If Canada wins next two games, who should get the call?

Champs

de Jong and Klukowski miles ahead of him.

Miles ahead of him? I am not ready to proclaim morgan as the next coming. But are those guys miles ahead of Morgan? we dont have any roberto Carlos back there and those guys are not exactly starting for Barcelona or Manu. Jazic is steady but unspectacular. I like Kluka for his experience and defensive attributes but has he been great comming foward? I dont know what i have ever seen in DeJong? Nobody on our national team can cross the ball. Morgan, has shown me all year that he can cross the ball.

Edit. To be clear, i dont necessarily object to the notion of those players getting called ahead of Morgan. I just cant fathom how they are being so overrrated and or how Morgan is being underrated by some of the previous comments.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free Kick I'm not saying Morgan isn't good or that he isn't an MLS starting left back, I'm just saying by all accounts Jazic is in great shape, having a great season and with no injuries he'll keep that going at least into next season and I think his experience puts him ahead of Morgan unless Morgan somehow becomes an MLS all star.

On second thought though it might not be a bad idea to cap tie Morgan in these upcoming games, we don't want to lose him to Jamaica who may swoop in before the next time we have a chance to tie him (i.e. next round). In the end though I think Morgan may have a limited MNT career.

I think Canada could use any wingback who go get forward and put in decent crosses. With exception of Kluk (and GOD i hope we can add Peters to the list), we simply don't have any offensive fullbacks who could add more dimensions to our attack. Plus he's playing decent amount games so he should be on Hart's radar.

I'm all for Morgan call-up.

Miles ahead of him? I am not ready to proclaim morgan as the next coming. But are those guys miles ahead of Morgan? we dont have any roberto Carlos back there and those guys are not exactly starting for Barcelona or Manu. Jazic is steady but unspectacular. I like Kluka for his experience and defensive attributes but has he been great comming foward? I dont know what i have ever seen in DeJong? Nobody on our national team can cross the ball. Morgan, has shown me all year that he can cross the ball.

Edit. To be clear, i dont necessarily object to the notion of those players getting called ahead of Morgan. I just cant fathom how they are being so overrrated and or how Morgan is being underrated by some of the previous comments.

I stand by my "miles" remark. I wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan develop into a top notch CONCACAF left back but right now he is a 20 year old with 5 MLS starts under his belt. Klukowski might be getting toward the end of his useful years, but he has played in Champions League and his a top player on a good team in a decent league. De Jong is one of two guys we have playing in a big 4 league. He has been injured or out of season every time he's been called up in the last two years so I don't think we can say we've seen him at his best.

That said, these next 4 matches are the ideal time for Hart to give Morgan a look. I think his ability to get forward and cross the ball could produce goals against a weaker, while his defensive lapses (understandable, given his age and experience) are less likely to be punished. In a game against, say, Honduras, where Canada would expect to be on the back foot a little bit, I'd rather have a guy with more defensive knowhow in the match.

3 years from now Morgan could well be ahead of both on the depth chart, but I think considering their current abilities and level of play, de Jong and Klula are both well ahead.

I can't see Morgan jumping Jazic in the depth chart for this round or the next, possibly the Hex.

There are two guys clearly ahead of these two in my (and jonovision's) view and that's Klukowski and De Jong. We know what Jazic can do, so why not also have a look at another much younger prospect who is a first choice regular starter at LB on his MLS team? The only way it's going to happen (apart from a sudden injury bug) is if the gaffer opts not to call Klukowski or De Jong for match six if we have already qualified.

Yeah, I heard there are premiership clubs interested in him, and he's just about to break into the first team at Ipswich, who will likely promote this season. Oh, what a second, I might have that wrong. What year is it again?

Ha, read the first line and thought 'what the hell is he on about?' ;)

How about giving one of the Singapore boys a shot? Jordan Webb has been scoring loads of goals from the midfield, he only 22, and may or may not be related to Nolando!

Lots of decent players pass through Singapore. Definitely not the best league, but worth giving one of those guys a shot.

Come on now...

I mean I thought someone suggesting calling REB from the Finnish second division was a reach but this is a whole next level

^^I'm not sure you two know the level in Singapore. I can't support my disagreement with any real evidence other than conjecture, but a few points:

-Transfermarkt rates the players quite highly, and unlike second division Finland, stats are updated and readily available

-Issey got his start in Singapore and his strike rate was very similar to that of Webb

-Tons of decent A-League, J-League, and K-League players have played there

Webb may not be moving because he's not good enough to take up an international spot in any of the above three leagues. That doesn't mean he couldn't contribute to Canada or move to a better club in the future. El-Masri has already been in the Canada system. Too many of our players rot on the bench in some overrated second tier Euro league. Good for these guys to get some regualr playing time. Too bad only El-Masri qualifies for the Olympic Team as this would be a great place to give them a look.

^^I'm not sure you two know the level in Singapore. I can't support my disagreement with any real evidence other than conjecture, but a few points:

-Transfermarkt rates the players quite highly, and unlike second division Finland, stats are updated and readily available

-Issey got his start in Singapore and his strike rate was very similar to that of Webb

-Tons of decent A-League, J-League, and K-League players have played there

Webb may not be moving because he's not good enough to take up an international spot in any of the above three leagues. That doesn't mean he couldn't contribute to Canada or move to a better club in the future. El-Masri has already been in the Canada system. Too many of our players rot on the bench in some overrated second tier Euro league. Good for these guys to get some regualr playing time. Too bad only El-Masri qualifies for the Olympic Team as this would be a great place to give them a look.

Interesting that Grant Holt played in the S-League in 2001

http://kallangroar.com/s-league-singapore-cup-league-cup/3322-famous-players-s-league.html

Fact is though, the S-League has to regard Issey as one of it's best ever "somebodies" and he can't even get a call up. It wouldn't be fair to call up Webb but I hope like all Canadians that he can work his way into a position.

Did any one watch the TFC game last night against Tauro? I'd say Morgan is putting himself in a pretty strong position to get the call. He was very versatile last night. Had some great offensive runs/crosses and came back strong defensively. He showed both strength and speed on different occasions.

Did any one watch the TFC game last night against Tauro? I'd say Morgan is putting himself in a pretty strong position to get the call. He was very versatile last night. Had some great offensive runs/crosses and came back strong defensively. He showed both strength and speed on different occasions.

I agree that Ashtone has generally been better and better each game he's played but I still don't think he's there yet in terms of the NT. He still lacks the ability to win the ball off defenders, he typically angles them out and hopes for a mistake. Moving forward though he's shown speed and the ability to get a good cross in however we haven't really seen him beat anyone. If he continues at his current rate of progression I'd say he should get a call and sub appearance in the next round.

I agree that Ashtone has generally been better and better each game he's played but I still don't think he's there yet in terms of the NT. He still lacks the ability to win the ball off defenders, he typically angles them out and hopes for a mistake. Moving forward though he's shown speed and the ability to get a good cross in however we haven't really seen him beat anyone. If he continues at his current rate of progression I'd say he should get a call and sub appearance in the next round.

This is the kind of reasoning that I don't get. The next round will be harder, with significantly more potential for slip ups. We will need the strongest line up possible - including the strongest bench - to make sure that we reach the hex. If we think Morgan (or whoever) is a potential MNT player, and they have other international options, we should use any available gimme games in this round to cap tie them. Waiting until the next round makes no sense to me - a game that we don't need to win against a Carribean minnow is the ideal time to do this.

The whole point of this is to be proactive in locking promising youngsters to the MNT. If we wait until they are fully ready for international play, we may just find that they have opted for another country.

This is the kind of reasoning that I don't get. The next round will be harder, with significantly more potential for slip ups. We will need the strongest line up possible - including the strongest bench - to make sure that we reach the hex. If we think Morgan (or whoever) is a potential MNT player, and they have other international options, we should use any available gimme games in this round to cap tie them. Waiting until the next round makes no sense to me - a game that we don't need to win against a Carribean minnow is the ideal time to do this.

The whole point of this is to be proactive in locking promising youngsters to the MNT. If we wait until they are fully ready for international play, we may just find that they have opted for another country.

We have similar reasoning. I agree we should have the strongest possible team at all times and right now I don't think Ashtone is strong enough to make our A team. If he continues to progress at the rate he is now I would be willing to use a bench spot and possibly a sub appearance to lock him up in the next round when he is good enough. I don't agree with cap tying players just to cap tie them, especially with a player like Ashtone who has been so vocal about his willingness to play for Canada.

Cap tie him. Get him in the squad and the environment. Help him be a leader for the u23's and potentially the future at LB. Start the process now. No reason not to cap him in match 5 or 6 of this round. Waiting until we are desperate for a win or draw v. Panama in the next round makes absolutely no sense unless he has "A" team written all over him - which he won't for at least 2 years.

Morgan looks pretty good he would be one I would cap tie, like others have said its not llike we are wasting spots, bringing in these young guys have value for getting them in the MNT atmosphere at an early age to see what is expected of them and to keep pushing the older more established players. The last cycle for most positions it was fairly set who will play game in and game out if available, by bringing in young guys we can push everyone else and bring in young hungry players.

Slightly pessimistic?

Every one of the 6 games in the next round will be "desperate" for wins or draws regardless if it is Panama unless we go 3-2-1 or 4-0-1 in the first 5 games.

Capping Morgan now in games when we're near-certain to get a draw or win makes a lot more sense than games where we MUST call our best 18 available.

We have similar reasoning. I agree we should have the strongest possible team at all times and right now I don't think Ashtone is strong enough to make our A team. If he continues to progress at the rate he is now I would be willing to use a bench spot and possibly a sub appearance to lock him up in the next round when he is good enough. I don't agree with cap tying players just to cap tie them, especially with a player like Ashtone who has been so vocal about his willingness to play for Canada.

Being friendly here, but we really don't have similar reasoning. I am not advocating the strongest possible team at all times. I am advocating the strongest possible team when a win is needed. When a win isn't needed (like, potentially in the last game or two of this round of WCQ) I am absolutely advocating using late game substitutions to cap tie a select few players who show a lot of promise and who may or may not choose to play for Canada if we wait to long to cap them.

I don't agree with cap tying players just to cap tie them...
So in the end, we fundamentally disagree.

It comes down to two basic positions:

1 - In every instance we should field the stongest squad possible to allow the most time for the best MNT players to gel, even when a victory is not required. Intentionally cap tieing players to the MNT is not a strategy that is to be employed.

vesus

2 - In every instance where a win is required we should field the stongest squad possible to ensure victory. However, if there are WCQ games (or other FIFA sanctioned games for that matter) where a victory is not required, we should name promising uncapped players with other interantional options to the bench and use late game substitutions to cap tie them.

I understand the rationale behind the first position - I just don't agree that it is the most sensible of the two options. The idea of letting the sr team gel in a relatively meaningless game (against what should be pushover oponents) does not IMO override consideration of the fact that players have slipped through the cracks in the past and in all likelihood will continue to do so if we don't start being a bit more ruthless in terms of deepening the MNT player pool.

I couldn't agree more with dyslexic nam.

IF (and big If) we have qualified please use this rare (for us) opportunity and give some others a try this round. I don't want to be in the Hex and need a LB due to injury or suspension or whatever and be giving Morgan or anyone their first cap away v Mexico.

I'd rather know what they like and have seen them play with some of the regulars for a game or even a few minutes in this round if possible.

Also, I can just picture the whining when someone chooses another team over Canada (and there will be others) and we look back and say "Well we could have capped them against St Kitts back in 2011 but we decided to play our top team on that crappy field instead after we already qualified."

Archived