Drew Beckie

Yohan

• 9 months later...
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. He's free to sign with or trial with whichever MLS team he pleases, unless I'm mistaken

I didn't make it clear. He got passed over by all MLS teams while making league min. Clearly no MLS teams want him

I didn't make it clear. He got passed over by all MLS teams while making league min. Clearly no MLS teams want him

A player not being taken at the waiver draft does not mean no other MLS team has interest in him. When clubs select players they are taking over his option year, something that many clubs will not want to do in November before they know what other players they have signed during the off season. The waiver draft consists of young inexperienced players who have not been in the league long. The more experienced players whose options are not renewed go into the Re-Entry Draft. Young inexperienced depth players are usually the final players a club wants to sign in the offseason process which is one reason why almost no selections are made in the waiver draft, last year only one selection was made and this year only two (both Impact players). Obviously it is not a good sign to be placed in the waiver draft by a team in the first place but some of the players in the draft who are not selected will still sign with MLS teams at a later date though many will go elsewhere or sign with a lower division team.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, yothat said:

He's never been called to a national team camp?

He was never particularly good with Ottawa and didn't make it with Columbus before that. Apparently he was pretty decent for Carolina as a DM, but I think his dual citizenship is a big reason why he's getting a tryout. I wouldn't bet on him making it, but it's a good opportunity for him at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 0:14 AM, Zem said:

He was never particularly good with Ottawa and didn't make it with Columbus before that. Apparently he was pretty decent for Carolina as a DM, but I think his dual citizenship is a big reason why he's getting a tryout. I wouldn't bet on him making it, but it's a good opportunity for him at least.

How do you know he wasn't good at Ottawa? He was a starter for them for two seasons. Did you watch games? I don't get where people garner these opinions on a player. He's been in MLS and he got an opportunity I'm guessing because he's earned it and played a lot of games over the last three seasons. I don't know why he hasn't been called in for a camp when players with much less experience get called in. 

I believe he has a green card, he is not American. His sister is but he grew up in Canada and the US. 

Drew and Mason Trafford were the two central defenders during the Fury's first season and although there were obviously goals conceded, for an expansion team they had a good understanding and formed a very solid partnership; two of the better players on the team that year.

Year 2 saw the arrival of Falvey and Alves and that left Drew out in the cold so to speak.  He got in a few games as a holding midfielder but struggled to find any consistency and force his way into Dos Santos' starting 11.

He played quite a few games for Carolina last season, starting a lot of those.

Having called all of his Fury games and the games when Ottawa played Carolina, Beckie is a sold, workmanlike player who sticks to the job being asked of him.  Nothing flashy or daring.  You won't win much with 11 of these type players; but you won't win much without at least a few.  If he is able to find a fit on a team needing this skill set then he would be a great pickup.

And to add to this, Beckie is one of the classiest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

GWS

Edited by gwsmith63

38 minutes ago, Soccer4lyfefc said:

How do you know he wasn't good at Ottawa? He was a starter for them for two seasons. Did you watch games? I don't get where people garner these opinions on a player. He's been in MLS and he got an opportunity I'm guessing because he's earned it and played a lot of games over the last three seasons. I don't know why he hasn't been called in for a camp when players with much less experience get called in. 

I believe he has a green card, he is not American. His sister is but he grew up in Canada and the US. 

It really doesn't seem like you understood my comment. And yes, I have watched every Fury game that has been broadcast online.

I didn't say he wasn't good, I said he wasn't particularly good, i.e. he wasn't a standout. He also never played a game in MLS, he was drafted by Columbus in 2013 and then released the same year.

He was a starter in 2014, where he made 19 starts out of 27 games. In 2015 he was obviously not a starter (8 starts) and got opportunities at RB and CM but wasn't very good there and couldn't secure himself any consistent playing time, which is why he played very little for most of the season. He did great in Carolina where he started 2/3 of their games, which was a nice rebound for him.

But you should remember the context of my comment was him trialing for Chicago Fire and whether he should be considered for the CMNT. Whether he actually has US citizenship or not is irrelevant because you only need a green card to be considered a US domestic, which was my point. I was not saying he didn't "deserve" the tryout, just that being a US domestic was an important factor, because if he was an international he obviously wouldn't be trying out with an American MLS team.

He is a great guy and a reasonable NASL-level player, but I don't think he is MLS or CMNT quality at the moment. Could he improve? Certainly, he's not exactly "young" anymore at 26, but I think a lot of the problems in his game could be ironed out with more experience. Sorry if you misunderstood my tone.