Jaime Peters

ThiKu

30 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looking back, I'd really like to know what Frank Yallop had in Peters.  Was there a kick back for him?  I recall him getting capped for us, as an unattached teenager, and then after a few games he wound up with Ipswich, Yallop's former club. 

I recall also a WCQ where he came on as a sub, then was subbed off!  It was at Swangard, but the details are forgotten. 

Does anyone know about this?  Am I messed up on these details, or is it not super sketchy how he came on the scene and was capped unattached?

I think there were a lot of things during the Yallop era that were super sketchy particularly with his selections. Most of the other managers we had even if they were poor at least put the best team on the field. Possibly one could dispute one or two selections but with Yallop it seemed we were often playing with a B team which is why I have always considered him the worst manager I have seen since I have followed the national team. Peters did play 99 games in the Championship so there must have been something there but I can't say I was ever very impressed by his play and he was  terrible when Yallop played him during WCQ as a teenager who was no where near ready for the national team. At the very least unattached player playing in World  Cup Qualifying long before he was ready and then transferring to the manager's former club is very suspicious.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use to play head to head against him in the OYSL when we were 16 (I think he was actually 15 and playing a year up). He was a winger, I was a winger and he’d always just blast by me with his pace. It was one of the reasons I joined the Voyageurs all those years ago (2003, although I think I  had an account even earlier than that). I still remember playing against his team (CS Azzuri) and  I believe Colin Miller was there scouting our game. 

I was always interested in where his career was heading and of course I admired him as it was my dream to go play in a pro league in Europe as well. Happy to see he’s still playing.

Edited by cronaldo7

• 2 years later...

Oh boy.....Peters make a triumphant return, scores the winner against YORK, runs wild against TFC.  The new TFC coach Perez (who loves old players) signs him immediately, pays Masters a million dollar transfer fee..Herdman takes notice and Jaime is called back to CMNT for WCQ this fall.  The feel good story of the year, Jaime writes a book, it gets turned into a movie, Micheal B Jordan as Peters, DOn Mckellar as Jimmy Brennan, Antono Banderas as Perez and Herdman as himself in his acting debut.  

On 8/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, Bison44 said:

Oh boy.....Peters make a triumphant return, scores the winner against YORK, runs wild against TFC.  The new TFC coach Perez (who loves old players) signs him immediately, pays Masters a million dollar transfer fee..Herdman takes notice and Jaime is called back to CMNT for WCQ this fall.  The feel good story of the year, Jaime writes a book, it gets turned into a movie, Micheal B Jordan as Peters, DOn Mckellar as Jimmy Brennan, Antono Banderas as Perez and Herdman as himself in his acting debut.  

With Roy Keane playing himself as Ipswich manager

When we played Spain in Santander in 2005 I asked Yallop after the game why Jaime didn't play. He had been hyped quite a bit, fans were excited, they even spoke of him in the Spanish press previews. He said he was going to but when Grande scored to make it 2-1 with 20 m left, almost immediately after subbing on, he thought we could get a result and Jaime was left out. 

Yallop only used three subs that game, despite being a full friendly, I guess because our depth was iffy.

From that match Atiba, Sergio Ramos and Joaquin are still active, legends all.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 4:35 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

When we played Spain in Santander in 2005 I asked Yallop after the game why Jaime didn't play. He had been hyped quite a bit, fans were excited, they even spoke of him in the Spanish press previews. He said he was going to but when Grande scored to make it 2-1 with 20 m left, almost immediately after subbing on, he thought we could get a result and Jaime was left out. 

Yallop only used three subs that game, despite being a full friendly, I guess because our depth was iffy.

From that match Atiba, Sergio Ramos and Joaquin are still active, legends all.

But the young Ramos had a tough match up against Radzinski, who was in excellent form on the wing that evening.  However, it didn't stop him from going on to much bigger and better things!