Bekker traded to montreal

Free kick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bakary wanted a trade as he wasn't happy with his playing time in Montreal. Does he really think it will improve in Dallas? Bekker in Montreal could be on the bench but it is a step towards to some playing time for him. I hope it gets Bekker back on track because he has not looked good for club or country lately.

Montreal just upgraded their draft pick from 20th to 3rd. Not bad. I'd put Bekker on the USL squad right away to get some regular playing time and some confidence back.

I was thinking that Bekker reminds me of Freddy Adu in some ways. Hyped, inasmuch in a way that a Canadian MLS player can, and actually a similar game in that he's about 80% slow and useless but once in a while he'll do something pretty impressive with the ball that give you some hope. Adu was/is the same way as well.

Totally different drafts and irrelevant. It is mostly a salary dump and getting rid of someone who made some pretty unprofessional comments about Impact management in particular Adam Braz (though not Klopas who he has a good relationship with even though it is Klopas who did not play him). The comments were really bizarre and forced the Impact's hand. There may be some truth to them (no one would claim the Impact are run as professionally as they should be) but inexcusable for a professional player who is pissed off at not getting playing time (even though he admitted he has played some poor games) to make. Soumare has some skills but was overall really disappointing in his play and really did not fit in well with Ciman (a dominant big playmaking CB who is error prone partnered with another big CB who makes less spectacular plays and is even more error prone). Ciman needs to be beside a stay at home type of CB (not convinced by Cebrara so far, Lefevre in his good games has been a better fit though we could really use an upgrade at this position). 

As for Bekker it is entirely possible we needed to take him so that Dallas could get Soumare under the salary cap. Still a very big difference in salary as I assume Bekker is close to league minimum and Soumare was probably fairly well paid. While we have a lot of midfielders we do not have anyone who is a natural central attacking midfielder although Piatti and sometimes Duka are played there. Bekker did look good when he came on as a sub against us when Dallas were trailing. Even if Piatti and Duka are not natural CAMs I doubt Bekker is being brought in to replace them though, probably more as a sub when trailing late in games. He does have some skills though and there are a number of players who have improved a lot under Klopas so there may be hope for him yet. We are rumoured to be signing Alberto Aquilani which would solve our lack of starting level CAM problem.

Bekker has the ability to be a good player.  He's technically sound.  The problem is he has a very low footballing IQ.  He's prone to positional mistakes, making arrant passes forcing plays that don't exist and getting caught flat footed on defense.  The lure is that those qualities can be coached out of him because he has the technical ability to play attractive soccer. 

I watched him warming up taking shots on the keeper during the Gold Cup match.  He was making extremely difficult long range shots look easy.  I bet he trains well but lacks the polish in games.

Yes the drafts were in different years. I was making that comment more tongue in cheek kind of way. Yes it is 100% about moving a player who doesn't want to be there and opening up salary cap space for an incoming CAM.

If he lacks polish in games get him into the USL side to get lots of playing time. Lord knows they need the help. They have 10 games left and then he will be ready for the end of the MLS season if an opening comes up. Hope he makes the most of his chances when he gets them.

I don't think playing in USL would help Bekker very much. That is not the level of competition he needs to hone his skill against.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting the rust off, getting knocked about in real game situations and probably most importantly getting some confidence.

He's a player that needs a lot of playing time and he has not gotten those time these past few years. I do think he can be a better player no doubt and he gets to play he will improve. I do think that he needs a DMid by him that will allow him to focus on creating for others and himself. Although he will have to be stronger at keeping the ball and not be pushed around. Will see if he gets playing time with MI and hopefully he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Footballing IQ is NOT Bekker's problem.

It is the problem of most of our player pool, but it's not his. In fact it is probably one of his strengths.

Exactly. Footballing IQ might be all he has and the reason why coaches keep playing him.

Frank is not exactly liberal with giving guys playing time either - it will be hard to knock off Donadel at the moment, or Rio-Coker coming off the bench.

On the offensive side, there is Mallace fighting with Bernier and now Venegas for time.  Hard to see how Bekker fits in.

Curious to see how Impact and Whitecaps approach the CL finals, given how both teams have some league momentum and won't want to risk injury or fatigue for the league.  Maybe Bekker gets a look?

• 1 month later...

Archived