Bekker traded to montreal

Free kick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another very impressive showing from Bekker as a sub with us down a man. What is impressive is he is playing very well defensively and doing a good job as a destroyer and getting physically involved defending. Not sure if it is our coaching staff or if he has just realized himself what his deficiencies are and is working on correcting them but he is playing himself at least into a B starter/1st choice sub role and is starting to justify Floro's faith in him. He always had skills going forward but if he can round out his play with defensive skill he may develop into a good player yet.

Hmmmmm! Is Biello a genius? With the red card to Donadel, will Bekker get more time? Two big games this week, so I assume there will be more playing time for B players. Now if only Bernier could get back in action and prove Klopas wrong...

people who thought Bekker hadn't evolved as a player didn't watch him in Dallas, I'd blame Nelsen for wasting two years of his pro career and I'm of the opinion that he has a decent career ahead of him in MLS if he keeps getting better.

I watched him at Dallas and he was no better than he was at TFC honestly, that's why he was traded to Montreal for peanuts.  His game against SJ was his best in MLS and his one good game for Dallas was when he came on as a sub against Montreal.  

Keegan, I would say he was no worse at FCD than he was at TFC. Honestly, he was never that bad, it's just that he hasn't quit lived up to the expectations that come with being the 3rd overall pick in the 1st round.

Being drafted so high was always going to set him up for a tough go of it. I bet if he went second round or came through an MLS acadamy we'd be calling his career a success and not a failure so far.

I always think of Matt Stinson, who managed 17 league appearances for TFC as a HGP and came through with Morgan and Henry. Sadly he never made it in MLS but at the time we were happy as Stinson was beginning to get CMNT looks and was on the path to give us some decent midfield depth - much like is Bekker at present.

I wonder how much hate Stinson would have received had it beem him who was drafted 3rd overall. Like Bekker, he wouldn't have won many over by only logging 17 league appearnaces over a season or two.

From what I have seen of Bekker I would summarize things like this:

At TFC: had some offensive skill but often looked lost on the field, out of position and not involved in play

FCD: looked better positionally and at times organized their attack but did not make a lot of effort defending. Would have a good sub appearance when they needed a goal but then get the next start as a reward and disappoint with his overall play

In 1 game and a 20 minute sub experience with Montreal: well positioned, a goal and a lot of effort defending and destroyed a lot of opposition attacks against pretty good opposition

We should not over or underestimate the 110 minutes of good play. I think it shows Bekker has it in him to be a good all round player and improve his game and justifies somewhat Floro's faith in him. On the other hand it remains to be seen whether he is able to do this on a consistent basis and whether he has the mentality to achieve his potential. At any rate while not going overboard with enthusiasm a good 110 minute appearance with a game tying goal and good defending is better than a weak 110 minute appearance that would have resulted in everyone saying he was finished in MLS/national team.

Jpg75, you are missing the point. The expectations placed on Bekker are far greater than they were on Stinson. That's one reason why there is such a negativity towards him - it's unfortunate really. I just wanted to point that out.

I completely disagree. I can't speak for others, but for me the negativity towards Bekker has more to do with his lack of effort (and lack of toughness to a lesser degree) than him being a high pick. Drafting in MLS is highly imprecise so i don't place much emphasis on it.

You completely disagree that one reason he's regarded as a disappointment is because he entered the league with big expectations (particularly north of the border)?

I'm not saying it's the main reason, or even the primary reason, but I will say it's hard to imagine that expectations don't play a role. That goes for anyone, not just him. How can we determine if anyone is a success or disappointment without using expectation as the context for forming an opinion?

For example, you mention his lack of effort and we know the majority of people out there who don't rate Bekker would also cite this as a major flaw in his game. However, it should also be mentioned that he's not the only player in the league with a reputation of having a poor work rate. Yet, each one of these players is considered a success, a failure or somewhere inbetween. And what determines this consideration? Expectation of course. Work rate clearly has little to do with it when you view it in this way.

In actuality, if Bekker was not expected to make the MLS squad, we'd call his 39 league apperances over 2 and a half seasons a success, wouldn't we? Regardless of whatever deficiancy he has, defensive or otherwise, you'd view him as a pleasent surprise, wouldn't you? Dare I say you wouldn't look at him as a negative, but a positive?

This is why it's always important to consider expectations when examining a player. We fans can become quite illogical sometimes in our player evaluations.

I think some of you may be mixing up "expectations" and "potential".  If Messi was to sign with TFC, appear in 90 games over 3 season, and score only 10 goals, his signing would be considered a failure on the pitch because he didn't meet "expectations".

While draft picks do come with expectations, they also come with potential.  Bekker obviously had potential to become a solid MLS professional, or teams wouldn't have projected him as a first round player.  However, at this point in his career, this potential has never come to fruition (be it because of the teams he was on or because of his own actions).

And that may be why so many people are disappointed.  They see the potential for a contributor to the Canadian national team, but up until now, we haven't seen that potential become a reality.

Ok, if you are looking at his club career and why he gets shit on by TFC fans then yes the expectations come into play. What i'm hinting at with my Stinson comment is that anyone who gets the playing time Bekker has with the MNT without really earning it relative to his club form is due for some flack from supporters. I look at Bekker with Canada goggles on and i don't think 3rd overall pick, i see the next Geoff Aunger, a pretty boy with skills who does a whole lot of nothing out there.

I thought Bekker played quite well when he was paired up with Bradley early last year, and IIRC it was the most successfully central mid pairing the club had in terms of winning percentage. I haven't seen much from him in a national team game, minus the corner kick that led to Haber's goal against Guatemala in March.

At this point, he's serviceable as a fringe player but not much more. When our best squad is called, he's either nor getting called or not getting minutes. For friendlies or camp poutines, he'll be there. I would love to see him succeed with the Impact, but his short career has shown that he most likely will not succeed at the MLS level. If he does play well for the rest of 2015, then good on him and let's see him back with the Impact in 2016.

@ AvrArrow

Good post. It is true that potential and expectations are two different things. It is also true that expectations and potential were/are both high for Bekker. In fact, I would even say that although the expectations placed on him were high, they weren't exactly out of touch with his potential. I still think Bekker can build himself a nice career.

However, the general concensus out there is that he is a garbage player and people are sick of seeing him. Giving him "flack" would be an understatement and only Ricketts get hated on as much as Bekker. Again, that has a lot to do with the potential we see in Ricketts - he's so fast and can get into good positions but his footwork or touch often let him down.

For our sake, i'd like to see both players resolve their issues. If both of these guys can clean it up, it would be a big boost for us.

Of course then we'd need a new whipping boy. Who's on deck?

Thing is, I would be happy for Bekker to solve some of his weaknesses, but for his sake, not ours. I don't think he is a player to start for Canada, when I saw him two years ago vs. Mexico he had a few little moments, a free kick we got a chance off, and some passes, but was frustrating as hell. It was not so much defending as simply going for it, even his pace was lackluster, and I usually don't even care about pace. To go from that, or what people are talking about, to being a player to start for Canada is a stretch. I am pretty sure he is not even a second choice in his position. He's in our pool of 28-30, about it.

I mean, let him prove us wrong, I'd be glad for him. I'd love to see him have a good end of season, Mtl make the playoffs, Bekker deserving another year in MLS. But he'd have to go through a huge transformation for me to put him ahead of other mids with more talent, upside, vision. 

To put expectations into context, look at Randy Edwini-Bonsu. That guy was rocking it with VWFC residency and played in an NASL as a teen. I expected him to play in Bundesliga someday and he hasn't lived up to that level. Still, the guy works and is dangerous whenever i see hom play, which isn't very often for Canada because he hasn't done enough to prove he is a starter. If Bekker wasn't always finding his way onto the field i doubt anyone would be knocking the guy.

Another very impressive showing from Bekker as a sub with us down a man. What is impressive is he is playing very well defensively and doing a good job as a destroyer and getting physically involved defending. Not sure if it is our coaching staff or if he has just realized himself what his deficiencies are and is working on correcting them but he is playing himself at least into a B starter/1st choice sub role and is starting to justify Floro's faith in him. He always had skills going forward but if he can round out his play with defensive skill he may develop into a good player yet.

Can't comment on these recent performances but I still believe that his best spot is in a holding mid spot, like he played beside Piette in the Olympic qualifiers, or behind Bradley early last season. His passing skillset is that of a holding mid. I always felt his defensive problem stemmed from lacking strength and genuine quickness, and if you don't put in a big time effort to overcome that, the optics don't look good.

Archived