that should have been his goal should be credited as his assist and I know for a fact he won a penalty as well that was converted by Kaka which should count as an assist.  It's so odd that MLS can award secondary assists on goals but miss simple stats like that.

Also agree that (some) OCSC fans are way too harsh on him.  Saying he misses easy chances... come on, he's a striker it happens but look at the  bigger picture and stats don't lie.  

The situation Larin is in has definately been a good fit and helped with his development.  And we all know that some players just dont fit a system and wont work out no matter how good they are, and they'll be sucessful elsewhere.  Sometimes it just luck where you end up.  I was thinking if there was more teams willing to look at a Hamilton/Morgan/Bekker/Tiebert/Alderson/Saiko etc maybe those guys would be able to find better situations that played to their strengths. Domestic equality might give those guys more options to find the good fits for them that might be in MLS.  

As for Larin, watch his highlight reel again, he takes some very innocent passes and with his quick release makes his own chance.  Where others might take a touch or two and never get settled, and never get off a shot.  His shot is in back of net before keeper gets set.  That may not really be creating a chance, but he can make a goal out of very little.  And he is a striker, his main job is to finish.  I wouldn't complain too much about a early 20's striker who bags over a dozen goals with no assists.  Do your main job first, the rest will come with a little more seasoning.  

That's just plain wrong.  The own goal against Chicago that should have been his goal should be credited as his assist and I know for a fact he won a penalty as well that was converted by Kaka which should count as an assist.  It's so odd that MLS can award secondary assists on goals but miss simple stats like that.

Also agree that (some) OCSC fans are way too harsh on him.  Saying he misses easy chances... come on, he's a striker it happens but look at the  bigger picture and stats don't lie.  

It is weird in a sport where you have such a nebulous stat in key passes, that they don't have a penalty kick's drawn stat as well as an own goal forced stat.

I disagree with whoever said Larin's movement needs work. Well, yes everything needs work, you don't stop working on improving, but what I mean is that his movement off the ball is actually a strength of his, not a weakness.

If you watch him closely in the moments before a cross comes in, he does a great job of changing his run to elude defenders. He is very purposeful when he does this. It is not random. He is intentionally getting into a defenders blind spot and finding those pockets, and his timing is outstanding for a young MLS striker. That is why he is often so open when those crosses come in. It is not by accident.

In fact, both Larin and Heath (his coach) have went on record saying they intentionally work on these movements. Heath is a former striker and former English international I believe. He gets a lot of credit for teaching Larin and Larin gets a lot of credit for learning and implementing what he has been tough. Heath has also said there is much more for him to learn, so he really should continue his education in Orlando.

One thing he does need serious work on though is his first touch with his back to goal. When he is facing goal, his first touch is more consistent, but during hold up play it can be quite wild - like passing a ball to a brick wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived