Sign in to follow this  
ThiKu

Jaime Peters

@Lord Bob & Grizz. Can you show me in my post where I said Peters would be an upgrade over the preferred STARTERS at either Whitecaps or Montreal? .....

oh ya, that's right. I didn't say that. What I said specifically was "a number of Whitecaps players." Bob stated, what I was insinuating.

Peters>Klazura. Le Toux, Dede, Teibert>Peters.

For me, Peters is ahead of Franks, AND Harvey. Even if Peters doesn't play their positions. He is adaptable, as are others on Whitecaps. Bob, I would take Peters at L1 money of Klazura at MLSDev money any day.

Peters will most likely want the type of money that would require him to be a starter. Brovsky is a pretty poor player but is making very little money, last year his salary was $42 000. Valentin's salary last year was $132 000. Peters salary demands would likely be much closer to Valentin's than Brovsky's salary. You can speculate all you want about him replacing low paid depth players on either team but that is not where he is going to fit in in terms of salary or expectation.

Plus, while it would be certainly interesting to give Peters a trial and see where he fits in, he seems like a very risky signing to me. He is a player who has not developed anywhere near to what his potential seemed, there have been rumours of attitude problems, he has struggled to make the lineup for a team playing in a league fairly near to the level of MLS, when he has played for them he has been very inconsistent at times great at times very poor, and he has been at times decent with the national teams and at times poor but poor has been more frequent than decent. He might turn out to be a good MLS player but I think it is equally likely he could be a complete bust and not an inexpensive one at that.

@Grizz....I know it is a very low salary cap and every dollar counts. But at the same time, if you'd rather have a Brovsky for cheap than a good player for roughly double his cheap salary.....you are asking to never go above mediocre. Fill the cheap contracts with 18-20 year olds, not guys like Brovsky.

Plus, while it would be certainly interesting to give Peters a trial and see where he fits in, he seems like a very risky signing to me. He is a player who has not developed anywhere near to what his potential seemed, there have been rumours of attitude problems, he has struggled to make the lineup for a team playing in a league fairly near to the level of MLS, when he has played for them he has been very inconsistent at times great at times very poor, and he has been at times decent with the national teams and at times poor but poor has been more frequent than decent. He might turn out to be a good MLS player but I think it is equally likely he could be a complete bust and not an inexpensive one at that.

^This.

If nothing else, he has to come to grips with the reality that his salad days in the salary department are done...for now, at least.

Ok, but what does that have to do with him throwing the armband on the pitch? Or does a quote about another match nullify that? This is the exact attitude I'm talking about...

To me the guy's been a great leader. If he threw the armband in frustration when he got injured, that's not a big deal for me. If you're gonna find fault with his leadership, I think better evidence would be the match a couple weeks ago, I can't remember against who, where e pushed himself up into attack by his own accord. But even then, he did that because the team needed a goal. In my opinion, he's done whatever needs to be done to help the team i.e. playing in defence. Let's face it, he probably didn't sign with TFC thinking he'd become a CB.

Rudi's article does matter because it reinforces the guy's commitment to the club. If you're saying him tossing the armband overrides all of that in the leadership department, I disagree.

I'm not saying it overrides that and I'm not saying that Frings shouldn't be captain either... he's clearly the heart and soul of the team, I'm saying it was a BS move for a captain to make. I'm just giving an example of something, DeRo actually mentioned it post game so it stood out to someone else at least.

I'm not saying it overrides that and I'm not saying that Frings shouldn't be captain either... he's clearly the heart and soul of the team, I'm saying it was a BS move for a captain to make. I'm just giving an example of something, DeRo actually mentioned it post game so it stood out to someone else at least.

In your post, you put "captain" in quotation marks. That's clearly questioning his leadership to me, which is fine, I just disagree. I don't see how a player tossing his armband as he's leaving a game injured is very notable. As for Dwayne DeRosario commenting on it, there's a guy whose leadership should be questioned. Not too shocking that he would find something negative about TFC to bring up.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:04 PM, Bison44 said:

Is he really in L1ontario??  Geez, if he could get in shape he could have a job in CPL when it starts.    

I bet that is his thinking

Rossi made a comment on one of the podcasts that lots of players are hoping to get scouted for CPL this year

It's actually a big summer for a lot of Canadian players.  There are going to be 144 new fully professional roster spots in Canada next year.  Maybe 72 of the may be exclusively for Canadian players.

Probably half the 300 or so professional  Canadian players plus likely nearly  every single of the 550 D3 domestic players are looking at those spots very closely right now.  If they can grab one of those 70 roster spots in the first year it greatly  enhances their career.

I think Duane Rollins mentioned that the big news will be the competition  for those spots.  He was spot on.  The landscape for Canadian soccer just had a massive shift.

On 2017-5-12 at 4:32 PM, baulderdash77 said:

It's actually a big summer for a lot of Canadian players.  There are going to be 144 new fully professional roster spots in Canada next year.  Maybe 72 of the may be exclusively for Canadian players.

Probably half the 300 or so professional  Canadian players plus likely nearly  every single of the 550 D3 domestic players are looking at those spots very closely right now.  If they can grab one of those 70 roster spots in the first year it greatly  enhances their career.

I think Duane Rollins mentioned that the big news will be the competition  for those spots.  He was spot on.  The landscape for Canadian soccer just had a massive shift.

Where do you come up with this stuff? There are only two teams committed and no firm dates and, as we sit, absolutely no basis to start the league next year. 

Sorry, totally out of place enthusiasm. When it happens, then, maybe, we can start talking. But any player thinking about his future should not be even dreaming about CPL

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Where do you come up with this stuff? There are only two teams committed and no firm dates and, as we sit, absolutely no basis to start the league next year. 

Sorry, totally out of place enthusiasm. When it happens, then, maybe, we can start talking. But any player thinking about his future should not be even dreaming about CPL

Except for everyone involved in this saying publicly that they're trying to get it started for next year. 

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Except for everyone involved in this saying publicly that they're trying to get it started for next year. 

Wow, and they've been so reliable, Canadian soccer denizens are to be taken at face value. 

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well they are saying publicly that they're launching with 6-8 teams after the World Cup.  6x24= 144.

I'm sorry that the narrative carried by every public news outlet doesn't line up with your pessimistic view on things but it looks like it's happening.  Everyone else has already accepted it

53 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Well they are saying publicly that they're launching with 6-8 teams after the World Cup.  6x24= 144.

I'm sorry that the narrative carried by every public news outlet doesn't line up with your pessimistic view on things but it looks like it's happening.  Everyone else has already accepted it

I am so tired of this puerile citing of "they", which is, effectively, nobody, nothing. There is no "they", there is no voice, there is no league, there is no authority. Not a single voice is currently authorized to speak for this and can be cited, reliably, as "they".

Let's go through this:

are they talking about a league? YES

have they talked about a league before? YES

did they get the league done before when they talked about it? NO

do they have enough owners groups to start a league? NO

do they have enough venues designated for a league? NO

do they have the MLS teams onside or least not creating interference in their respective metropoli? NO

do they have the economic model in place? NO

do they have sponsorship deals set up? NO

have they sorted out how a league would be sanctioned in relation to existing pro and semipro teams? NO

is the man who initiated this, our former CSA president, still involved in carrying it forward? NO

have the provincial FA's come out clearly in support? NO

is it reasonable to have a league in Canada starting in the fall? NO

does it make sense to start a league project by doing it half-assed, starting in the fall and doing a pseudo-season? NO

would it be better to wait until you have at least 6 ownership groups, then make a league entity with a protocol for expansion, then start a proper league, marketed right, promoted well, properly sponsored and financed? YES

does the current state of the question justify the former scenario being carried out in 2018? NO

if four more ownership groups come on board would it make sense to do a half season in fall 2018? NO

is the constant and overly enthused citing of "they" a demonstration of the naivety of Canadian soccer fans? TBD