Canada vs Puerto Rico

TFC07

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does Larin rank in youngest Canadian scorers ever?  We definitely haven't had a teenager score in the last 10 years.

Also agree with posters who are saying our team isn't in great shape compared to years past.  We still have a decent squad but if you compare the team to our 2008 WCQ team there really is no comparison.  We have some decent young prospects 93 and younger but they are too young to contribute and the 89-92 pool hasn't offered us any true stars.. Bekker, Haber, Straith etc. are decent but that's about it.  Osorio, Teibert, Tissot, Ouimette are still developing but not ready to lead this team.

Where is the next Hutchinson, Stalteri, Radzinski, De Rosario or De Guzman?  I can't immediately pick them out but hopefully more than a few of these kids can reach those heights.  And that's really what we're banking on because if they don't we don't have a plan B.  If our WCQ team in 2020 has players playing at the levels of the 2008 team I'll be surprised and that is sad.

I do think we are in better shape though with our manager than either of the last two WCQs.  I'm more optimistic simply because of Floro, talent doesn't necessarily get you to the Hex.  Imagine what Floro could have done with that 2008 team though...

Gavin is simply taking the raw feed from their camcorder and passing it onto Youtube Live. No ability to add graphics.

Of course there is plenty of broadcasting software out there, but it requires a higher level of technical knowledge. 

Recall this he's doing this in a place with no wifi, and apparently no electricity, and he also needs to post social media updates.

This on top of play by play and camera work.

There is only so much we can expect from one person. 

Ideally they'd have more, but thats not the reality right now.

What a week when 4 different attackers all score!  

Has always been so frustrating seeing our players miss out on chances to "pad their numbers" when we play against minnows (and inevitably squeak out a 1-0 or 0-0).

Having that PR goalkeeper sure had something to do with it. Don't think we'll be seeing him in NASL or USL soon...

From the interview I like hearing Floro explain that we played Puerto Rico because the team and conditions will be similar to what we will face against Dominica. It may seem like a no-brainer to play against competition similar to what you will be facing but I don't recall us doing that very often before. Also good to hear they are taking Dominica seriously and not underestimating them. We should be able to beat them easily but taking them seriously and not assuming we will beat them is the best way to avoid any possible upsets or freak results as well as preparing the team properly for the next round (which I don't think happened during the minnow round last time).

Ledgwerood seems to be our RB of choice going forward.

With Doneil Henry out for a while, it appears that Nick put his name firmly in the RB conversation, with great performances this week. The only other option I could see would be to continue paring Jakovic with Edgar at CB and shifting Hainault out to RB. Either way, the good news is that we appear to be in good shape at the back.

Not to be negative, but comparing results and where players were at to the same time in 2011, I'm not AS optimistic...I watched the whole Puerto Rico game, and the whole Guatemala game now, the PR game has been released on youtube...and the amount of bad turnovers...my god...the guatemala game in particular, we actually played REALLY badly, luckily Guatemala played badly too.  Come on guys, if it's windy, play the ball on the ground???

We really need to clean that stuff up, or any team that actually can do anything is gonna 8-1 us.

Not to be negative, but comparing results and where players were at to the same time in 2011, I'm not AS optimistic...I watched the whole Puerto Rico game, and the whole Guatemala game now, the PR game has been released on youtube...and the amount of bad turnovers...my god...the guatemala game in particular, we actually played REALLY badly, luckily Guatemala played badly too.  Come on guys, if it's windy, play the ball on the ground???

We really need to clean that stuff up, or any team that actually can do anything is gonna 8-1 us.

Did you watch the game in 2011?  It wasn't exactly a great performance either and not to make excuses but the pitch is pretty horrible in PR.

I just watched the whole game few notes:

- De Guzman is playing with confidence again, Floro had him in a box to box role with Piette as the destroyer and Bekker a little further up.  For WCQ I'd like to see JDG as destroyer with Johnson box to box and Hutchinson higher up.  Must feel nice to be "the man" again being Canada captain and being a big signing for a club, he's not as good in the air or as quick as he once was but he's still a hell of a footballer and was the MOTM for me.  He could have had 2-3 goals.

- Larin is a MONSTER.  It's so easy to see why he went first overall, not only was he twice the size of any PR defender and won every ball he challenged for but he was also burning these smaller players with speed and technique.  We need to really cross our fingers that he develops quickly because he could legitimately start for us this year, this guy could be our new and improved Ali G  If it wasn't for the fact he only played 20 minutes he would have been my MOTM.  He had a chance cleared off the line with an incredible goal line clearance.. so nice that Edgar and Larin both went and congratulated the defender.

- Tissot had his moments and had the assist on the Ricketts goal.  He also delivered a perfect ball for JDG who missed with a header, I think he was better at LB but that's an easy position to play when you're dominating. 

- Ouimette quietly put up 2 assists and a solid outing.  Edgar and Jakovic were solid but untested for the most part.  Ricketts and Ledgerwood are what they are, decent moments here and there but lack the complete product.

- Teibert wanted to make something happen badly, he was flying and combining all over.  It's a little annoying though how he always is pointing to his feet for the ball, even when he's in a useless position and there's a better ball to be played.  He also said something to Larin after Larin made a nice play and had tried to cut it back to him and it didn't go through (it was a nearly impossible ball to play), not sure what that was all about. 

- Bekker.. it's obvious why we're playing him so much.  There is just so much quality and potential there but he doesn't have the fitness/mentality to put it together. 

- Piette looks like his game has matured a bit in Spain, not convinced he's ready for XI yet though.

Great win. Nothing wrong with a scorline like that. I thought they kept possesion well enough after they up but there were stretches that looked like ping pong out there. That said, they didn't play lumpball for 90mins either. There was some nice short passing up the pitch and balls through that worked well.

All in all I wished we saw the 2 scuffed chances go in. They were strong chances that went wide. One off the head and one just a quick tap wide. Those chances will be the few we have later in the year against better competition.

Still looking forward to Dominica. I hope they can play it even tighter and a more controlled game.

Did you watch the game in 2011?  It wasn't exactly a great performance either and not to make excuses but the pitch is pretty horrible in PR.

Actually, Larin, Tissot, Bekker and Teibert were my high spots, and when I was talking to people about the game, I noted the same people.  I more meant that in terms of where people were at in club situations seemed better in 2011.  Qualification is upon us, we have Dominica now, yes, and I hope we draw a relative minnow in the 3rd round (not like...El Salvador or something) to give the guys continued time to grow.

As for 2011, we controlled the game a lot more then and had less turnovers, but, as was the stigma for most of the qualifying campaign, had trouble in the final third.  I don't remember the exact game against Puerto Rico, but history shows the same result...3-0.  

I'm just saying, I don't see anything to suggest it's going to be a better run than the 2014 campaign at this point.  That said, I am excited about Canadian soccer as always.

As for 2011, we controlled the game a lot more then and had less turnovers, but, as was the stigma for most of the qualifying campaign, had trouble in the final third.  I don't remember the exact game against Puerto Rico, but history shows the same result...3-0.  

So you do or don't remember it? ;) LOL

This performance was better IMO and we created a lot more chances.  Yes the club situations are different than in 2011 for some but others have improved as well.  Overall we are in better shape with Floro and the TEAM as a whole rather than individuals, if it were possible I would take the 2015 team to beat the 2011 team 100%.

Im happy for de guzman. A few months ago we were calling for him to retire from int'l duty. Now he seems to have his confidence back. Signs as the marquee player for an nasl side. If hes been this good for the nats the past year without a club he can only get better. I think the time away from club football was good for him.

Id like to see a midfield of johnson atiba and de guz this summer. Will should be back playing pretty soon.

If any one of our holdouts join we'll be looking good come this summer. (Occean. Cavallani. Hoilett.) would also like to see aleman in the mix.

We've come a long way from that unspeakable night in honduras. Lets enjoy this summer and hopefully have a long wcq and a solid gold cup that leads to the copa next summer.

We've come a long way from that unspeakable night in honduras. Lets enjoy this summer and hopefully have a long wcq and a solid gold cup that leads to the copa next summer.

It was a hot and steamy afternoon...the night was cool and full of cold beer and street music, and sympathy dances for the V's who went to the game.

So you do or don't remember it? ;) LOL

This performance was better IMO and we created a lot more chances.  Yes the club situations are different than in 2011 for some but others have improved as well.  Overall we are in better shape with Floro and the TEAM as a whole rather than individuals, if it were possible I would take the 2015 team to beat the 2011 team 100%.

lol I watched it, I promise you, every goddamn minute of it, but my memory is as close to alzheimers as you can get. But yeah I know what you are saying...but I'd take the 2011 team personally, with one exception.

Give me Floro coaching it.

Archived