Caps vs Olimpia (R)

Well a relevant number of the Honduran MNT play for Olimpia; as a Voyageur first and foremost I hope our Canadian boys learned more about them then they did about us because the result was not in our favour and the Whitecaps play was not good tonight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_football_team

Outside of the goalies, few if any of the Olimpia outfield players will be on the field in 3 weeks - and if they are it's good news for us. 

Sam is going to have to write this year off, hit the gym, and come back strong next year to get that starting spot from Jordan Harvey again. Marco and Kianz probably need another year at USL level. Russell Teibert has evolved into a fairly highly-paid utility bench player, I'm not sure if this is where he or the Whitecaps saw his career ending up.

I only caught the second half but I thought Froese was ok, worked hard etc.  But Bustos was inviseable.  I didn't think he was on as I didn't catch his name from the announcers until he had his well wide shot.  I am not sure what Tiebert could have done out there to spice things up, but it does seem like he has hit his ceiling.  Doesn't seem to be as effective playmaker as a few years ago.  Big heart and always giving 100% (unlike some), not sure what he need to get back on track.

Teibert is probably a wing player in a 4-4-2 setup, he would look good in Toronto in Delgado's spot. He doesn't have a true position in the 4-2-3-1 of Vancouver, he's not a pure destroyer or a box-to-box player nor is he enough of an offensive threat to play at the #10 or as one of the attacking wingers.

The attacking instincts I saw in RT when he made his MLS debut are now a distant memory. Sad to see his creative ability suppressed.

The good is that he has further improved his technical ability, which was already strong. The downside is that he doesn't have the physicality to excel in the role he plays.

Good enough to be a useful, technical, utility player; but hardly good enough to be an MLS All-star - let alone a regular in a top European side.

Nonetheless, I hope he continues to get playing time in Vancouver, whether it be in league or cup competition.

Archived