If Canada wins next two games, who should get the call?

Champs

Still I am with those who are saying that because of our very sparse yearly schedule, we need to take advantage of all games to gel and fine-tune the A side. Playing B sides for experimental purposes should be the luxury of the busy, organized national program IMO, not one like ours currently is.

TOTALLY AGREE that is football knowledge ...., and having a street-wise sense that means football ...the only way to improve a team that plays outside your nation is playing them together most of the time to make them get use to each other ,,,,,that is soccer lesson number 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have to keep playing our best....as many have mentioned on this and other posts familiarity will help us agaist stonger opponents...yes certainly let one or two of the senior guys rest later on but lets not make a full roster change just to play youth...also remember players get hurt...young guys will be given the opportunity to play....

I still think SH should bring the best guys he can. Maybe call 1 or 2 guys but not a roster of crappy players who would lose to St Kitts. And anyways unless Saint-Lucia is able to go in St Kitts and get a result, it's highly unprobable we get there. So bring players you think can help this team and who didn't get a call because he's a 23rd on the depth chart. I don't mind if Hart calls a guy like Nakajima-Farran or Pozniak to see what he can do now. But please don't talk about bringing young Canadians who are still raw. Frank Yallop captied Jaime Peters when he was 17. (And played him too much in critical games)

If there's any games we shouldn't take lightly in this group is would be the St. Kitts games. I'm still not convinced that Puerto Rico is the stronger of the two. After these next 2 games I can realistically see St. Kitts with 8 points and maybe even 10 (I'll assume we have 12 too). We will need to send out best at all times IMO (or have Morgan or someone like that as a late sub in the next St. Lucia game, but that's as far as it goes)

My Selection would be:

GK: Robert Stillo, Milan Borjan

Defenders: Ethan Gage, Adam Straith, Nana Attakora, Ashtone Morgan, Doniell Henry, Steven Vittoria, Dejan Jakovic

Midfielders: Shaun Saiko, Joseph Dichiara, Mat Stinson, Gianluca Zavarise, Nickolas Ledgerwood

Forwards: Gavin McCallum, Tossaint Ricketts, Marcus Haber, Julian Uccello, Randi Edwini-Bonsu

This is nonsense

We need to have the core of our team for these games and do our best to treat the games as if they matter even if they dont. You don't get better by showing up and half assing games with no intensity. That said I don't think this negates bringing in a few young guys per game and cap tieing some guys who are a bit of a stretch. The good thing is that sure we may not have our number 1 team for every minute of that game, but you better believe bringing in young guys they will be playing with a lot of intensity and treating the game as if its the World Cup. So although we should be bringing strong teams, sprinkling in a few up and comers won't necessarily ruin the atmosphere of the team, I actually think it freshens teams up and keeps an air of hunger. (look at what Man U have been doing this year)

We need to have the core of our team for these games and do our best to treat the games as if they matter even if they dont. You don't get better by showing up and half assing games with no intensity. That said I don't think this negates bringing in a few young guys per game and cap tieing some guys who are a bit of a stretch. The good thing is that sure we may not have our number 1 team for every minute of that game, but you better believe bringing in young guys they will be playing with a lot of intensity and treating the game as if its the World Cup. So although we should be bringing strong teams, sprinkling in a few up and comers won't necessarily ruin the atmosphere of the team, I actually think it freshens teams up and keeps an air of hunger. (look at what Man U have been doing this year)

If the games end up meaning nothing why do you make players fly eight to fifteen hours over from europe for nothing. And risk injury. Players are not stupid, when a game means nothing, they know it means nothing and they will play like it means nothing.

There is time in the spring and next summer to play friendlies if friendlies are needed. And against real opponents.

If the games end up meaning nothing why do you make players fly eight to fifteen hours over from europe for nothing. And risk injury. Players are not stupid, when a game means nothing, they know it means nothing and they will play like it means nothing.

There is time in the spring and next summer to play friendlies if friendlies are needed. And against real opponents.

The specific result may mean nothing but the bigger picture is very meaningful.

Also, I'd suggest 1-1 at the half, and 1-0 at the half in the first two games suggests our opponents are real.

The core of the team is McKenna, Hutchinson, DeGuzeman, Simpson and maybe Lars, Hainault, DeRosario and Jackson. Call half of them, let the others stay with their teams, start the 1/2 core and the subs from the last four games, bring in the kids for training, to see how they do and use them as subs. That way the framework of the team stays the same, the bench for the first four games gets promoted to starters and new kids form the bench.

I'm not advocating starting a team full of 18 yr olds. BUT, if our progress to the next round is ensured with a couple of games to spare (a caveat that some people are conveniently ignoring in this debate), then I am in favour of strategically calling up a few uncapped players per game who are prospects and who have other international options. The best of them of them could be started to see how they handle playing with the senior squad, and a few of them could be brought on as subs off the bench. Without completely ruining the teams chemistry or basically fielding a youth team, we could effectively cap anywhere from 6 to 12 young players if we had two 'bonus' games.

There will always be a reason not to do this.

"We should always field the strongest team possible"

"The senior squad needs games to gel"

"The Gold Cup needs to be used to get the team playing well together"

"WCQ is too important to field B teams"

etc.

Unfortunately, we have a limited number of games that will count for the purpose of cap tying players. And in the context of those limited number of games, a couple of 'throw away' games against minnows in the earliest round of WCQ is the best opportuinity to do this. I get that people enjoy our MNT winning, and that it is good PR to notch a few victories, but in the grand scheme of things I think that it is more important to permanently tie some people to our national program.

Tiebert should get a call based on his first few MLS games alone. I could care less if he's not playing right now. As for TFC, Stinson could play CM in place of Dunfield for a game. This would not ruin our are chemistry at all. Leave Johnson or Simpson off for Tiebert and Dunfield or De Guzman off for Stinson. As for others like Morgan and Henry, second half subs for now.

Why even think about leaving core players off the team... Are you telling me that replacing Peters with a young player such as stinson or teibert would ruin the chemistry.. Peters looks like he is there more to make the bench look full then to get the nod in any game situation... He is not getting used when we are down... tied... or in the lead... Put someone on the bench then when the game is in hand can be given a run out to gain some first hand experience.... hell even training with the core players before hand can boost the development of a young player... then who knows...

Why even think about leaving core players off the team... Are you telling me that replacing Peters with a young player such as stinson or teibert would ruin the chemistry.. Peters looks like he is there more to make the bench look full then to get the nod in any game situation... He is not getting used when we are down... tied... or in the lead... Put someone on the bench then when the game is in hand can be given a run out to gain some first hand experience.... hell even training with the core players before hand can boost the development of a young player... then who knows...

Exactly. 4th Dmid, 3rd goalie, 4th winger, 3rd forward etc. It would help if we brought 23 players, but the CSA is always looking to cheap out on costs...

Exactly. 4th Dmid, 3rd goalie, 4th winger, 3rd forward etc. It would help if we brought 23 players, but the CSA is always looking to cheap out on costs...

What is your recent evidence for this claim? At the very least, the fact that all the players flew home from Puerto Rico business class suggests the CSA has other priorities besides the bottom line.

What is your recent evidence for this claim? At the very least, the fact that all the players flew home from Puerto Rico business class suggests the CSA has other priorities besides the bottom line.

Calling 19 players instead of 23. Some countries, like the Americans, will sometimes call in 30 players for double qualifier dates.

^ I just don't see how that's productive. We just don't have enough decent players that calling in that many will be worthwhile for either the player or the team. There's room for a couple of young guys on a 19 man squad. Just don't call guys who clearly don't have a future with this squad, like Peters.

Just don't call guys who clearly don't have a future with this squad, like Peters.

Yes. Although i am not sure about Peters yet. But what i find frustrating about this thread (and particular a post from one or two pages back) is that names are getting suggested of players who i see has having no future as internationals. And that are even questionable as having pro careers. By my count, i spoted about seven on that list who have not shown to me that thay can make an impact on a game. One or two are not even young players anymore.

There seems to be a thinking along the lines that if a name is mentioned here at one time or another by a poster, no matter if he has been seen or not, he is automatically deemed to be good and a prospective intenational.

Some players are just names. I saw a few at the last U20 that i thought were not very good at all and yet their names crop up as automatically assumed to be worthy internationals. I hate to name names, because this is public site and its not fair to slag players who represent our country. How about seeing them play and judging them on their play rather than the number of times someone throws their names out there on the voyageurs site.

It happens sometime, not everybody can be good at this sport. If there meaningless games coming up, i am qll for giving younger prospects some caps. But not anybody, call someone who can play at an international level or who has a future that suggests he can play at the internatioal level.

^ I just don't see how that's productive. We just don't have enough decent players that calling in that many will be worthwhile for either the player or the team. There's room for a couple of young guys on a 19 man squad. Just don't call guys who clearly don't have a future with this squad, like Peters.

I think a large part of the problem with this team is that a large group of players believe their spot in the lineup is set in stone, so i'd like to see some younger and/or hungrier players come in and get the incumbents worrying about their spot on the team. Whether the spots are actually in jeopardy is irrelevant.

We don't have the luxury of using the last few games to cap players and give them experience. We need all the time for our first 18 to get comfortable and learn how to play off each other. Those are the guys who will be our hope to get to the hex so they need to all be on the same page of the playbook.

Archived