Jaime Peters

ThiKu

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I AM NOT THE PROBLEM WITH CANADIAN SOCCER, STOP VICTIMIZING ME!

IF YOU CONTINUE WITH YOUR DELUDED POSTING ABOUT ME STOPPING A CANADIAN LEAGUE SINGLE-HANDEDLY I WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE TO CALL YOU A TOTAL DOUCHE!

HOW DO I GET THE CAPS LOCKS OFF?

DOUCHE

7 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Jamie Peters wasted his athletic talents by not working on his technique and dribbling and relying purely on speed to beat opponents. Then when he gained weight and lost a step he was fucked.

Perhaps he should have moved to a league where technique and dribbling are really important, instead of the English Championship. Oh well, hindsight.

On 2017-05-19 at 0:49 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Has anyone on this board ever made a business plan and carried it out fulfilling deadlines and staying close to the critical path with all stakeholders engaged? Even including optimistic and pessimistic projections? With individuals assigned to tasks and responsable for completing them? How about being paid to set up a league taking the CSA brief and interpreting it transparently? A league needs public input and debate and should not be a fully private endeavour.

How about hiring a professional consultancy with sports management experience and specific football experience? And being paid more to get the job done, less if you fail?

Nothing about any of the entire process has any credibility. ...but hey, can't argue with those logo ideas and t-shirts can you? Not if your a real Canada soccer fan on the Voyageurs board. 

(apologises to dyslexic Nam for being the problem with Canadian soccer, that's rich: you are such a total douce to say something like that)

I have. A handful (more than 2, but less that 5 ?) although never on a national scale and mostly in public sector. But still, province wide, involving many more stakeholders, with high facility needs and considerably more competing agendas. In all cases though, the funding committed to and in place. This announcement is not unlike the public sector realm where announcements are often made before all the ducks are lined up. But nevertheless, it is fair to be sceptical. The are many elements that are unknown to the outside observer, yet critical to success.

I would insist however, that unknown does not necessarily mean "No". Nor do I agree that all are necessary although I will agree most are necessary. I am not sceptical about this, mostly based on balance of probabilities. After looking at who has committed publicly, and running through the "why." "what's in it for them?" and "what's in it for them to lose?" questions, I am lead to dismiss things like incompetence, malfeasance and gambit. Admittedly all based on my experience, my values, and, although I do try diligently to mitigate, my biases. A leap of faith? Certainly. But one I personally, am comfortable in making.

As for Jaime Peters, I think he made a massive mistake from a development perspective in declining Chelsea and instead going to Ipswich. He needed better coaching and more importantly, better examples of how to be a top class professional. He would have gotten both at Chelsea, although he certainly would likely have never seen the field as a first team member. 

• 2 months later...
On 05/22/2017 at 10:00 PM, Gordon said:

As for Jaime Peters, I think he made a massive mistake from a development perspective in declining Chelsea and instead going to Ipswich. He needed better coaching and more importantly, better examples of how to be a top class professional. He would have gotten both at Chelsea, although he certainly would likely have never seen the field as a first team member. 

On 05/22/2017 at 11:09 PM, Bison44 said:

Was Ipswich full of bad apples?  I have heard many the party stories but were there particular bad influences there? I always thought it was just too much money, fame etc for Peters and he lost his way.  

On 05/23/2017 at 7:04 AM, jpg75 said:

Didn't a bunch of them get caught with hookers one time?

You are letting the current impact your analysis of the past. In 2005, Ipswich was only a few years out of playing in Europe and Chelsea wasn't yet Chelski. More importantly, Ipswich was known for identifying, producing and developing young talent.

Jaimie wasted his talent through laziness (and to be fair a few nagging injuries that lingered), not lack of coaching. He was always in and out of the doghouse with a few coaches - Magilton, Keane and Jewell. In the end, as someone said he gained weight and lost a step.

Don't remember a prostitute scandal at ITFC during Jamie's time, but apparently he was spotted on the town rather frequently. And yes, he got caught up with the money and fame in a small town.

It's really incredible looking back to how much hype there was surrounding this kid, where a Manchester United reference got tossed around with one of our teenagers. Davies is really the chance to get things right, imo.

Manchester United: United trial for Canadianpage: 1
posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 04:23 PM

"Millwall have announced that midfield target Jaime Peters is training with Premiership giants Manchester United. 

The Canadian international has been looking for a club in England in recent weeks, having enjoyed trials at Championship rivals Ipswich Town and Derby County. 

The highly-rated teenage winger was offered a deal with the Portman Road club, but international team-mate Jason de Vos stated Peters turned down a move to Ipswich for a deal with The Lions, in order to be closer to relatives. 

Despite Millwall's interest to sign a third Canadian player this season, the 17-year-old has opted to try his luck by training with the Old Trafford club."

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread255595/pg1

Well that is interesting. Even if he doesn't land at ManU he will probably get on somewhere and maybe in the EPL.

Any current videos or pictures? I'm curious as to what is weight is currently. Maybe he whipped himself into top shape. I hope so.

14 minutes ago, TRM said:

Well that is interesting. Even if he doesn't land at ManU he will probably get on somewhere and maybe in the EPL.

The post you're responding to was from 2004.

On 27/7/2017 at 8:59 PM, BCM1555362349 said:

You are letting the current impact your analysis of the past. In 2005, Ipswich was only a few years out of playing in Europe and Chelsea wasn't yet Chelski. More importantly, Ipswich was known for identifying, producing and developing young talent.

From what I recall quite specifically, he is in fact correct and you are mistaken. He took minutes over development at a very early age. You are not only underestimating what Chelsea mean for development then, but the clear error of precipitating a learning curve. 

I mean, maybe you are an Ipswich fan and all, but then, as now there is no comparison. He erred. And he wasn't the first to do something similar Belotte also made a similar miscalculation and ruined his career.

On 27/07/2017 at 11:59 PM, BCM1555362349 said:

Jaimie wasted his talent through laziness (and to be fair a few nagging injuries that lingered), not lack of coaching. He was always in and out of the doghouse with a few coaches - Magilton, Keane and Jewell. In the end, as someone said he gained weight and lost a step.

Don't remember a prostitute scandal at ITFC during Jamie's time, but apparently he was spotted on the town rather frequently. And yes, he got caught up with the money and fame in a small town.

Ipswich was in Europe because of the Fair Play rating in 2003 after being relegated. So it's not like they got in Europe because they were playing good. They got into Europe because they were playing clean. So to say they were only a few years out of playing Europe is saying that they actually played good soccer to get in.

Chelsea became Chelski in August 2003 when they bought 5 players for over 15 Million pounds. To say they weren't Chelski in 2005 is Bull. 

12 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Ipswich was in Europe because of the Fair Play rating in 2003 after being relegated. So it's not like they got in Europe because they were playing good. They got into Europe because they were playing clean. So to say they were only a few years out of playing Europe is saying that they actually played good soccer to get in.

Chelsea became Chelski in August 2003 when they bought 5 players for over 15 Million pounds. To say they weren't Chelski in 2005 is Bull. 

You're 1 for 2 -- Wrong on ITFC, for the most part. Ipswich qualified two years in a row. In 2000-1 they qualified for Euros on the merits, and George Burley won Premier League manager of the year (and until the last day of the season were in the Champions League spot). To say they qualified for Fair Play is, well, Bull. They made some poor signings and were overwhelmed with the schedule of both Euros and EPL, and were relegated the following year. Then they qualified under Fair Play.

On Chelski, I'll give that to you. They were being transformed by 2005. Not the juggernaut they became, but you're right it began in 2003.

But this doesn't change the fact that ITFC have been known as a developer of talent for a long, long time. I'm sure this, and of course Yallop's influence, played a role in his choice. Pllus, it was clearly a better option than Derby at the time. I suspect ManU never offered a contract. Why not Chelsea, considering the family connection in London (as the above posted article mentioned), I don't know...Maybe he knew he'd get lost in the shuffle and loaned to League II clubs for years.

Edited by BCM

3 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

You're 1 for 2 -- Wrong on ITFC, for the most part. Ipswich qualified two years in a row. In 2000-1 they qualified for Euros on the merits, and George Burley won Premier League manager of the year (and until the last day of the season were in the Champions League spot). To say they qualified for Fair Play is, well, Bull. They made some poor signings and were overwhelmed with the schedule of both Euros and EPL, and were relegated the following year. Then they qualified under Fair Play.

I`m not wrong, you just want to spin it your way.

Jamie did in fact play for Ipswich, so had his minutes, and had loan spells in even lower tiers, and technically you'd have to say he was set to be a proper lower tier player at least. But his pro career effectively lasted from age 18 to 25. It is sort of a miracle Ipswich stayed with him so long, with loan spells included. He got his minutes, and did especially well young, but faded out. 

It is pretty odd to think the guy put his eggs all in one basket, one team effectively, and when that ran out, at 25 years old, he had no more idea of what to do. What he just burnt out by then? Were his reps that useless they could not find him another option to make him excited about playing?

So don't want to exaggerate my downplaying Ipswich option, but when it happened I did not agree, I felt you should have gone to Chelsea. For me it would have guaranteed a better future, a longer career, as he'd have been trained better. 

There are no guarantees. He played over 100 high level pro games...could very well have been less if he had gone to another team. Unfortunately didn't keep himself fit after that and when he came to NA he was way too overweight to have a shot...definitely had the quality

11 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I`m not wrong, you just want to spin it your way.

You're correct in the limited statement that in 2003 they were in Europe through fair play, but your spin meant ignoring the previous year, when they finished like 3 points out of a Champions League spot... but whatever, doesn't matter.

JP had an opportunity and didn't make the most of it. He was given an opportunity by every ITFC manager, and then lost the confidence of every manager. His loans were not great successes either. Then he partied and ate his way out of football. I don't know if it would have been different elsewhere. But if the dim lights of Suffolk were too tempting I shudder to think what the bright lights of London would have done to the young man.

Finally, it's really crazy to think when JP was on the down slide and getting loaned out he still managed to get called up and in games for the Nats. Hand in face emoji.

Jaime Peters only had himself to blame. I don't think that he chose the wrong club. That's the thing if you blame him for not going to Chelsea. Chelsea was not the best place because they had expectations to win now. It made no sense for him to go there

10 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

JP had an opportunity and didn't make the most of it. He was given an opportunity by every ITFC manager, and then lost the confidence of every manager. His loans were not great successes either. Then he partied and ate his way out of football. I don't know if it would have been different elsewhere. But if the dim lights of Suffolk were too tempting I shudder to think what the bright lights of London would have done to the young man.

Agreed.  I think his trajectory is fairly common, but for us we just have (had) so few upandcomers that we had to put a lot more stock in him and so his fall was that much harder to take.  Everything I've ever read/heard about pro sports below the top levels is that, as a career, it isn't for the faint of heart or motivation.  Alone, in another country, making good but not life-changing money ... I can see how it's easy to just fall out of it completely.

Looking back, I'd really like to know what Frank Yallop had in Peters.  Was there a kick back for him?  I recall him getting capped for us, as an unattached teenager, and then after a few games he wound up with Ipswich, Yallop's former club. 

I recall also a WCQ where he came on as a sub, then was subbed off!  It was at Swangard, but the details are forgotten. 

Does anyone know about this?  Am I messed up on these details, or is it not super sketchy how he came on the scene and was capped unattached?