Bekker traded to montreal

Free kick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bekker had a good night in 62 minutes as the defensive midfielder.  He was the primary distributor and was active defensively.  He was 38/43- 88% on passes and took every corner kicks while he was out there, including 3 really good ones.  He linked well with Reo-Coker and in general looked like a competent central midfielder.

Bernier came in for the last 28 minutes and by comparison was 8/13 but did have the assist on the game winning goal.   Happy Birthday to Bernier.

BTW- Montreal had a 62.1% possession rate while Bekker was in and a 45.1% possession rate after they pulled him.  While he didn't make the daring and flashy play that Bernier did in the assist he did a much better job of screening and giving outlets for the entire backline and making the smart passes to keep the ball.   The difference is very tangible when he left the game.

A bit lucky your keeper didn't get called. I thought he missed the ball but I can't see from the replay they are showing on MLS. I love the whining on Drogba's goal. They are holding and wrestling with him and then complain when he throws them to the ground and scores? You want to wrestle with "the beast" go right ahead but save the complaints when he wins the duel!

Nice to see Bernier get the assist on the second goal. Well played and finished. It keeps your game in hand advantage over the teams around you. Keep it going.

On 5th watch it does look like he gets the ball just barely.

Just watched the match on PVR.  I was impressed with Kyle.  Workrate was really high.  His head was up on offense and defense always moving and looking for a better position, and switching the play up quickly and accurately.  Might have covered the most ground of all the Impact in his 62 minutes.  Not quite a Teibert but better.

But watching him, his head was on a swivel checking for where he needs to be, making triangles on offense and getting in the triangle path on defense, marking tight in the middle of the pitch.  A little worried on his effectiveness once it gets into the defensive third.  

Probably the best part though was that he was very offensively aware knowing where everyone on the pitch was, so that when he received the ball, it seemed like it left his foot accurately to the next man within 2 seconds every time.  That's not rare for a Canadian player, but if he can learn to do that under the pressure that Central American defenses offer, that COULD become valuable to CMNT.  

One thing I want to see is more creative flair.  So Canadian.  You can do 100 passes but if not one is a "dangerous" pass or whatever, even from a defensive mid position, the offense stagnates.  

We still need ideas lol

Anyone get the impression that somehow, this thread is responsible for getting Kyle on the right track?

Seriously, rarely have we analyzed a player so fully, or examined every aspect of his play with such detail every outing.

Either he is responding to Floro's confidence, to being slighted by Molinaro and others, to his being traded and not wanting to have to change clubs again. Or maybe a combination of all three. Maybe he has been given a vote of confidence by Biello, which would be great too.

Or maybe he's been reading this thread and has decided to prove us wrong. 

Tuned in just as Bernier came on, so missed it unfortunatetly, but happy to read he had another strong game. Hope that it continues and that he finishes the season strong. 

Congrats on the assist to Bernier as well.

If things keep going this way, all three of our teams will make the playoffs! How epic would it be for the Impact and TFC to meet in the conference semi-final or (preferably) final??

Did not watch the game, did Adekugbe have a bad game?

He was being played at left mid and I'll write it off to being rusty after such a long injury layoff. To me he and Kianz didn't look bad but not good either. Teibert was very disappointing when he came on. Not a good night for any of the 4 Canadians who made the field.

Did not watch the game, did Adekugbe have a bad game?

For a left mid he did his role defensively and that, just too many giveaways and loose touches for that position.  Sort of looked out of place always pushed out wide, and very left footed.  If he is going to continue to see minutes in that role he'll need to be a little less shaky in possession, make some better choices, etc.  At one point Earnshaw was visibly frustrated with Adekugbe's decision making.  

Needs to learn to cut in to the middle at times so that he is harder to defend.

That said, it's all fixable, and I've seen him do better things in that role before.  Just a bad outing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Ashtone Morgan, ugh...

Why are these guys so one-footed? It is easy for me to say but shouldn't these professionals be more comfortable with both feet?

Tell that to Xavi Hernandez (totally right footed) and Messi (almost as bad left side). In 10 years of watching Barcelona play with Xavi at the helm I think I saw him kick the ball with his left foot 3 times.

He actually turned it into an asset. He got so good at doing a very tight turn with the ball on his right foot and passing when he saw an open player that his 270 degree turns got near impossible to mark. Inside or outside of the foot didn't seem to matter so he could turn either way.

So why has Bekker been dropped completely now?  From what I'd seen he was doing well.  What has Eric Alexander done this season to have a spot ahead of him?  Honestly haven't seen much of Alexander this year.  I can the starting 3 but I would have thought that Bekker earned first choice off the bench.  

Tell that to Xavi Hernandez (totally right footed) and Messi (almost as bad left side). In 10 years of watching Barcelona play with Xavi at the helm I think I saw him kick the ball with his left foot 3 times.

He actually turned it into an asset. He got so good at doing a very tight turn with the ball on his right foot and passing when he saw an open player that his 270 degree turns got near impossible to mark. Inside or outside of the foot didn't seem to matter so he could turn either way.

Xavi has a lot more of a left foot than Maradona had a right, for example. But the description is good, very nice, I know what you are saying. Not so for Messi, in his career he has scored 15% of his goals with his right foot, and constantly makes incredible plays with it.

A great sign of a player, especially attacking, who has only one foot, is when he's on the opposite wing and crosses with a "rabona", a crossed-kick, centering with the left when on the right. Rivaldo did this a lot, he was a master. Maradona did too, totally cool doing it. 

It'd be interesting to hear of players who have successfuly done free kicks on goal or penalties with both feet.

Xavi has a lot more of a left foot than Maradona had a right, for example. But the description is good, very nice, I know what you are saying. Not so for Messi, in his career he has scored 15% of his goals with his right foot, and constantly makes incredible plays with it.

A great sign of a player, especially attacking, who has only one foot, is when he's on the opposite wing and crosses with a "rabona", a crossed-kick, centering with the left when on the right. Rivaldo did this a lot, he was a master. Maradona did too, totally cool doing it. 

It'd be interesting to hear of players who have successfuly done free kicks on goal or penalties with both feet.

I would imagine if they spent as much time as practicing with their wrong foot as they did perfecting a "rabona", the rabona would be unnecessary.  :)

Archived