If Canada wins next two games, who should get the call?

Champs

My Selection would be:

GK: Robert Stillo, Milan Borjan

Defenders: Ethan Gage, Adam Straith, Nana Attakora, Ashtone Morgan, Doniell Henry, Steven Vittoria, Dejan Jakovic

Midfielders: Shaun Saiko, Joseph Dichiara, Mat Stinson, Gianluca Zavarise, Nickolas Ledgerwood

Forwards: Gavin McCallum, Tossaint Ricketts, Marcus Haber, Julian Uccello, Randi Edwini-Bonsu

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... why waste an international date and a week together with your A team before a crucial round of world cup qualifying? Remember next year is Olympic qualifying so there will be camps for the youths.

Bring in a few DESERVING youths, so we aren't talking Ethan Gage playing(?) reserve football. Zavarise? I'd be surprised if he ever got an A cap again, same with McCallum.

Here are the youths that I think would be reasonable to call in:

Roberto Stillo (loaned out so he's seeing some first team action), Adam Straith, Shaun Saiko, Joseph Di Chiara (if he starts playing again), Russell Teibert (same)

Stretches:

Mozzi Gyorio (maybe a reach but at least he sees good minutes and is effective), Porter (same as Mozzi) Attakora (only through injury and if he's seeing minutes)

Remember also it's not just the youths.. Rob Friend and Oliver Occean will still need games to duke it along with the other strikers (Hume and Ricketts just raised their stock). I wonder if we maybe call in Pozniak finally? We'll also need to figure out how Bernier and Hutchinson figure with the others when they are all fit.

I suspect Hart will continue to call the best squad available. I don't think he was satisfied with the performance and even with our "best" 18, there are still many unresolved questions:

1. Who should play right back?

2. Who should play centre forward?

3. Who should play in goal?

4. What is best midfield combination?

5. Will we see 4-4-2?

^ Totally agree. People have rightly mentioned that one of the benefits of this round is it gives Canada relatively easy matches that can serve to build a cohesive team. Hart's not going to waste that opportunity by calling a pure B team. A few youngsters is fine, but not a whole squad.

While World Cup Qualifying games (even easy ones, after moving through) may not be the best place to experiment too widly, I think the CSA is doing itself a great disservice by not investing in the U-23 and young "B" squads.

Every cycle, we seem to produce solid player pools at the U-17 and U-20 levels, only to seem them fizzle afterward. The CSA needs to bridge the gap and keep players involved until they are 23/24/25, before settling on who to keep for the "A" squad.

Sure, the MLS teams/academies will help, as is FC Edmonton (great job there!), but the CSA still needs to keep a wider youth pool engaged every year, to expose and evaluate at the international level. No reason why we can't hold an annual camp or two (with two games) for the U-23 and/or an U-25 "B" squad.

Regarding the November matches (if we're through), I'd like to see our current "fringe" players get more playing time -- say a Jakovic/Hainault CB partnership (or Edgar in there), Borjan in goal, Straith at right back, Peters on the right wing Ricketts/Hume/Occean up front. Something like that.

Play the best team possible.

Every time.

Caveat - IF we are guaranteed to progress and a high profile player/club specifically requests to not be called up (Atiba maybe?) then I can see that being a good reason to not antagonise the club. But only IF we are guaranteed.

If we have clinched then by all means play some youth, sprinkled in, but only those with realistic chances of earning multiple caps.

The argument for gelling and momentum is flawed when the next game after this round is 6 months later. There should (better be) some friendlies before the next round that the "A" team can gel with, this a really rare chance to cap tie and experiment that Canada doesn't see very often. seriously when was the last time Canada had this opportunity to really expand the pool?

Would you rather see some of these young guys play in November in St Kitts or taking a roster spot in a tune up friendly just before the next round? If not at this opportunity then when?

If we have clinched then by all means play some youth, sprinkled in, but only those with realistic chances of earning multiple caps.

The argument for gelling and momentum is flawed when the next game after this round is 6 months later. There should (better be) some friendlies before the next round that the "A" team can gel with, this a really rare chance to cap tie and experiment that Canada doesn't see very often. seriously when was the last time Canada had this opportunity to really expand the pool?

Would you rather see some of these young guys play in November in St Kitts or taking a roster spot in a tune up friendly just before the next round? If not at this opportunity then when?

Six months?

I have read two different accounts of when we will play. The last one was June - Mid October.

I don't think we should expect our big names to make the trip across the pond for meaningless games - in fact - I'd say that Europe based players would get the option to stay home once we've clinched - and we use a NA based squad, except for some European players we've not seen. This would be consistent with what the americans do.

Regarding the November matches (if we're through), I'd like to see our current "fringe" players get more playing time -- say a Jakovic/Hainault CB partnership (or Edgar in there), Borjan in goal, Straith at right back, Peters on the right wing Ricketts/Hume/Occean up front. Something like that.

This makes more sense to me. It appeases some of the guys who haven't seen much playing time and allows us to move guys around and see if they fit somewhere else.

Can't go into these games with a completely different u23 squad from the first 4 games. Some vets still need these games for a variety of reasons.

GK - Borjan and Stillo most likely...

DF - Jakovic, Hainault (?? maybe drop him and let Edgar play there), Edgar, and probably call De Jong as he hasn't played these first two games. Straith for sure. Lindsay from TFC.

MF - Gage and Teibert if they are playing. Bernier if fit. Pacheco. Henry from TFC. DiChiara if playing. Saiko would be a great call-up.

FW - Occean and Friend each need their shot, and I'd suggest continuing to call Jackson if it won't hurt him at Norwich (trying to get him some goals!). Ricketts for sure.

(I am sure I've missed some guys - off top of head)

Basically, the only a few guys who should NOT be called (JDG, Hutch, De Ro, McKenna, Hirsch, Simpson, Kluka, a few others). But definitely there are some youngsters that need time - these are guys with minimal caps, no caps, potentially bright "A" futures (Teibert, Gage), and guys who hadn't had the opportunity for whatever reason to feature much or at all in the first 4 games. Make it a mix of vets fighting for "A" team (Friend, Occean), youngsters uncapped with bright futures (Teibert, DiChiara), and the newby "A" guys (Edgar).

Whoever keeps mentioning Poz needs to move on! Might as well call Stalteri.

I don't think we should expect our big names to make the trip across the pond for meaningless games - in fact - I'd say that Europe based players would get the option to stay home once we've clinched - and we use a NA based squad, except for some European players we've not seen. This would be consistent with what the americans do.

The matches are on FIFA match days anyways, friendlies are "meaningless" but you don't see players skipping out on them without reason. If they don't come they are just staying home and being lazy and that's unacceptable when we need prep games.

I guess I am too pessimistic, but with such a stretch between qualitfying rounds I would lobby to cap tie as many prospects as possible if we have one or two throwaway games. For a couple of defectors, the writing has been on the wall for a while, but some came out of the blue (e.g. Bunbury, Begovic). It may be cynical, but I say we lock 'em in as soon as possible. We have been on the receiving end of the buggery too often - time to play some hardball.

I guess I am too pessimistic, but with such a stretch between qualitfying rounds I would lobby to cap tie as many prospects as possible if we have one or two throwaway games. For a couple of defectors, the writing has been on the wall for a while, but some came out of the blue (e.g. Bunbury, Begovic). It may be cynical, but I say we lock 'em in as soon as possible. We have been on the receiving end of the buggery too often - time to play some hardball.

But we also have qualifying games next year (and hopefully the year after) if someone pops up out of the blue who is suddenly good enough for another nation. As for players skipping to play for Jamaica or a lesser nation, if they wanna do they that then screw em!

But we also have qualifying games next year (and hopefully the year after) if someone pops up out of the blue who is suddenly good enough for another nation. As for players skipping to play for Jamaica or a lesser nation, if they wanna do they that then screw em!

thats exactly the point..we will hopefully have more chances in the future for other young players, but why skip a chance now? we might be in a tooth and nail fight next round every game and not have a chance to call anyone new..or "knock on wood" we run into a few injuries and need to call up someone..wouldn't it be good to have a bigger player pool to draw from that we have seen in action at that level?

I don't understand why you would wait until later rounds against tougher opposition to start doing this. Given our limited list of FIFA-recognized games for the purposes of cap-tying (sp?), this is the ideal time to do it - if it is something you want the program to do.

And with regards to your 'screw em' attitude, I will simply point out that we don't have the kind of depth that would allow that luxury. JDG2's first choice is obviously Holland, but many die hard MNT supporters are hoping he never gets the call so that he is more likely to choose Canada. Hoilet is clearly curious about his England possibilities, but again, we are all hoping that Canada ends up being his most realistic option for international play. In both of those cases we are not prepared to say 'screw em' despite their obvious divided loyalties, and I think the same reasons apply in the argument to cap tie someone who might otherwise opt for another program in the future.

Don't get me wrong - I would love it if all of Canada's elligible elite players bled red and white, and thumped the maple leaf tattoo on their chest at every opportunity, but everyone knows the history to this point. So, despite my wish that patriotism and loyalty would drive our player pool, I am not above advocating the use of official matches to cap tie young elligible players and limit their future international options to exactly one country. One of the reasons people have opted to play for other countries is because we aren't anything like a force in footy. So if it takes a few years of low-ball tactics to build a deep pool of talent that will get us better results going forward, than so be it.

If we are ever in the position that we don't need to add quality players with other national team options and aspirations, then so be it. But we are no where near that point yet. And that isn't to say that the guys we would cap in the next few months are the next Hoilet or JDG2 - but who knows who will be the next late bloomer or international journeyman that would improve our squad going forward.

Let's not forget a major positive aspect of playing these minnows in this round of qualifying: public perception.

The casual footie fan has seen the St. Lucia score flash on their screens and said to him/herself: "Hey look, Canada's men actually dominated another country". And then less than a week later, found himself thinking: "Hey, they did it again! What's going on here!?"

I know this is true, because more than one of these people has approached me since Tuesday night and expressed that very sentiment. We are playing for a World Cup spot and we are being perceived as dominant. If we continue to field our strongest XI, and keep getting stronger (as we've seen happen just in the two opening matches), no reason we don't really put the wood to St. Lucia next time around and really give Casual Footie Fan something to talk about.

I think the buzz being progressively being generated is an important factor to be considered by everyone from the CSA to the players to us.

Qualifying games are not games to try...and you should not understimate a team in football never...or you will lose NZ almost beat italy at world cup,,,,t&t drew vs sweden soccer is not a logic game...it is not basketball

from the new young players that i have seen I remark 3 ,,,, the best one is ZAVARISE is a good right midfielder, STINSON good central midfielder, and there is a small left attacking midfielder at VANCOUVER WHITECAPS that is very tricky he is very TELBERT or something like that

with 30 PLUS players PANEL CANADA should be ok for the Q...games but needs a depth just in case ....

GK lars, borjan, kenny stamatopulos , greg sutton and Haidar Al-Shaïbani

DEF edgar, heinault, mckenna, jakovic, straith, kuklowski, ledgerwood, de jong, jazic, cann, attakora, (stalteri ?)

mid hutchinson, de guzman, dunfield, johnson, bernier, nakajima farran, peters, simpson , pacheco, ( imhoff ?) , Jonathan BB, ZAVARISE

att de rosario, jackson, hume, occean, friend, gerba, ricketts, McCallum, haber, ucello

Still I am with those who are saying that because of our very sparse yearly schedule, we need to take advantage of all games to gel and fine-tune the A side. Playing B sides for experimental purposes should be the luxury of the busy, organized national program IMO, not one like ours currently is.

Archived