Bekker traded to montreal

Free kick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for him, hate to see any CDN prospect go down the tubes without a fight.  Maybe if he shows something these last few games he might be able to parley it into a job for next year.  And maybe this will give him the confidence he needs next time he gets called up to CMNT.  

That's bad.

I think the Kyle Bekker we are seeing tonight is the potential that Floro sees. Hence his call-ups. Congrats to Bekker. Deserved goal.

His "positioning has been good ¿No?" (as Floro would say). :P

Yeah don't get me wrong I was excited and I thought he looked good tonight. Just couldn't help laughing at the irony of him scoring after all the flack he's been getting.

The real question now becomes does TFC get beat in the east by Montreal? I still think they both make the playoffs but that battle for 5th/6th is looking like it could all come down to the last game of the season.

37 points for TFC after 28 games played & 33 for Montreal after 26 games played.

Did Montreal start a lot of their 12-22 players tonight? I am not that familiar with who their starting 11 are or who is injured.

The real question now becomes does TFC get beat in the east by Montreal? I still think they both make the playoffs but that battle for 5th/6th is looking like it could all come down to the last game of the season.

37 points for TFC after 28 games played & 33 for Montreal after 26 games played.

Did Montreal start a lot of their 12-22 players tonight? I am not that familiar with who their starting 11 are or who is injured.

Yes only 2 legit starters I would say.

Kyle BEKKER GOOOOOOAAALLLL! Tied with Osorio for goals in MLS ;) I wonder if he'll get selected with that golaso Benito Special!

Don't mind me with the Osorio reference. Just want to poke fun at Molinaro's points for criticizing Bek's last call up while "Osrio" (as was mentioned in the headline ) was not and he played more games and had 1 goal! ;)

The goal aside that was a good performance by Bekker last night.  If he can maintain that concentration/intensity he will be a good player in MLS.  I'm not holding my breath though, he had no choice but to put in a good performance let's see if he can build on it or if he'll fall back to old habits. 

Don't mind me with the Osorio reference. Just want to poke fun at Molinaro's points for criticizing Bek's last call up while "Osrio" (as was mentioned in the headline ) was not and he played more games and had 1 goal! ;)

Exactly, Molinaro muckraking inspired by the TFC naysayers, brown nosing for Osorio, slagging Bekker shamelessly. Then we had to hear about poor Molinaro, a defenseless wordsmith, was being burnt at the stake by certain inquisitional readers.

Scoring goals means nothing for me, honestly. I would like to know what Bekker played like and how he played, exactly what he did that might correspond to what Benito sees (which is not to exaggerate the coach's favour, since Bekker did not even see the pitch in 180 m vs. Belize)

The goal aside that was a good performance by Bekker last night.  If he can maintain that concentration/intensity he will be a good player in MLS.  I'm not holding my breath though, he had no choice but to put in a good performance let's see if he can build on it or if he'll fall back to old habits. 

FWIW his whoscored rating was the highest on the Impact at 7.5. I checked at half time before the goal and it was the highest then too but can't remember what exactly. 

FWIW his whoscored rating was the highest on the Impact at 7.5. I checked at half time before the goal and it was the highest then too but can't remember what exactly. 

If he can replicate that performance for Canada people are going to be happy.  His passing was excellent last night, very composed and his thinking was a step ahead.  Very good at releasing the ball quickly/accurately with both feet and making himself available.  Two touch composed football, that's exactly what Benito wants from him.  Wish Michael Bradley could try that once... sorry couldn't resist.  

I thought he had a very strong match even ignoring the goal. Maybe he realized this is his last shot at MLS and worked on his deficiencies. For a guy always criticized for not defending he seemed really willing to get stuck in and even use his body physically. Also when he was at TFC he never seemed to know where to be on the pitch but he was well positioned all of the game last night. On the negative side he did snuff out a couple of good attacks by ill advised long range shots but then again he ended up scoring on his 3rd long range shot. He is still far from being a starter on the Impact with the full 1st team playing but if he can put together a few more performances like that he should earn at least another year on his contract as a good depth player/sub with some potential for more.

Patrick Leduc gave him 7.5 in his player ratings, the highest on the team:

Kyle Bekker: 7,5/10 Héros inattendu. Outre son but sur une frappe qui surprend le gardien des Quakes, il montre de jolies touches et effectue plusieurs passes bien dosées. Met en vitrine les qualités qu’on avait jadis vues en lui au Toronto FC. Souhaitons que ça puisse durer. 

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/bulletin-des-joueurs-1.2590416

Missed the game, but just watched highlights of the goal. A bit lucky on the bounce for sure. But Beks has hit 'em way sweeter and they haven't gone in. A free kick for the CMNT comes to mind.

Glad to finally see him pot one. And in his first Montreal start!! Should be good enough for a couple more starts this season, at least!

Sounds like he's be just behind JDG and Piette for Canada, unless you think he is a more forward player. Teibert could also play there? Just to get an idea: he does not sound like a defensive mid nor a wide player. Where would he play for Canada?

From what I recall having seen him two years ago, he was unsure positionally, covered too little ground, imposed himself little physically, reacted slowly defensively--but did have good touches with the ball. If all of those have seen improvements then good for him, but he still does not sound like a MNT starter or even close. 

I liked what I saw from Bekker. I think that he could have passed Mallace with that game. It will be interesting who starts against New England on Saturday. I expect Donadel to start, but I do think that Bekker played well because the team played a 4-1-4-1 which suits Bekker more than the 4-2-3-1 that the Impact usually plays.

From what I recall having seen him two years ago, he was unsure positionally, covered too little ground, imposed himself little physically, reacted slowly defensively--but did have good touches with the ball. If all of those have seen improvements then good for him, but he still does not sound like a MNT starter or even close. 

Bekker does not impose himself physically on defence but this does not mean he plays defence poorly. He hustles off the ball to get into the right formation so the ball tends to move away from him because he is in the right position. This is why he is teachers pet to his coaches.

He is similar on offence. He is in good positions to receive the pass and generally receives the ball and passes it to the next player. He generally does not make dangerous probing passes and when he has in the past he has made some mistakes.

Archived