Caps vs Olimpia (R)

1-0 win for the Caps. Sam & Kianz going the full 90 and Marco Bustos coming on for the last 25. Sam did not look rusty so that bodes well for him. Kianz got the loan goal on a scramble in the box. His shot hit the keeper's hand at ground level and bounced up and over the defenders into the goal. Hey, they all count  :)

Considering that it was only Laba and Waston who are regular first team starters I thought we looked very good. A lot better than the first game against Seattle.

Kianz played 3 different positions and was the best of the 3 Canadians and Sam was showing why he is fighting for the LB starting position with his change of pace moves and very crisp passes. Bustos had a shot but put it wide and was active and okay.

Game wasn't bad. Earnshaw got on my nerves a little. Seems all he wanted to do was showboating. Doubt they re-sign him next year.

Schaad and other local media, speculated that Earnshaw was maybe coming back as an assistant coach to Robbo's team next year after he retires this season. He has valuable experience to pass on and Robbo would be delighted to have him on his team.

Tiebreakers
The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss). If tied on points, tiebreakers are applied in the following order (Regulations Page 8, Tie-Breaker Procedures):

Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned;
Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned;
Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned;
Greater goal difference in all group matches;
Greater number of goals scored in group matches;
Greater number of goals scored away in all group matches;
Drawing of lots.

Tiebreakers
The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss). If tied on points, tiebreakers are applied in the following order (Regulations Page 8, Tie-Breaker Procedures):

Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned;
Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned;
Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned;
Greater goal difference in all group matches;
Greater number of goals scored in group matches;
Greater number of goals scored away in all group matches;
Drawing of lots.

Okay, my bad, did not calculate right. We need a result next week in Seattle.

• 1 month later...

Can't they apply for some type of exemption to the rule stating they all have to be under pro contracts? Or sign the kids to some short term deal? This just seems like putting even more players at risk of injury. 

According to AFTN, they tried, but not allowed.

Caps petitioned to be able to use USL and Residency guys because of injuries but they weren't allowed to, so will travel short handed.

I don't see the big deal here.

Great experience for Bustos, Froese and Sam.

It is a great experience for them but anyone can see how this isn't a positive for a depleted squad that has a key match this weekend.  You're going to have multiple players playing 90 in central america in a meaningless match and again the weekend when otherwise you would want to use back ups for this one.

It would be a win-win for the Caps if they could use some USL pro players down there to get them game experience and save their starters for decision day.

Geesh, what is the big deal.  No one seemed to care that Cuba only had 1 sub against canada in U23.  Where are all the guys who said its no big deal to have no subs, a depleted and tired squad? It shouldn't make a difference.   

Good one. I was not one who said it wouldn't be a big deal. It is. Let's just hope we make it through without any injuries and hopefully Clarke will be ready by Thursday (doubtful). It will be a great experience for all the players especially those who will be down there in the future with our MNT.

Too bad the match wasn't as good as the stream which in itself was like the opposite of the Ghana MNT match.

At one point the commentators were going on at length about how isolated Earnshaw was for the night and how there was just such little link-up play with the midfielders that it was like we were playing wit nine men.

Sam, for me, has looked so fragile and much less effective since his injury. I wonder if it's confidence or if he will turn out to be a bit of a lame-duck in the long run. Froese was mediocre, I thought, after a string of (mostly) decent performances for club and country. Bustos made one nice play that I really noticed (a nice fake/ cut out and then a shot that went well wide) but, as many have pointed out, doesn't seem to have the size nor hustle to play well without a lot more support around him (and others doing the dirty work). Teibert worked hard as usual but had a mixed game as well as the captain.

Archived