Canada vs Puerto Rico

TFC07

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll get a nice little bump in the rankings after these 2 games. And hopefully a huge bump after round 2 of wcq and gold cup. 

Not as much as I'd have thought.  Playing with the prediction tool at http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/concacaf.html the win against 160-ranked Puerto Rico gets us 128 points and the win against 82-ranked Guatemala gets us 301 points, to raise our total points from 266 to 277, which (assuming no other action) moves us from 116 to 113.  Had we drawn against Guatamala, we'd actually have fallen to 255 points (121st place).  

As usual, it makes little sense ... as I don't even see any previous March matchs I see in the last 4 years, is the two 2013 friendly losses go from being 2 years old to 3 years, and the 2011 friendly win over Belarus drops out of the 4-year old wins.

Also did anyone else see that the average age of the team is about 26 years old?  We're a relatively youthful team with only JDG and Ledgerwood over 30 years old.  Abitiba and DeRo (if he plays again) are the only other players in our regular pool that are over 30 as well.

The rebuild of the program is complete and there's the next wave of 23 and younger players right behind the current core.  It remains to be seen if they're ready to compete but we have a solid mix of vets in their prime, a couple aging stars and young players pushing up.  The program is probably in it's best overall shape in 10 years.

Also did anyone else see that the average age of the team is about 26 years old?  We're a relatively youthful team with only JDG and Ledgerwood over 30 years old.  Abitiba and DeRo (if he plays again) are the only other players in our regular pool that are over 30 as well.

The rebuild of the program is complete and there's the next wave of 23 and younger players right behind the current core.  It remains to be seen if they're ready to compete but we have a solid mix of vets in their prime, a couple aging stars and young players pushing up.  The program is probably in it's best overall shape in 10 years.

I don't want to get too excited, but the future is looking bright.   Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this World Cup team right now, but in 5-10 years we are going to see a lot good players and a lot more depth in our pool which we never seen in a while.  

Like I said before, I don't want to get excited even though it's hard not to.    World Cup 2022 and/or 2026 hopefully be Canada's time to shine.   

Like I said the results are yet to be seen; but it's nice to see a full blend of age groups in our playoff pool consistent with other team's national programs.

Most other teams have a core of guys 25-28 with a group that's younger and a handful that's older.  Our team demographics now are representing a healthy player pool that we haven't consistently had.

I'm optimistic about the future of our player pool, and like the demographics, but I certainly wouldn't say the program is in it's best shape in 10 years. I don't mean to be a bit of a buzz-killer here, but I would say 5-6 years ago we had more players playing at a higher level and just a deeper player pool al around. I like the potential of some of our younger players, but I honestly don't think the CMNT itself is in particularly good shape at the moment. Other than perhaps actually having a manager with real pedigree.

I'm optimistic about the future of our player pool, and like the demographics, but I certainly wouldn't say the program is in it's best shape in 10 years. I don't mean to be a bit of a buzz-killer here, but I would say 5-6 years ago we had more players playing at a higher level and just a deeper player pool al around. I like the potential of some of our younger players, but I honestly don't think the CMNT itself is in particularly good shape at the moment. Other than perhaps actually having a manager with real pedigree.

Agreed. I actually recall having fun watching those games with Simpson, JDG, Atiba, Gerba, Radzinski, Brennan, McKenna, Serioux, DeRo, Stalteri tearing around. Sad to imagine (and results aside) but those were the glory days as long as I've been a fan. Now if that team had a proper manager... 

Agreed. I actually recall having fun watching those games with Simpson, JDG, Atiba, Gerba, Radzinski, Brennan, McKenna, Serioux, DeRo, Stalteri tearing around. Sad to imagine (and results aside) but those were the glory days as long as I've been a fan. Now if that team had a proper manager...

Josh Simpson was a one of a kind CMNT player. Watching youtube clips of him makes me think how we took him for granted.

Archived