Sept. 2, 2011: Canada v. St. Lucia (R)

loyola

Just as important? Nicaragua beating Dominica (a team from an island with not even half the population of St. Lucia) is an expected result. Equally Panama is a much stronger team than Nicaragua so it would be a major upset for Nicaragua to take any points from Panama. Anything can happen but Panama not getting out of this group even if they play poorly is extremely unlikely.

Panama not getting out of there group would an equal or greater shock than us not winning ours.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look around last night's CONCACAF results, I think most outside of Canada will shrug their shoulders at our result. Of course, given that we were at home and add that we didn't play well in the Gold Cup, I gave myself some leeway to wring my hands in the first half but overall the performance and result wasn't a big concern for me. Crushing minnows doesn't really seem to suit the way we play and that's where I think this round of games will benefit us. Like last night, we'll have tons of possession and teams will pack the final third against us. We'll find out who has the ability in the midfield to open teams up and who can finish up front whereas normally we have to balance our evaluation of our attackers with the service they receive and whether we can keep the ball. Plus, playing away in CONCACAF, which we so rarely get the chance to do, can only benefit us, regardless the quality of the opposition. But last night was so stop/start in the second half it was tough to sustain anything.

The test for me this round is on Tuesday. If we can play to our strengths and generate and finish chances away against a team who actually play footy for a living, I will be happy. With the other result last night, we can probably afford a draw in the big picture but that would be a hit to the confidence.

I love footy but last night was testament to why so many NA sports fans hate the culture of it. It's time FIFA did something about time wasting because it is truly a disgrace to see stuff like last night. To me, FIFA's current stance to it (Fairplay, please campaign, etc) is akin to a parent who tells their kid not to do something and never has any consequences when they defy them, time and time again.

One thing not mentioned too much so far is the absolutely horrendous, dangerous to the players referreeing by the American reffing crew. Not an excuse for the result but we need to feel fortunate no one was injured. The CSA should really complain about this to CONCACAF. How can a team that is constantly fouling like St. Lucia was only end up with 3 yellow cards. If the ref does not punish dangerous play then it will continue and this ref absolutly needed to send St. Lucia a message that such play was unacceptable and would not go unpunished. Instead he put every player on the pitch (even those of St. Lucia) at risk by complete negligence of doing his job. The ref in question is Jair Marrufo who is fairly controversial himself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jair_Marrufo

http://mls.theoffside.com/major-league-soccer/blanco-and-referee-jair-marrufo-gets-a-one-game-chance-to-clear-his-head-which-is-not-a-suspension-after-shirt-incident.html

If we keep getting reffing like this we will have injuries before this round is over. I would expect better from an American ref.

One thing not mentioned too much so far is the absolutely horrendous, dangerous to the players referreeing by the American reffing crew. Not an excuse for the result but we need to feel fortunate no one was injured. The CSA should really complain about this to CONCACAF. How can a team that is constantly fouling like St. Lucia was only end up with 3 yellow cards. If the ref does not punish dangerous play then it will continue and this ref absolutly needed to send St. Lucia a message that such play was unacceptable and would not go unpunished. Instead he put every player on the pitch (even those of St. Lucia) at risk by complete negligence of doing his job. The ref in question is Jair Marrufo who is fairly controversial himself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jair_Marrufo

http://mls.theoffside.com/major-league-soccer/blanco-and-referee-jair-marrufo-gets-a-one-game-chance-to-clear-his-head-which-is-not-a-suspension-after-shirt-incident.html

If we keep getting reffing like this we will have injuries before this round is over. I would expect better from an American ref.

Completely agree with your last point, and unfortunately this is not new for CONCACAF, the standard of officiating in the region has been poor and it's not limited only to officials from specific countries or regions within CONCACAF (I've heard that argument, though not in your post here). Even the call that resulted in the sending off Marrufo should have made a straight red and not simply a second yellow. It's one thing when the officiating is bad; it's quite another when it can lead to players getting seriously injured, which could well have happened the way the St. Lucia players were tackling. Ironically it reminded me of Panama against the U.S. in the 2006 hex in Panama City (Mauricio Navarro had that game) in terms of players being allowed to foul recklessly and with intent to injure.

A lot of mention about our play down the wing and the crosses that go nowhere, which i agree. Yet i was thinking how this is something that we lost when Jim Brennan retired and left the picture. It seems that this was a part of the game where we were better at in the early part of the decade under Holger Osieck.

Interesting thing to note while slightly unrelated... We always b*tch about our attendance woes and rightfully so. However, it's refreshing (or sad?) to see that at the US Costa Rica match in Los Angeles... a paltry 15,798 decided to show up...

Wow that's weak considering the majority were probably Ticos

Perhaps. But ill take that over bias or corrupt refereeing. Wait until we get Panama next year. Thats has got to be a major concern. Hopefull the CSA will be on its toes for that one

^^ I am not going to accuse this ref of corruption (although it would not be the first time this ref has been accused of this) because I doubt St. Lucia would have the money/motivation to pay him off and it would probably be a bit too conspiracy theory to think of Honduras or Panama trying to get us eliminated to face an easier opponent. However, I would argue that any ref who is reffing a game between a bad side that is constantly fouling the superior opponents in an often dangerous manner and who does not call appropriate fouls/cards is showing a major bias. I would also say this type of bias can affect the outcome of a game as much as the "iffy" penalty calls. Indeed at the very least the ref let at least one obvious penalty call go that should have been called in addition to the hand ball, something we also saw against Honduras in the last WCQ. This ref is as bad as what we have faced against better teams in previous WCQ, we were just lucky to get him in an earlier round and hopefully will not see him again.

We have enough talented offensive players to mix in that spot and he's still finding ways to get involved playing his natural spot, so I don't see the need to move him up.

"talented is relative" Sorry to say but we really don't have an offensive player that knows how to play or is capable of playing what is traditionally referred to as the No. 10 position. That is someone who can make the quality passes to other offensive players to create goals and to score when the opportunity presents itself. Our offensive players tend to be able to create opportunities for themselves (not necessarily scoring) but do not seem to be as able to create goals for others. As for Johnson, I am not convinced that he is the answer.

Guest Brethers

Jackson? De-Ro? Both could play that role. Jackson's scored at every level he's played at (he's only played 5 minutes in the premiership before anyone tries to call me out on that haha) and he genuinely can be a handful to play against, I've seen it first hand. With regards to Peters not playing, I have to agree with an earlier post stating reasons possibly being lack of attitude or application in training. Whenever Ipswich have hired a new manager Peters finds himself out in the cold and then works his way back on the squad through match performances. He must have a poor attitude in training. Also, he hasn't been playing for club so justifying his involvement would be harder for Hart when he's got players like JBB who have been playing first team football. Still want him to get a chance though...

Jackson? De-Ro? Both could play that role. Jackson's scored at every level he's played at (he's only played 5 minutes in the premiership before anyone tries to call me out on that haha) and he genuinely can be a handful to play against, I've seen it first hand.

It's more the ability of the player to bring other teammates into the attack (ie with a timely pass) rather than just scoring. Jackson may be able to play that role but wasn't in this game. Simpson may be able to as well but I like him on the outside where he can use his pace more. As for DeRo, I haven't seen him being a great passer of the ball in the past. DeRo can shoot and can score but I don't think he makes the rest of his teammates better.

Loved the atmosphere and the crowd--from my vantage point Voyageurs did a spectacular job. An often frustrating, even nerve-wracking affair, but ultimately an entertaining one, so long as one didn't have Germanic-level expectations for our mighty club. I haven't heard much comment here about the style in which St. Lucia played--9 to 10 men back, clogging up the middle, tackling clumsily, succumbing to the myriad snipers we so audaciously snuck in and posted in every corner of BMO field, and refusing to open up their own game even after they were down 2. It was never going to be pretty, and we were always going to have to spread things out by using the wings excessively. There, some of our deliveries were very poor and others--particularly those low hard drives across goal which give a keeper fits and which should have added at least 2-3 goals to our tally--had me out of my seat. Regardless, with a team like St. Lucia, whether 10-1 or 1-1, the result would always be called into question. I ran into Nigel Reed briefly on the Go train and for once agreed with his assessment: "Mission accomplished, for one game at least." We created loads of chances, and it was refreshing to watch the four-pronged attack of Simpson, DeRo, Hume and Jackson after years of purposeless lone target men. We also confirmed precisely what we already knew ourselves to be: a mediocre team with some good young talent, some promise for the future, and a lot of work to be done, especially converting in the final third and defending out own. Hopefully, whether we are there in Brazil or not, much of that work will be done in the coming rounds. My biggest current concern is Hutch--he was quality as usual but clearly not right physically. With him we generally control the midfield against equal or inferior opponents. Without him, the playing field is much leveled. One other note--anyone else notice some of the horrible offside calls against our wingers? That far linesman clearly did not understand the concept of 'when the ball is kicked'.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if we went 6-0-0 this round. You'd still have a few folks calling us garbage or not playing like Germany. I never knew that being a Voyageur meant that you have to be suicidally negative. Relax and cheer up ladies and gentlemen!

Couple of quick notes, late in the day: JDG was not bad at all. I think he is inching his way back to quality, and as our midfield and forwards build chemistry he'll show his mettle. (I hope). I know our opponent was fatigued by this point, but DeRo on the left flank in the last twenty minutes was pretty effective. We had numerous chances, almost all from his crosses from the left, including one goal. I like him on the left because he is creative, but contained. He does not have Josh's pace, but I sort of like Josh playing in front of Dero.

I liked how the forwards started coming back to support the ball, to get open, in the second half. Instead of going for a long run up the field, they came back to face the ball, lay it off and then create space etc. Everyone was doing this. Our third goal was a direct result of Hume coming back, laying it off, and then Hutch springing Josh for the goal. I expect to see more such movement and cohesion in Puerto Rico. We NEED it.

JBB was fine in many respects, but not with his passing. Peters is not an upgrade in that respect. I'd rather stick Hainault on the right and get Jazic or Kluka to play with McKenna in the middle. If Jakovic was healthy, I'd consider sticking him on the right because he's got more pace and skill than Hainault. Actually, I'd rather see a backline that looks like this for our next game:

Hainault Edgar McKenna Kluka

edgar is a million times better as a centre back but compared to JBB he is a million times better at right back....

even if it is not his best position, how we can have a guy who has played 2 dozen games in the prem at right back sitting on the bench behind a guy also playing out of his position but is a bencher in the BL3.

Archived