If Canada wins next two games, who should get the call?

Champs

I've lost track of the ever-changing cap rules, so if Morgan or others under 21 are 'capped' in an official FIFA friendly are they truly 'capped' or can they make a 'one-time switch' or whatever the deal was??

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If playing in a friendly sub age 21 they can switch nations ONCE. (I believe this is also for post age 21)

If playing in an official competition (for the SENIOR team) sub age 21 they are cap-tied.

If playing in an official competition post-21 they are cap-tied.

Ed, here's the gist of it:

If anyone plays in an official senior match they are cap-tied. If they play any other match they can still switch. ie. youth official competitions do NOT cap-tie permanently, but force you to have to file the FIFA papers to switch once.

If playing in a friendly sub age 21 they can switch nations ONCE. (I believe this is also for post age 21)

If playing in an official competition sub age 21 they are cap-tied.

If playing in an official competition post-21 they are cap-tied.

I dont believe that that is correct. FIFA changed the rules about four years ago so as to allow even U20 players, who were previously cap tied, to change national sides. Even if they played in an official competition including the U20 WC. How else can we explain how Begovic was allowed to change? he play in Canada 2007.

I believe that jpg75 has it right. But i dont want to go there because everytime that i think that i have these rules figured out, along comes a ruling that makes me question what i undertood or what they write on their officail documents.

I suspect that fifa makes it up along the way, like they do with alot of other things.

PS: The olympic tournament or qualifying tournament cannot cap tie player to a national side. Otherwise JDG jr would be a lost hope for Canada.

Ed, here's the gist of it:

If anyone plays in an official senior match they are cap-tied. .

On Second thought, i dont believe that that part is entirely correct. A friendly (what Fifa called an A-match) is considered an official match but it does not cap tie a player to a national side. Only Senior team WC, WCQ matches as well continental championships and qualifier (ie: Gold cup, Euros, Copa america, ANC) can cap tie a player.

On Second thought, i dont believe that that part is entirely correct. A friendly (what Fifa called an A-match) is considered an official match but it does not cap tie a player to a national side. Only Senior team WC, WCQ matches as well continental championships and qualifier (ie: Gold cup, Euros, Copa america, ANC) can cap tie a player.

When i said an official senior match, i meant an official senior competition ie. World Cup or Continental Cup finals or qualifiers.

GAME #1

------------------------Cox----------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

-------Teibert-----------------------Makubuya-------

-----------------------M. Lam-------------------------

--------------Saiko-------------Stinson---------------

---------------------------------------------------------

---Morgan------Attakora------Straith--------Henry---

---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Stillo--------------------------

GAME #2

----------------------Maheu-----------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

-------Porter-------------------------Craig--------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------J. Hoilett-----------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

-----------Cordon-------------Di Chiara-----------------

---Surprenant------Jonke------Hamilton--------Rago---

-------------------------Santiago--------------------------

In a recent interview I read Simspon say something to the effect of "every time Team Canada plays together, we get better" so even though winning the group may be secured shouldn't we play our best team so the first 11 continues to gel and improve so they will be ready for honduras, cuba and panama.

In a recent interview I read Simspon say something to the effect of "every time Team Canada plays together, we get better" so even though winning the group may be secured shouldn't we play our best team so the first 11 continues to gel and improve so they will be ready for honduras, cuba and panama.

I'm against this.

We still won't be qualified, FYI (and everyone elses) unless St Kitts drops points somewhere.

If we aren't qualified after 4, we call our best 11 and then fill the rest of the roster with our best U-23s.

Archived